• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hey Yo: WWE, AEW, Impact and More

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@Phil Do you watch Dark Side of the Ring? I'm late to the party and just started watching it not too long ago. I'm already almost done with season two. I haven't been able to stop watching, it's so good. Most of the episodes are really intense and has some great insight on things I didn't even know or completely forgot about. I know season four just ended and I hope it goes on for awhile.

Edited by Sharpshooter

Yeah they always put their spin on things, and I never take any of their WCW stuff seriously because they like to crap on them and their superstars any chance they get. At least here it's independent and everyone gets a fair shake and their stories told as they should. WWE wouldn't even touch some of this stuff anyway such as covering the Benoit tragedy and Owen Hart's death, especially since the wife wants nothing to do with them anyway.

If by "spin," you mean distort history to always paint themselves in the most positive light while simultaneously denigrating everything non-WWE, then yes... spin. It's their entire MO. We're the greatest. Everything else is "second best." Hell, HHH has some stupid line in the Cody doc, apparently, where he talks about Cody coming back to WWE because "he didn't want to be champion of some second rate company." They just can't help themselves.

Same with the JBL color commentary after the Sting-HHH match at Wrestlemania. Something about "...and the right side won again!" was all I needed to hear to know I don't need to ever watch this product again.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. 😆 Yeah, Triple H did say that. Good documentary otherwise, but that was cringe. I remember back when Dynamite was getting higher ratings than NXT, and he said, 'Congratulations to them. They beat our developmental." Of course, you knew it bothered him.

Also can confirm JBL said that. As much as I wanted to see more Sting, he really shouldn't have gone there. Back in interviews years ago, he stated he was always wary of going to WWE because of how he'd be used and treated. He also mentioned how other WCW guys who went over there were treated. Sure enough, that's exactly what happened. But I guess he really wanted that pay day and all the royalties and Hall of Fame induction.

He's over in AEW still killing it at his age. Naturally his WWE run is the worst. They couldn't even give him one singles win. Of course Triple H has to go over and beat Sting at Wrestlemania. All WWE used that for was a symbolic final nail in the coffin for WCW. The big WWE legend beating the last WCW legend and DX over the NWO.

• Keeps it 100 1

Edge Could Retire On WWE SmackDown, But A Potential Move To AEW Awaits

The former 11-time world champion told ET Canada (h/t F4WOnline.com) that his current WWE deals comes to an end after his first-ever bout against longtime friend Sheamus on Friday’s SmackDown: “Here's what I can honestly say, and this isn't the answer that everybody is going to want: I truly don't know. I can with 100% truth say 'I don't know.'...This is the last match on my current contract. So, I don't know. I honestly don't know. I probably won't know until I get to the locker room that night and just decompress.”

For Edge, the lure of a potential brief run in AEW has to be there, doesn’t it?

Consider this: Before Edge made his seemingly impossible in-ring return in WWE in 2020, he had discussions with AEW about joining the then-fledgling company. Edge ultimately inked a very financially friendly three-year deal with WWE, one that featured a limited workload and resulted in the popular star winning the Royal Rumble and headlining WrestleMania once again.

Exactly how he’d fare in AEW, though, isn’t clear. For every ex-WWE star who made their way to AEW and had a ton of success there, there’s at least one or two—like Aleister Black, Anrade or Miro—who made, at best, a lateral move. Edge, however, is a bigger name than the vast majority of those stars, and he and former tag team partner Christian Cage, currently in AEW, reportedly want to reunite one more time before retiring.

Time is running out, though, and it’s possible that an Edge and Christian reunion could even take place in WWE. But the reality is that AEW presents a better opportunity for both stars to get their wish of wrestling together one last time, possibly against longtime rivals The Hardys or even Edge’s close friends FTR, who trained with Edge prior to his 2020 comeback.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/blakeoestriecher/2023/08/18/edge-could-retire-on-wwe-smackdown-but-a-potential-move-to-aew-awaits/?sh=6b3007a559d5

That would be great! Christian still has time left on his AEW deal, so a reunion in WWE isn't happening. I had read about a reunion possibly happening awhile ago, and Edge going over there is the only way for it to happen. He's going in the Hall of Fame and got his huge payday in his latest contract. Do it!

When Christian's AEW deal expires, they can always do something together back in WWE anyway at some point. Christian should go in the Hall of Fame at that point.

6 hours ago, Phil said:

Besides those great ladder matches with the Hardys and ragging on Angle... What's the appeal to Edge? Such a B level guy with a kinda lame attitude.  Never got it. Anybody who's finisher is a spear is kinda blah. He's not even in his prime.  Why bother.

I also haven't watched any wrestling since before covid.  I do see clips on social media of some of these newer guys though. I like this MJF guys mic skills. Hate LA Knight. 

Who's really worth watching these days? Like can't miss? 

Edited by The Dude

I would love and Edge and Christian reunion as a swan song for the both of them, Edge especially. I know Matt Hardy said recently he wants them vs. The Hardyz as his final match.

@PhilDid you catch All In? Sting came out to 'Seek and Destroy'! That was some serious nostalgia, and kudos to TK for giving out the royalties for that to happen!

I did not. Saw a bunch of clips. It looked incredible. Sounds like it was an incredible show. I read they grossed over $10 million day-of alone, so this is a rousing success for them in spite of another backstage Punk fight.

Exclusive: Jack Perry likely to receive more blame by management for CM Punk backstage incident, but Punk not blameless

PWTorch is told that in the aftermath of the incident between C.M. Punk and Jack Perry last night that Punk, in the heat of the moment, was threatening to quit AEW over his frustration with everything that happened. Punk has made it clear since his return that he wants a drama-free locker room environment; he has largely achieved that on Collision, although it has come with controversy because of his restrictions on whom he does and doesn’t want allowed backstage at Collision.

When Punk and Perry crossed paths backstage after Perry’s match and before Punk’s match, eyewitness accounts characterize the exchange as starting with Punk asking Perry if they have a problem. Perry said that Punk started something online and that was his response to it.

That was a reference to the belief that Punk’s camp a few weeks ago put out info to try to make Perry look bad. A story surfaced that Perry wanted to use real glass in an angle and thta Punk provided “veteran wisdom” to steer him away from that. This was seen as an example of how Punk and his like-minded people with influence behind the scenes on Collision were trying to dial back gratuitous violence and high-risk situations so that when there is more violent imagery or more high-risk content in matches, it will mean more and resonate longer.

Perry felt that story getting out was an attempt by Punk and his camp to show him up or embarrass him, thus Perry decided to fire back with an unscripted, unapproved commented live on the Zero Hour PPV pre-show in the midst of his match against Hook.

One veteran AEW wrestler tells PWTorch that Khan has fostered an environment where younger wrestlers without a lot of experience in the national spotlight feel free to “go into business for themselves” online or live on TV to try to settle scores or send messages. This actually has included veteran wrestlers, too. That same veteran wrestler does feel Punk overreacted to Perry and should have let it go, but believes more firm leadership would dissuade some wrestlers from sparking these situations.

Another AEW source close to management believes Perry, in this situation, will end up with more of the blame than Punk because he initiated the situation with his comments live during his match since he should’ve known it would cause an issue. Several people in AEW – wrestlers and people in other roles – are frustrated with the fact that a behind the scenes incident with Punk once again distracted from what they are touting as an excellent show and a high point in AEW’s history otherwise.

It’s important to note that an internal investigation could lead to a different perspective on Perry, but PWTorch’s sources early belief is that Perry will face more ramifications than Punk.

https://www.pwtorch.com/site/2023/08/28/exclusive-jack-perry-likely-to-receive-more-blame-by-management-for-cm-punk-backstage-incident-but-punk-not-blameless/

• 3 weeks later...

If you haven't yet, I recommend watching the 'Wrestlers' miniseries on Netflix. It profiles OVW and how it is running a smaller promotion and it goes inside the people who run it (including Al Snow) as well as the wrestlers there. Really good insight and some drama. I completely forgot OVW was still around. Obviously it's no longer WWE"s developmental promotion and has been its own thing for quite some time. Any wrestling fan will appreciate this.

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Thanks 1