• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

Season done. 21-0-0. They crushed every town our size so they looked for better comp. They crushed Owen Sound a month ago so we invited Barrie and Waterloo, cities 15 times bigger than us, and we beat them both today and they were pissed. Pretty sweet.

It's generally true. I was the tournament director yesterday and I have so much respect for the volounteers that make this shit happen. I was at the rink at 530 AM and left at 7 PM. After the last game (round robin format) myself and the convenor got absolutely lambasted by parents, who I've known my entire life, because we couldn't fit the medal ceremony in on the actual ice and had to move it to the dressing room due to ice time. It wasn't my decision but it didn't matter. I don't even know why people volounteer.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there anything good about this time of the year with tryouts looming? It seems like every kid is going to different places and teams are jockeying for replacement parts. I'm kind of jealous of Victor Hedman's youth experience! http://www.theplayerstribune.com/victor-hedman-lightning-sweden-hockey/ One team, one place for the youth career! That'd be nice lol.

Is there anything good about this time of the year with tryouts looming? It seems like every kid is going to different places and teams are jockeying for replacement parts. I'm kind of jealous of Victor Hedman's youth experience! http://www.theplayerstribune.com/victor-hedman-lightning-sweden-hockey/ One team, one place for the youth career! That'd be nice lol.

That's the way it is in Alaska and Minnesota. Not so much by us. They'll never keep it within a district border. $$$

• 6 months later...
Nice saves! After the penalty shot one I thought he was going to fire the puck back at the shooter a la Roger Clemens with the broken bat at Piazza!

I was on the bench and was thinking the same thing. He definitely chirped him. You can see him turn his head at him for a few seconds. Hahaha. Definitely shouldn't have been a PS either. Ref was fuckin clueless.

There hasn't been much discussion here lately on everyone's season to date. My son is now playing pee-wee minor. It's been an interesting year to date but one thing I feel very comfortable with is the coaching that he has been receiving this year. Two outstanding coaches running the team. One guy is extremely sound at skill building and the other is excellent at game concepts. They complement each other very well and the kids are improving tremendously. The only problem I see right now is that the game concept coach just got hired by the new Las Vegas franchise to be a pro scout. It will impact the amount of time he will be able to practice with us.

Loooong story about the transition from last year to this year. My son had 3 options:

1. Stay on AAA Avs team and play for a coach that I particularly don't care for, along with bringing in some new families that are notorious troublemakers.

2. Go to Mid Fairfield Jr. Rangers, which was a very flattering offer as they're always a contending team and are favorites to make T1 Nationals out of their district. Logistically I couldn't do it. A bit too far and too much traffic 3 days a week. Our closest road game for me would have been over an hour away. Too much.

3. Stay with Avs, be an assistant, and build a strong AA team to try to go to Nationals with, while playing a competitive non league schedule and tournaments. We put A LOT of work into this, A LOT ! It's early, but we're currently 9-1-0 and ranked 5th in the country out of over 500 teams.

GF 54

GA 6

Loooong story about the transition from last year to this year. My son had 3 options:

1. Stay on AAA Avs team and play for a coach that I particularly don't care for, along with bringing in some new families that are notorious troublemakers.

2. Go to Mid Fairfield Jr. Rangers, which was a very flattering offer as they're always a contending team and are favorites to make T1 Nationals out of their district. Logistically I couldn't do it. A bit too far and too much traffic 3 days a week. Our closest road game for me would have been over an hour away. Too much.

3. Stay with Avs, be an assistant, and build a strong AA team to try to go to Nationals with, while playing a competitive non league schedule and tournaments. We put A LOT of work into this, A LOT ! It's early, but we're currently 9-1-0 and ranked 5th in the country out of over 500 teams.

GF 54

GA 6

I know that this doesn't happen often enough but they really need to start considering some of the parental makeup before forming teams. I hate the overly involved parent. "Joey is the star of the team and needs to be playing every other shift." "Jimmy sucks he shouldn't be out there." I fucking hate that team wrecking shit. We have one on our team that it doesn't matter what the coaching staff says, he continues to do his own thing on the ice because that's what daddy wants. This kid is pretty talented but he's going nowhere until his dad cuts the cord.

Sounds like you made the smart choice. I'm not a fan of travelling all over the place...and certainly not for practice. I feel that the kid will rebel in that situation and that's not what I'm looking for. We already had four of our kids from last year leave for the Mercer Chiefs team. They all are hating it now in part because of the long commute to practice.

Bottom line is hockey is still a game and supposed to be fun. Being on a team that's only let up 6 goals in 10 games sounds pretty fun to me!

I know that this doesn't happen often enough but they really need to start considering some of the parental makeup before forming teams. I hate the overly involved parent. "Joey is the star of the team and needs to be playing every other shift." "Jimmy sucks he shouldn't be out there." I fucking hate that team wrecking shit. We have one on our team that it doesn't matter what the coaching staff says, he continues to do his own thing on the ice because that's what daddy wants. This kid is pretty talented but he's going nowhere until his dad cuts the cord.

Sounds like you made the smart choice. I'm not a fan of travelling all over the place...and certainly not for practice. I feel that the kid will rebel in that situation and that's not what I'm looking for. We already had four of our kids from last year leave for the Mercer Chiefs team. They all are hating it now in part because of the long commute to practice.

Bottom line is hockey is still a game and supposed to be fun. Being on a team that's only let up 6 goals in 10 games sounds pretty fun to me!

Michael has stoooopid numbers right now. I mean, it has to change at some point, but he's currently

6-1-0

GA - .057

SV% - .967

SO - 5

• 1 month later...