• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/gabriel-sees-his-nhl-dreams-come-true/

I just love these stories. Never made a AAA team, cut every year, then ends up at a Junior 'C' camp when he's 17. 5 years later he's in the Show.

Awesome story. He's one in a million for sure. Every kid in his spot goes through the same grind in youth, midgets, junior. They branch off in a 100 different directions, and rarely find the top.

• 3 weeks later...
It's stupid. We have 2 kids that should be playing up an age level. One of them is so far advanced it's pointless to even be out there' date=' he had 18 goals. The other had 7. They're 5 and 6 YO's so 90% of them have no idea whats going on.[/quote']

Full ice ?

Part of the reason for cross ice is so that this stuff doesn't happen

Yeah, full ice, offsides... It's nuts.

When I was 6, I actually made the Novice Rep. team (8-9 YO's) as a forward. I remember distinctly the horror I felt when I didn't understand how to change on the fly, off-sides, penalties etc etc. I played about a month and the embarrassment was so bad I became a goalie the next year, ruining my certain NHL HOF career.

Yeah' date=' full ice, offsides... It's nuts. When I was 6, I actually made the Novice Rep. team (8-9 YO's) as a forward. I remember distinctly the horror I felt when I didn't understand how to change on the fly, off-sides, penalties etc etc. I played about a month and the embarrassment was so bad I became a goalie the next year, ruining my certain NHL HOF career.[/quote']

I hated the idea of 1/2 ice or cross ice at that age (or any age)...but now understand the reasoning behind it. And screw offsides at that age, they shouldn't even be worried about it.

Sounds like you have a few cliches trying to jump from Mite hockey to the Jr ranks

I get the feeling I'm going to watch the future of women's hockey in about an hour. Daughter of former NHL'er, playing boys AAA Bantam in Saskatchewan, 5'1, 90 lbs, not only surviving but scoring against all the boys who will be WHL draft picks next year.

I get the feeling I'm going to watch the future of women's hockey in about an hour. Daughter of former NHL'er' date=' playing boys AAA Bantam in Saskatchewan, 5'1, 90 lbs, not only surviving but scoring against all the boys who will be WHL draft picks next year.[/quote']

We get a few of those girls in our system.

Playing AAA through bantams. That ending said, just like boys...it matters what they do for the NEXT 4 years (development, size, etc)