• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

Repeating 1st grade is a little different then doing it in high school. In 1st grade you can make the argument that you're holding him back for other reasons other than possible future athletic success. At that age it's kind of tough to determine if you have a future star player anyway. Shoot, we held my oldest back after kindergarten (June b-day) but this was more for social reasons than any possible athletic benefit. But now that we're on it, I hope I reap the benefits of it athletically lol.

Right. I'm not saying that there aren't legitimate reasons for holding a kid back, or that holding a kid back means anything long-term. I think the issue is that parents are doing it for the athletic reasons, even, if they don't know if their kid is going to be a great athlete. The thought process is that, while they might only be an average athlete amongst kids their grade, given an extra year of growth, they could be.

Michael's birthday is mid December, so as far as hockey goes that would put him at a disadvantage. He's always the youngest on the team. 3 of his teammates turned 14 already, he was just 13 2 months ago. Being a goalie, his size and ability doesn't prevent him from competing at a high level with the best of them, but if he was born 2 weeks later he'd be a stud right now. By sophmore-senior years everything starts to even out. The advantage is a lot less.

Was this because of curriculum's not matching up or did your parents make you repeat that year?

I was still on the smaller side at the time and wanted to be able to play one year of JV before going for Varsity, also wanted to use my first year to get used to living away from the family it was a 2.5 hour drive or something like that

It's not cheating. It's done to put the student-athlete in the best position to succeed academically, and athletically. As far as making it to the draft, your draft year is your draft year. You can't change that.

Yea, but I don't really think that the move is made for being drafted into the pros, you do that for a better shot at an athletic scholarship to college.

Using lacrosse as an example, just because I'm more familiar with it...the greatest reward you can get from playing lacrosse is a college scholarship to a top school (Duke, Hopkins, UVA, etc.). Getting drafted into the pro leagues is nice, but that's really not going to give you any advantage in life, most of those guys hold full time jobs outside of the game. But when you get selected for travel teams that are organized by class (which I think is what needs to change), then you could be noticed by recruiters as a 16 year old playing against 14 year olds, potentially. That is a huge advantage when it comes to getting college scholarships, and the ramifications - really throughout the rest of your life - are tremendous. A 50k/year scholarship to Princeton is great...the job that Princeton will get you is even better. That's why kids are held back early, not to get drafted.

That's probably a lot different than hockey, at least in some respects, but I'd imagine that, primarily, that's the focus, rather than getting to the NHL.

Hockey players don't ever get held back in high school like other sports. Hockey isn't dependent on that magical senior make or break year.

Most hockey players are given scholarships do to performance on Jr teams or Midget AAA, both which are birth year dependent.

No football is a different story.

I think of my son as a example. He's the youngest freshman in his high school and i could have easily held him back a year. He's a 5'10" 220 freshman who received a few accolades on a roster of 120 players. If he was just now entering high school next year, he'd be getting a lot of attention.

Funny how that works

• 3 weeks later...
If I told you what was going on around us right now for next year, your fuckin head would spin.

This is our first year being in a place that has a tier 1 program and I can't believe the drama that is taking place now. Five kids just left the team. The coach isn't coming back as the head coach. Major problems with the new guy. The stuff that I heard that was happening the whole season was ridiculous with the in-fighting, the parents not getting along, kids cursing out the coach...and this is with 10 year olds!

This is our first year being in a place that has a tier 1 program and I can't believe the drama that is taking place now. Five kids just left the team. The coach isn't coming back as the head coach. Major problems with the new guy. The stuff that I heard that was happening the whole season was ridiculous with the in-fighting, the parents not getting along, kids cursing out the coach...and this is with 10 year olds!

You guys are leaving the AY, so that makes for a whole new animal.

You guys are leaving the AY, so that makes for a whole new animal.

Yeah, and that just compounds the other issues. I like the idea of the other league for the older kids but it doesn't make much sense for the younger guys. Unfortunately I don't think they had an option to stay in the AY with the younger guys once they committed to the other league with the older guys.