• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck Around & Find Out!

Phil

Certainly in the corner of they should of brought in a vet on a cheaper deal, there were plenty out there who were serviceable and could of been more of a mentor (which Geo nor KK are) for Shesty. I don't think KK is the answer as the backup and Geo seems to now be on an island of one where both the org and Geo himself highly overvalued his worth. Both now looking rather foolish.

I actually think the FO/Drury has done a pretty good job this off season.

They've completely re shaped the bottom 6, which was needed. And they've done so without really over paying for anyone. You could argue Goodrow I suppose, but it's certainly not egregious. The Rangers are going to be A LOT harder to play against next season, for the first time in forever they have a couple of voices in the locker room who's been there, done that and they've accomplished it without sacrificing any skill. Of course, losing Buchnevich means Drury is banking on one of Kakko/Kraf/Laf to step into the top 6, cement their place there and pick up Buch's production. But you kind of have to do that at this point. If our 1st, 2nd or 9th overall pick can't do that we're absolutely fucked anyway.

Kreider/Chytil/Goodrow is a heavy 3rd line that can also play. A combination of Blais/Reaves/Hunt/Rooney will be able to mix it up with anyone.

I also like the fact they've completely stayed out of the race for the big FA's. Most people agreed that the Rangers had enough skill, and that looks like it's clearly the opinion of the FO as well. Scoring was not a problem last year and is unlikely to be one this season, so let's fill the holes and see what we have.

It seems they're playing the long game with any potential trade for Eichel too, which I think is the smart thing to do.

All in all, this has been a pretty good off season and I'm excited to see what this roster can do under Gallant.

• Like 1

The title of this thread is "New Year, Same Problems." lol.

Those problems have certainly been addressed and it speaks to the people claiming "tom wilson broke the rangers."

It's been a good offseason and the biggest acquisition has being Gallant. These new players and Gallants style are certainly going to make for some entertaining hockey.

This thread was titled months ago. LOL.

I'll fix it for you, hang on.

No! My point was, the Rangers have had the same issue for two years. Anyone complaining that Tom Wilson broke the Rangers hasn't been paying attention.

I do like the new name though.

The title of this thread is "New Year, Same Problems." lol.

Those problems have certainly been addressed and it speaks to the people claiming "tom wilson broke the rangers."

It's been a good offseason and the biggest acquisition has being Gallant. These new players and Gallants style are certainly going to make for some entertaining hockey.

I mean....we can like what we've done and also acknowledge that we are comically, hilariously overreacting to three games where we had our asses handed to us.

Tom Wilson did indeed break the Rangers. The question at play is whether the Rangers can break him now.

• Like 1

No! My point was, the Rangers have had the same issue for two years. Anyone complaining that Tom Wilson broke the Rangers hasn't been paying attention.

I do like the new name though.

It's such a tired narrative too. It was obvious last offseason after the Canes series the Rangers needed to get tougher and harder to play against. It just went unaddressed and everyone knew it.

• Like 1

3 games? Carolina imposed their will in the bubble. Last year was weird with the division games alone.. The Islanders did what they wanted, Wilson was the cherry on the shit sundae that was the rangers being a "tough" team for sure, but it was not just 3 games. They haven't been a tough team to play in years.

3 games? Carolina imposed their will in the bubble. Last year was weird with the division games alone.. The Islanders did what they wanted, Wilson was the cherry on the shit sundae that was the rangers being a "tough" team for sure, but it was not just 3 games. They haven't been a tough team to play since Torts

Fixed it. :)

Seriously though. Even AV's teams were getting bullied.

Love the title change. My hockey team the Long Island Warriors made tshirts with this saying on the back after a team full of wannabe tough kids in their early to mid 20s spent the majority of a game picking fights with a team full of mid to late 30s Veterans. It did not end well for them lol.

Remember, they had very little cap to spend last offseason. They certainly could have addressed the toughness / harder to play against issue, but realistically, how much could they have done?

More than likely, Gordon and JD were looking to this offseason to address it...then the Wilson / Islanders thing blew up in their face towards the end of the season.

Either way, I like the moves this offseason...New Coach, new bottom 6, new 3rd pair on D, new attitude... Let's F'n Go!

Remember, they had very little cap to spend last offseason. They certainly could have addressed the toughness / harder to play against issue, but realistically, how much could they have done?

More than likely, Gordon and JD were looking to this offseason to address it...then the Wilson / Islanders thing blew up in their face towards the end of the season.

Either way, I like the moves this offseason...New Coach, new bottom 6, new 3rd pair on D, new attitude... Let's F'n Go!

Exactly. It's done now. I can't wait to sit back and relax and see how this team looks this season.

The Wilson bogeyman is something of a red herring, playing for a team that is going to be going down. The Islander games are more relevant, and we didn't lose them because we didn't have a Tinordi or a Reeves. We lost them due the absence of Goodrow and Blais types. That has been remedied and might be further remedied with a Ritchie. Reeves and Tinordi are remedies for a different era and represent an overreaction, which is something that has been going on with the Rangers in these situations for decades.

The situation was not lost on Gorton, and he would have brought in the likes of Goodrow and Blais without the overreaction.

The Wilson bogeyman is something of a red herring, playing for a team that is going to be going down. The Islander games are more relevant, and we didn't lose them because we didn't have a Tinordi or a Reeves. We lost them due the absence of Goodrow and Blais types. That has been remedied and might be further remedied with a Ritchie. Reeves and Tinordi are remedies for a different era and represent an overreaction, which is something that has been going on with the Rangers in these situations for decades.

The situation was not lost on Gorton, and he would have brought in the likes of Goodrow and Blais without the overreaction.

I think Gorton was more fixated on bringing in players that were hard to play against.... that could play. I think that was a better way to go, but he just couldn't find that player, or he couldn't part with the asking price. If he weren't fired, I'd think he would have went hard after Hyman as a guy to stick with Panarin.

Drury has taken over and just did what he felt he had to do. Completely rebuilt the 3rd and 4th lines and dealt with cap issues by doing what many (myself included) thought had to happen eventually. Which was put the kids in a position to prove themselves in the correct roles, with the correct types of players.

I'll bitch all year about what I think was a poor return on Buchnevich, but without that move, I don't get what I've been bitching about for a year and a half. Kakko is now afforded the chance to show why he was so highly touted. Kravstov is looking a gift horse in the mouth. It's looking more and more like Lafreniere is also being put into a role that can let him shine.

This doesn't mean I like a majority of what Drury has done, but he's in an incredibly hard spot to be in.

Guess it's going to be a wait and see type of situation to see if the revamped bottom 6 impacts the attitude and confidence of the top 6.

As with Jack Johnson being in last season's opening lineup, Tinordi getting a jersey often this coming season, it will mean some things with the D did not go as planned. Though who knows; had Gorton gone out and gotten Tinordi or someone like him rather than broke down valise Jack Johnson, might have been a very different season. Really might have been lost on Gorton and JD. The way the Canes pushed them around in the bubble and shut down the skill guys should have been a wakeup call.

This season is now entirely about three things:

1 - The top 10 picks starting to play and getting opportunity as if they were in fact top 10 picks. As frustrated as we've been watching Kakko and Laf and Kravtsov tread water, they've also literally been used as if they were 21 year olds who ground it out in the CHL/AHL to make it up, and not as you leverage top picks. That's instilled good defensive responsibility, especially in Kakko, but you need these guys to be gamebreakers, not game wardens. They've got to take steps to at the bare minimum cover Buchnevich's production.

2 - The variance in identity between our top 6 and bottom 6 and whether or not it functions as intended. If it works, we're tough to play against and still dangerous. If it doesn't, we're slow and kinda dead in the water. The good news is that we've got outs on nearly all of the gambles aside from Goodrow pretty fast if it doesn't.

3 - Gallant's system instilling discipline and structure without losing the dynamism of the top 6/PP.

Honestly - big scope? Drury did a lot of good here. Unpopular good, but good. Let's see it on the ice and see what happens.

• Like 1