• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hey Yo: WWE, AEW, Impact and More

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Catching up on last week's Smack Down.  That Ricochet finisher in the SDWC final match was sick.  That was a lot of flips off the top rope.  RESPECT.  

Going a little further back in the show, there was a backstage segment with Sami and the Usos.  Can anyone who saw the scene last week summarize what happen?  I am watching at work with no sound.  Captions couldn't keep up with the conversation.  All I got out of it was something about food, hoping you guys are hungry, take Solo with you because you've been making enemies, something about not trusting Sami, lying to his face, and something about winning the match at Survivor Series.  I guess I can try to find a clip on youtube

Edited by SaveByRichter35

WWE’s Roman Reigns and Drew McIntyre are out of action with the same injury

Following the announcement by Drew McIntyre that he is not medically cleared to compete, WWE’s biggest star, Roman Reigns, is also on the sidelines with an injury. Oddly enough, both stars are out with the same injury.

“Both Reigns and McIntyre are out of action for right now due to suffering ruptured eardrums at Survivor Series. It’s a short-term thing, and both should be back soon.”

https://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/wwes-roman-reigns-and-drew-mcintyre-are-out-of-action-with-the-same-injury

On 12/13/2022 at 10:01 PM, josh said:

Let me know when reigns is out long term. That seems to be the only time I can actually enjoy watching 

I've been watching for about a month and a half, maybe a little more.  I have seen him on tv 1 time.  You should be fine.  Sure isn't the days when the champ was on tv every damn night.  Shit is stupid.

Last night after work I caught up on Raw from Monday night.  I mentioned this earlier in the thread but never yielded a response, but, what is up with Owens using the Stunner so often?  And then Rollins using the Pedigree?  Which, in my opinion, was a terrible spot for that move.  Lashley running at him full steam for a spear and Rollins reverses the spear by jumping up into a Pedigree?  Come on maannnnnn lol.  Solo's finisher is pretty much a spinning Rockbottom.  So that's Owens using the Stunner, Rollins using the Pedigree, Solo Rockbottom, and eeeeeeeeeeeeeveryone using Sweet Chin Music on everyone else.  I mean I know eventually moves get recycled, you can only do so much body manipulation before moves have to start getting recycled.  I get the Sweet Chin Music/Superkick is just a kick to the face, but the Stunner and Pedigree are pretty obvious notable finishers.  Did I miss anything in the last decade of not watching wrestling where this became accepted?

Pretty bummed that I lost Riddle to rehab for the next few months.  I really loved his Jeff Spicoli-esque gimmick.  He was my undercard guy.  I still got Owens until Dwayne comes back...if that rumor comes to fruition.

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

I don't remember how or why Owen's started using the stunner. With Seth Rollins, Triple H took him under his wing several years ago and was his 'anointed one' for storyline purposes. So, Seth started using the pedigree as his finisher then, and he still uses it periodically to this day.

I see.  Thanks for catching me up with that Triple H/Rollins tidbit.  Clearly I have catching up to do.  Not going to lie, I am excited to be watching again.  I have missed it all these years.  I still find it hard to watch at times when compared to when I was a diehard during the Attitude and Ruthless Aggression Eras but I am keeping at it.  My wife on the other hand...let's just say in her eyes I no longer have a right to make fun of her for watching (insert whatever shitty reality love show she watches on Netflix) anymore lol.

4 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I see.  Thanks for catching me up with that Triple H/Rollins tidbit.  Clearly I have catching up to do.  Not going to lie, I am excited to be watching again.  I have missed it all these years.  I still find it hard to watch at times when compared to when I was a diehard during the Attitude and Ruthless Aggression Eras but I am keeping at it.  My wife on the other hand...let's just say in her eyes I no longer have a right to make fun of her for watching (insert whatever shitty reality love show she watches on Netflix) anymore lol.

I still would rather watch wrestling than any if that trash on Netflix. 

But yeah, it can still be hard to watch at times because it's still not that great most of the time and it's too long and too much programming in general.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I still would rather watch wrestling than any if that trash on Netflix. 

But yeah, it can still be hard to watch at times because it's still not that great most of the time and it's too long and too much programming in general.

You guys were speaking very highly of AEW a while back.  I watched it a few times but haven't had a chance to really get into it yet.  I might start watching that full time too.  It would be cool if they moved their Wednesday night show to Monday night and we get a little Monday Night War action going again haha.

5 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

You guys were speaking very highly of AEW a while back.  I watched it a few times but haven't had a chance to really get into it yet.  I might start watching that full time too.  It would be cool if they moved their Wednesday night show to Monday night and we get a little Monday Night War action going again haha.

They wouldn't do that because they'd get crushed. AEW is fine, but it's not that good. lol They barely beat NXT in the ratings going head to head.

58 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Won't happen. AEW owns Wednesday night and does very well for TNT. They ran NXT off, but like TNA learned, going head-to-head with a cultural staple like RAW is foolish.

I don't think they look bad for it. He wanted to go back and work with his kid. They did a half decent job of writing him out. I just think they dramatically over expanded their roster, so much to the point that it cost them future signings (like Josh Alexander), and continues to negatively affect their ability to keep top talents on TV. I mean, Miro has apparently been healthy and just waiting for creative. That's insane. It's WCW-level stupid. Just paying guys to sit home.

12 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

It was kind of a pattern. Sign an exciting new wrestler. Push them for a couple of weeks or a month quickly, and then purgatory.

Yup. Erratic. Shiny new toy syndrome on repeat. They've stabilized since, but it didn't come without cost.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WWE Board of Directors Unanimously Elects Vince McMahon Executive Chairman of the Board
https://corporate.wwe.com/investors/news/press-releases/2023/01-10-2023-235206986

STAMFORD, Conn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- WWE (NYSE: WWE) today announced that its Board of Directors unanimously elected Vince McMahon Executive Chairman of the Board.

Stephanie McMahon has resigned from her roles as Chairwoman and Co-CEO.

Nick Khan will serve as WWE CEO.

Vince McMahon:
“First, I’d like to express my full support for Stephanie’s personal decision. I’ll forever be grateful that she offered to step in during my absence and I’m truly proud of the job she did co-leading WWE. Stephanie has always been the ultimate ambassador for our company, and her decades of contributions have left an immeasurable impact on our brand.

“I’m proud to announce that Nick Khan will serve as WWE CEO. Nick’s business acumen and mastery of the media industry have helped catapult our business to record revenue and profitability. Together, we look forward to working with the Board at this critical moment in time to review our strategic alternatives and maximize value for all WWE shareholders.”

Stephanie McMahon:
“I cannot put into words how proud I am to have helped lead what I consider to be the greatest company in the world and I am confident WWE is in the perfect position to continue to provide unparalleled creative content and drive maximum value for shareholders.”

Nick Khan:
“Stephanie McMahon is a terrific executive and an even better person. It has been an honor to serve as Co-CEO with her. She will only continue to succeed.

“I’m grateful to Vince McMahon and our Board of Directors for their ongoing support. I look forward to continuing to work closely with them and my WWE colleagues to ensure our company may thrive as the premiere powerhouse in sports entertainment for years to come.”

Stephanie McMahon resigns from WWE; Nick Khan now sole CEO
https://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/35422004/stephanie-mcmahon-resigns-wwe-nick-khan-now-sole-ceo

Stephanie McMahon announced her resignation as co-CEO of WWE on Tuesday evening, less than one week after her father, Vince McMahon, came out of retirement and returned as chairman of the board.

Stephanie McMahon was also chairwoman of the publicly traded company before her father's return Friday. She shared co-CEO duties alongside Nick Khan, who is now the sole CEO of WWE. Her husband, WWE Hall of Famer Paul "Triple H" Levesque, remains firmly in place as the person driving WWE's weekly TV storylines, a position he rose to after Vince McMahon, who had been in charge of creative since 1982, initially stepped away from the company in July.

"With Nick's leadership and Paul 'Triple H' Levesque as chief content officer, I am confident WWE is in the perfect place to continue to provide unparalleled creative content and drive maximum value for shareholders," Stephanie McMahon wrote in a statement released on Twitter to her 3.2 million followers.