• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

Did you guys win the tourney? That's a fantastic goalie stat line...4 goals in 3 games. We head up to Marlborough, MA this weekend.

It's the Tier 1 Elite League. Guaranteed 5 games, no playoffs, just a bracket winner. We tied for 1st, going 3-2. His stat line was over 2.5 games, not 3 full. There are some prep school scouts there, and all that shit.

Tier1eliteleague.com

Red shirt in High School? I didn't know that was such a thing. Or is that only because they can do that extra year of prep school?

I can send him away and have him repeat sophmore year. By his senior year he'll have to take a basket weaving class, and play hockey.

How does Prep School work? They offer athletic scholarships?

They offer financial aide for superior athletes.

Call it why you will.

As long as parents are middle class they will find a way to make it happen.

On top of that some schools are operating on massive endowments, so they can select certain athletes as long as they meet academic requirements for school.

Make no mistake, they get the athletes they want

They offer financial aide for superior athletes.

Call it why you will.

As long as parents are middle class they will find a way to make it happen.

On top of that some schools are operating on massive endowments, so they can select certain athletes as long as they meet academic requirements for school.

Make no mistake, they get the athletes they want

Nice position to be in.

Red shirt in High School? I didn't know that was such a thing. Or is that only because they can do that extra year of prep school?

I'm sure there are lots of kids who are "redshirted" by being held back a year.

It happens alllll the time in lacrosse. Pretty good breakdown here: http://deadspin.com/why-rich-lacrosse-parents-are-making-their-kids-repeat-1570381983

In hockey, and most kids' sports, teams and leagues are organized by year of birth; Gladwell's book purported to show that a disproportionate number of successful hockey players were born in the first few months of the year. But many top lacrosse camps, including Madlax, group so-called "select" teams by the players' projected high school graduation year. That scheme encourages redshirting. Held-back players are guaranteed to be older than their non-redshirted campmates, and thus, the thinking goes, they enjoy better odds of making the select squads, which means better coaching, which means better exposure to college recruiters, which means a better shot at winning an athletic scholarship. A redshirt also has a greater chance of gaining admission to, say, an Ivy League school because of the weight given sports extracurriculars.

• Like 1

I'm sure there are lots of kids who are "redshirted" by being held back a year.

It happens alllll the time in lacrosse. Pretty good breakdown here: http://deadspin.com/why-rich-lacrosse-parents-are-making-their-kids-repeat-1570381983

Wow...crazy. I never heard of this. I have seen some kids graduate high school and then do a 5th year at a prep school as a way to make themselves more appealing (didn't Boo Nieves do this?) but to basically hold out and not play one full year to make sure you're one of the older kids playing high school almost seems like cheating.

Wow...crazy. I never heard of this. I have seen some kids graduate high school and then do a 5th year at a prep school as a way to make themselves more appealing (didn't Boo Nieves do this?) but to basically hold out and not play one full year to make sure you're one of the older kids playing high school almost seems like cheating.

Idk how much it happens in hockey, but in lacrosse - as outlined in the article - they're talking about holding back kids in like 1st grade, then they could end up doing a year of prep school. We're talking about 21 year old freshmen in that case.

I'd argue that it is cheating. But, to be honest, I can't blame some parents for doing it. If it gets kids a scholarship to a private school and then, eventually, college, it's really hard to argue with.

Idk how much it happens in hockey, but in lacrosse - as outlined in the article - they're talking about holding back kids in like 1st grade, then they could end up doing a year of prep school. We're talking about 21 year old freshmen in that case.

I'd argue that it is cheating. But, to be honest, I can't blame some parents for doing it. If it gets kids a scholarship to a private school and then, eventually, college, it's really hard to argue with.

Repeating 1st grade is a little different then doing it in high school. In 1st grade you can make the argument that you're holding him back for other reasons other than possible future athletic success. At that age it's kind of tough to determine if you have a future star player anyway. Shoot, we held my oldest back after kindergarten (June b-day) but this was more for social reasons than any possible athletic benefit. But now that we're on it, I hope I reap the benefits of it athletically lol.

I repeated my sophomore year after leaving Smithtown HS to go to Trinity Pawling School for hockey. I ended up taking more AP classes than I normally would have, I think I took 5 my senior year.

Was this because of curriculum's not matching up or did your parents make you repeat that year?