• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

I'll ask around about that Vanderbeek deal. I wouldn't believe that just yet. Playing against older kids isn't the same as playing up in level. For example' date=' Michael's team would beat any B team that's a year older than they are. Some games probably by a touchdown.[/quote']

That's crazy.

If any of our comp Tier 1 kids, moved up and played the next age group but tier down...

They would get slaughtered ;)

It's all so confusing. Why not play for your home town that plays out of the rink in your hometown? Forget the level. It doesn't matter. Bobby Orr played for a 'C' center. Claude Giroux is from Hearst, Ontario. It was a 3 hour drive to the next human being.

The worst thing to happen to minor hockey imo is the jumping around from centre to centre. Just play, and if you're good enough, they'll find you.

It's all so confusing. Why not play for your home town that plays out of the rink in your hometown? Forget the level. It doesn't matter. Bobby Orr played for a 'C' center. Claude Giroux is from Hearst, Ontario. It was a 3 hour drive to the next human being.

The worst thing to happen to minor hockey imo is the jumping around from centre to centre. Just play, and if you're good enough, they'll find you.

Population in the area vs. amount of kids that play hockey. For example: The county I live in it has more people in than the entire state of Alaska. 1 in 300 play hockey, but 95 out of 100 play hockey in Alaska. (I'm exaggerating a bit to prove the point. Not sure of real numbers, but I think my estimation of my area is close) Hockey is not a sport you can play for your home town until HS, and sometimes that's not even possible. Club teams can block the addition of a new, or existing club team from getting a tier 1 charter within 30 miles of their rink. Numbers, and money first. Development second. If they don't get bodies in the door, there wouldn't be hockey to play. Wrong approach, but it has to be that way here. Don't get me wrong, there's a shit ton of great coaches, from former Major Junior, to D1, to AHLers, to NHLers, and there's plenty of right people to get great development from. It's just the way it is here.

Kev, I'm hearing it's true about BSA. They're waiting for official announcement, and coach list.

That's real good news. Hopefully that creates some stability there which would be good moving forward with my son. Let me know if you have any info on the coaches once the list is posted.

That's real good news. Hopefully that creates some stability there which would be good moving forward with my son. Let me know if you have any info on the coaches once the list is posted.

Kev, it's all very sketchy now. They can't come to an agreement. No announcements have been made about tryouts or coaches.

For Dunny :

http://http://m.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/gthl-bans-body-checking-at-a-level-starting-next-season/article23351154/?service=mobile

The Greater Toronto Hockey League will be eliminating body checking at the “A” level beginning next season.

The league announced Saturday the “progressive elimination” of body checking, starting with minor bantam for the 2015-16 season.

The GTHL board of directors proposed the rule change — which was approved by GTHL member clubs and associations with a majority vote of 326 to 195 — as a result of feedback received from a league-wide survey on the topic of body checking conducted during the 2013-14 season.

Even if it's just for the lower tiers? Maybe it's not a bad idea to have the less talented skaters not trying to kill each other. USA hockey took hitting out completely until bantam minor year, but they haven't put restrictions on any levels

Even if it's just for the lower tiers? Maybe it's not a bad idea to have the less talented skaters not trying to kill each other. USA hockey took hitting out completely until bantam minor year, but they haven't put restrictions on any levels

I'm all for taking checking out at the house/B level. Most of these kids are just playing for fun anyway.

On a side note, my kid is an 02 and moving up to Bantam in the fall. He was invited to play in a spring tourney with a Bantam team, 02's, 01's and 00's were eligible. Our team had around four 02's and they were dwarfed by some of these kids. We played a team from South Florida (supposedly a hand selected team from the area) that were HUGE. They had a kid that was easily 6'2" 200 pounds. My kid is around 5'1" and 90 pounds after Sunday pasta. Our team ended up with one concussion and lost one of the goalies to a slash to the back of the neck.

TBH, my kid did fine, but he was definitely playing with "heightened awareness"...translation...scared shit. Just thinking that when we played as kids, and checked from the mite level, kids didn't have to make the jump to checking at a time where a one year age difference is a big deal. I think having the kids check at PW would be beneficial in making the leap to Bantam.

I'm all for taking it out of House League as well. But what's B? "B" is different things to different organizations. I, myself, played what the OMHA classes as "B" my entire life and some of the guys I played with were fantastic players by any measure and many became either Junior A/B players or Junior C stalwarts. Ryan O'Reilly played down the road for a "CC" team. Nick Spahling played a few towns over for a "C" team. They're in the NHL.

My point being, you can't just throw a blanket over everything and say no hitting below "AA". Every governing umbrella seems to be different, which is pretty dumb if you ask me. Just look at baseball, Babe Ruth is Babe Ruth. Connie Mack is Connie Mack and so on. Much better.