• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

I'm all for taking it out of House League as well. But what's B? "B" is different things to different organizations. I, myself, played what the OMHA classes as "B" my entire life and some of the guys I played with were fantastic players by any measure and many became either Junior A/B players or Junior C stalwarts. Ryan O'Reilly played down the road for a "CC" team. Nick Spahling played a few towns over for a "C" team. They're in the NHL.

My point being, you can't just throw a blanket over everything and say no hitting below "AA". Every governing umbrella seems to be different, which is pretty dumb if you ask me. Just look at baseball, Babe Ruth is Babe Ruth. Connie Mack is Connie Mack and so on. Much better.

AAA

AA

A

B

C

HOUSE

If you're House B, you can probably get walked by a goat on roller blades.

I'm all for taking checking out at the house/B level. Most of these kids are just playing for fun anyway.

On a side note, my kid is an 02 and moving up to Bantam in the fall. He was invited to play in a spring tourney with a Bantam team, 02's, 01's and 00's were eligible. Our team had around four 02's and they were dwarfed by some of these kids. We played a team from South Florida (supposedly a hand selected team from the area) that were HUGE. They had a kid that was easily 6'2" 200 pounds. My kid is around 5'1" and 90 pounds after Sunday pasta. Our team ended up with one concussion and lost one of the goalies to a slash to the back of the neck.

TBH, my kid did fine, but he was definitely playing with "heightened awareness"...translation...scared shit. Just thinking that when we played as kids, and checked from the mite level, kids didn't have to make the jump to checking at a time where a one year age difference is a big deal. I think having the kids check at PW would be beneficial in making the leap to Bantam.

Agree. My son is an 02 as well. He's a goalie, so checking isn't an issue. If it was, he'd be ok though. Little over 5'4 120.

AAA

AA

A

B

C

HOUSE

If you're House B, you can probably get walked by a goat on roller blades.

And here it goes

AAA (Grey/Bruce Highlanders)

CC (Hanover Minor Hockey)

You either fork out $10,000/year for the Highlanders or you play for the town you live in. Maybe you live in Hanover and it's a CC town, or maybe you live in Ayton and it's E. It's not an indictment on your skill level, it's an indictment on your town's population.

That's why I don't want the OMHA to even think of it.

And here it goes

AAA (Grey/Bruce Highlanders)

CC (Hanover Minor Hockey)

You either fork out $10,000/year for the Highlanders or you play for the town you live in. Maybe you live in Hanover and it's a CC town, or maybe you live in Ayton and it's E. It's not an indictment on your skill level, it's an indictment on your town's population.

That's why I don't want the OMHA to even think of it.

Yes, makes sense for it to work that way by you. We could never run our leagues geographically here. My son's school is K-8, 500+ kids, 1 travel hockey player.

Lost in the district finals this weekend. It was a great season by all of the kids, and coaches. I wish Michael could have played in more games, but when you're hurt it's tough to get back in when you're among the top teams battling for league playoffs, and districts every game. I'm very proud of how he handled it. Kept his mouth shut, went to every practice after he was a little better, and wanted to be at every game with his team knowing he wouldn't play much, if any at all. I know it was killing him to watch the league playoffs, district qualifier, then district finals week after week after week, but he earned the respect of his teammates by just being there and working hard in practice.

....... And now tryouts are in 15 days. Insane.

Mike, check this out. We make the semis as a second seed in LIAHL, so we're playing the Gulls who we beat couple of months before. They brought in two defensmen for the playoffs that were clearly not there when we played them and were definitely not A level. Other parents from the other semis that came to see us play also said they never saw those players before. Anyway, we lost to them 6-1 i think and they won the championship.

I know one parent on the gulls from last year, so I asked him if they fucked with the rosters and he obviously denied it. Im fucking pissed as hell for our kids who did so well during the season. I wish that someone could investigate.

Mike, check this out. We make the semis as a second seed in LIAHL, so we're playing the Gulls who we beat couple of months before. They brought in two defensmen for the playoffs that were clearly not there when we played them and were definitely not A level. Other parents from the other semis that came to see us play also said they never saw those players before. Anyway, we lost to them 6-1 i think and they won the championship.

I know one parent on the gulls from last year, so I asked him if they fucked with the rosters and he obviously denied it. Im fucking pissed as hell for our kids who did so well during the season. I wish that someone could investigate.

What were the kids names? If they were on the roster before January 1st, they can play. They might have been Tier 1 AYHL players that just never went to the LIAHL games until playoffs. What birth year is it?

Our setup is more like what Dunny is use to.

Mike,

Tryouts already....that's crazy.

Right. You and I have had this conversation 4 years in a row. Lol. No one likes it. It has to be that way to keep some of these organizations whole. $$$. Makes sense here, and I get it, but it sucks.

What were the kids names? If they were on the roster before January 1st, they can play. They might have been Tier 1 AYHL players that just never went to the LIAHL games until playoffs. What birth year is it?

'05. Not sure where they came from or if they were on the roster before Jan 1st. U can put anyone in anyone's jersey, so going by names could be fishy. These kids, defensemen scored 3 goals and totally shut down our team. I think we had 2 or 3 chances all game and scored on one of them. Its all very fishy

Right. You and I have had this conversation 4 years in a row. Lol. No one likes it. It has to be that way to keep some of these organizations whole. $$$. Makes sense here, and I get it, but it sucks.

Our tryouts start next week. Last year in was towards the middle of april

'05. Not sure where they came from or if they were on the roster before Jan 1st. U can put anyone in anyone's jersey, so going by names could be fishy. These kids, defensemen scored 3 goals and totally shut down our team. I think we had 2 or 3 chances all game and scored on one of them. Its all very fishy

Right, but the NJYHL has rules in place for kids that play in the AYHL. The other leagues like LIA, Hudson, GSYHL will let anyone play. Once you play 5 games in the AY, you lose all NJYHL eligibility. So what they did might be scummy, but within the rules. Unless the kids in those jerseys were wearing someone else's jersey, or not on the roster, they didn't do anything wrong "technically". If you can find that game roster, I'll let you know in 2 minutes if Tier 1 kids were on it.

Our tryouts start next week. Last year in was towards the middle of april

AY Tier 1 tryouts in NJ are 3/31 - 4/3. CT, and NY can do it earlier because they have T1 teams that aren't in the AY, or are "independent", or label themselves as something else.

Right, but the NJYHL has rules in place for kids that play in the AYHL. The other leagues like LIA, Hudson, GSYHL will let anyone play. Once you play 5 games in the AY, you lose all NJYHL eligibility. So what they did might be scummy, but within the rules. Unless the kids in those jerseys were wearing someone else's jersey, or not on the roster, they didn't do anything wrong "technically". If you can find that game roster, I'll let you know in 2 minutes if Tier 1 kids were on it.

I'll see if i can dig it up from my manager

Grapes is on between periods talking about the night Sitler had 11 points: "Goalie felt so bad he tried to commit suicide after the game. He jumped infront of a train but it went between his legs." His young partner clearly trying to avoid the whole spiel. Hahahaha I'm gonna miss Grapes more than any player.

• 2 weeks later...
How have tryouts gone for everyone so far? After consideration, and looking at the schedule, we decided against having our '05 try out for AAA this season. One more season and one more year under his belt and I think he'll be more ready for it next season. We are still gearing up for the Tier II tryouts which should be at the beginning of next week.

How have tryouts gone for everyone so far? After consideration, and looking at the schedule, we decided against having our '05 try out for AAA this season. One more season and one more year under his belt and I think he'll be more ready for it next season. We are still gearing up for the Tier II tryouts which should be at the beginning of next week.

05 puts him as a 2nd year Squirt?

I always recommend waiting as long as you can for the highest Tier, (only when great ice and coaching at the lower tiers though).

We don't have tryouts until September

It will actually be his 3rd year squirt since he played it as an 8 y.o. I'd like to wait until his bantam years, truthfully, but I fear that the ice time/coaching might give the current Tier 1 kids a real leg up going forward. We'll see. Hopefully it all works out but regardless, he'll still be having fun playing wherever he ends up. I'm actually kind of happy that our tryouts are close to the end of the regular season. Once they are done then he gets a complete break from hockey for a little bit while he plays baseball.

It will actually be his 3rd year squirt since he played it as an 8 y.o. I'd like to wait until his bantam years, truthfully, but I fear that the ice time/coaching might give the current Tier 1 kids a real leg up going forward. We'll see. Hopefully it all works out but regardless, he'll still be having fun playing wherever he ends up. I'm actually kind of happy that our tryouts are close to the end of the regular season. Once they are done then he gets a complete break from hockey for a little bit while he plays baseball.

You will find the kids that aren't getting burnt out at age 8,9,10 and 11 are the ones that have much better long term development.

Just make sure he's getting ice time. Believe me, it's all going to be about size, strength, and speed after Bantams. Obviously a foundation of fundamentals are key, but you don't need Tier 1 at squirt level for that.

Remind him a sheet of ice at Tier 4 is the same as Tier 1.

It's the effort he puts forth that matters.

And most importantly, just make sure he's having fun.

Best of luck next season.