• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

Everything in Sask. is AA until Midget. It's a population thing. There's only 1 million people in the province, and it's a huge area.

By keeping it AA (and no minor/major) they get 21 Bantam teams and don't have to travel so much in the 9 months of winter they have.

Everything in Sask. is AA until Midget. It's a population thing. There's only 1 million people in the province' date=' and it's a huge area. By keeping it AA (and no minor/major) they get 21 Bantam teams and don't have to travel so much in the 9 months of winter they have.[/quote']

We also do that now.

At bantam we go AAA but not before then. And our bantam team I think is ranked around 10th in nation. Could be higher but we just don't get the amount of games in like other teams.

• 1 month later...

Largely. But some kids can't afford AAA, or they can't afford 3 brothers in AAA. I know guys that played in the NHL and played their minor hockey for a "D" program, or even "E" program in Chris Neil's case.

What does it do for the lower junior leagues that aren't made up of all AAA grads? No hitting?

Isn't that how it is now' date=' pretty much?[/quote']

I've kind of found the opposite

Kids I had that played a higher level than Division 1 hockey (signed contracts after NCAA), tended to be average 8-15 year olds.

Last year at national selects it was told to me his way. (Top 100 14 year olds in country).

- only 1/2 these kids will be invited back next season (15 year olds)

- only 1/2 of those will be invited back the season after. (16 year olds)

- only have of those will be invited back the next national camp (17 year olds)

"So....when we truly care about a national team is age 18, and you coaches left 16 of those 20 players back home because they weren't good enough.....get back home and develop everyone"

Right, but the point is that they're all probably playing AAA-level programs. That's what Dunny was saying is going to be the future, but in my experience that's how it is now - anyone who got anywhere played AAA.

Not true. More so in the squirt, pw, and bantam. If you're that developed after bantam, you're pretty much forced to play tier 1 somewhere.

Right' date=' but the point is that they're all probably playing AAA-level programs. That's what Dunny was saying is going to be the future, but in my experience that's how it is now - anyone who got anywhere played AAA.[/quote']

It's a hard one to answer

A large chunk of hockey players still come out of Minnesota which really doesn't run AAA at all. They even our teams for the most part and create leagues.

I'd venture to say that a large portion of players that made it were average up till bantams or so.

That's truly only when it matters

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a kid I've been keeping my eye on: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=176256

His sister was my wife's MOH. He's been a slow developer, late round OHL pick, played NOHL (bad) for a year, family moved to Calgary and now he's caught on with Lethbridge after standing out in the AJ. Listed at 6'3 he's close to 6'5 now and his dad is 6'11.

Lethbridge loves him and he's playing big minutes for them. Read an article a few weeks ago where the reporter described him like (paraphrase) "Skeoch eats nails and shits lightning".

I'm interested because he just started fighting and he destroys everybody here's his fight from 2 nights ago against a guy 3 years older than him:

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/132329?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I don't think he's going to get drafted but it'll be interesting to see where he goes. Family is loaded so he's going to be able to take this as far as he can without worrying about real life.