• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Interested in Eichel?

Pete

“Okay instead of trading for Jack Eichel, maybe we look towards free agency instead.

There is tremendous talent on the market, some not being discussed...

Vladimir Putin is a free agent right now.

In his last 5 games he's scored 38 goals and he averages more than 5 a game.”

LMAO - attributed to @OhRyanMead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buffalo is well behind the 8 ball here. There is no reason for the Rangers to be upping their offer unless they purposely left a lot of space to do so. Buy time, be patient, "up" your initially low offer in the 11th hour...then let Buffalo decide. Nothing good comes for Buffalo to keep Eichel. The only way they can move forward is to rip the bandaid off. Nobody should crucify them for dealing Eichel, but they will get crucified if they drag it out past this summer and leave a black cloud over their organization with a clearly fractured relationship between them and Eichel.

I fully expect this to be resolved soon. E5.

from the Dreger interview with WGR Buffalo in regards to the Rangers:

“This is a tough market to nail down. A good New York Rangers source, yesterday, thought that there is a slim chance that it was going to work with the Rangers. That is not to say it’s not going to be the New York Rangers, but again, that is where the process was yesterday and all that can change pretty swiftly with a phone call.”

Dreger continued, “but if you are looking at a four piece package from the Rangers, I had a package thrown at me that included Lundkvist or Schneider, Kravtsov, Chytil and a first round pick. I mean there is four elements and I threw that by the Rangers and they basically laughed, as if that is too much. Is it? It might be, from New York’s standpoint, but is it too much from Buffalo’s standpoint to ask for that.”

Marty Biron said that he thought that that package would be a “bad return” for Eichel, from a Sabres point of view.

Dreger added, “you don’t think that Rangers package is even close to what Buffalo would need, well the Rangers are likely looking at is too much and ‘we’re not paying that.”

Whats so whack about this is if any of this is true , they are acting like Eichel is 100% healthy and not an injury risk moving forward . If thats the case, why in the world won't you share his medicals? Really, really strange stuff here.

That'd be near the maximum package I'd offer them for Eichel. If that's a laugh-off-the-table from the Rangers and from the Sabres, we're probably done here and with good reason.

I hope you’re right. A completely healthy Eichel I’d consider that but it certainly doesn’t seem to be the case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flat cap and injury - I dont do that. I dont want to give up any of Lundkvist, Schneider or Kravtsov, certainly not 2.

And you are also losing Strome and Buchnevich, if not more, due to the contract.

This is why I keep saying a deal is there to be made. To me, that is tantalizingly close to being right there for both teams. We walk away with Eichel, they walk away with 2 NHL ready forwards both under the age of 21, a near-ready defensive prospect and a 1st Round pick.

I like Eichel just like most of us do. But Buffalo and Kevyn Adams are aware he’s not Wayne Gretzky, right?

That offer, to me, is a very, very solid offer. I know it may be more than what Drury would maybe pay, but it’s almost right there.

Buffalo will continue to bottom dwell. They need to get rid of the spotlight and build from the ground up. Get some good culture guys and build around the othet pieces that aren't Eichel. Drop your kings ransom for this dude and move on. I dont want it to be the Rangers but hell, this poor guy is being put on display in a really demoralizing way for this team and for Eichel himself.

Buffalo might just end up dragging this out to the point where they diminish whatever return they get for Eichel. This feels a lot like Howson and his ask for Rick Nash and that went on for a month after the NHL draft. I could see that happening here.

I'm just convinced they aren't going to move him at this rate. They seem to want the moon, the stars, the purest unicorn cum, and a live minotaur.

Yeah, I really don’t see this getting settled by tonight. And honestly, if not tonight, then when? The draft has always seemed like zero hour with these negotiations. And if this drags by tonight, then really when do they move him? And again, this isn’t like Buffalo is looking to trade him; their hands are being forced here by an unhappy superstar who happens to have a medical issue. Like, I’m sorry. With all those questions and that big of a cap hit in a flat cap world, no. No you won’t get the sun and the moon.

Buffalo is trying to dupe a team into giving into their demands. The fact is not letting anyone check his medical records pretty much confirms that it’s not good. Obviously it will dramatically lower the price. Hopefully we move on to something else or just keep the pick and draft a Center

Yeah, I really don’t see this getting settled by tonight. And honestly, if not tonight, then when? The draft has always seemed like zero hour with these negotiations. And if this drags by tonight, then really when do they move him? And again, this isn’t like Buffalo is looking to trade him; their hands are being forced here by an unhappy superstar who happens to have a medical issue. Like, I’m sorry. With all those questions and that big of a cap hit in a flat cap world, no. No you won’t get the sun and the moon.

The hand is going to be forced when they realize that no matter what they get for Eichel or whether they trade him, they lose.

The return will be underwhelming initially and will likely get worse over time. History fools nobody on these things.

The demands will never be met by any reasonable bidder. The teams that might meet the demands are cap strapped.

Keeping an obviously disgruntled star player for five more years when you're trying to turn over the entire organization including the culture is a poison pill.

Buffalo doesn't win here. There are 14 million scenarios and even Dr Strange can't find a winner for the Sabres.

Exactly. And I feel for Adams to a degree. No matter what he does here, he’s fucked. This is going to be the first major trade under his watch. I’m not gonna include the Hall trade since that was a 1 year commitment. We’re talking about the face of the franchise, their Captain and one of the best centers in the league who isn’t even in the prime of his career yet. He can’t “lose” this trade. But what he needs to realize is the second Eichel wanted out, he already lost. Now it’s just about making sense of the aftermath of the post-Eichel era up there. And listen, I get it. We are a hated team by many fanbases, and believe it or not, Buffalo is one of them too. That fanbase would be sick to their stomach to see Eichel pot 50 goals for the Rangers. So of course, we’ll be paying a premium to get someone like this. But at this point, his eyes should be on making a good trade for futures instead of at grasping at straws with these outlandish requests.

This reminds me of the Rick Nash situation. The Blue Jackets demanded an astronomical return. They had little leverage because of his NMC and finally had to settle for what they got. Buffalo is probably in a worse situation bevstse if the neck issue which is obviously a huge red flag as well as their refusal to let anybody check the Medicals. It seems like they are demanding Kakko be apart if a deal which is hilarious. Plus they also want Nils and/or Schneider which is also hilarious

from the Dreger interview with WGR Buffalo in regards to the Rangers:

“This is a tough market to nail down. A good New York Rangers source, yesterday, thought that there is a slim chance that it was going to work with the Rangers. That is not to say it’s not going to be the New York Rangers, but again, that is where the process was yesterday and all that can change pretty swiftly with a phone call.”

Dreger continued, “but if you are looking at a four piece package from the Rangers, I had a package thrown at me that included Lundkvist or Schneider, Kravtsov, Chytil and a first round pick. I mean there is four elements and I threw that by the Rangers and they basically laughed, as if that is too much. Is it? It might be, from New York’s standpoint, but is it too much from Buffalo’s standpoint to ask for that.”

Marty Biron said that he thought that that package would be a “bad return” for Eichel, from a Sabres point of view.

Dreger added, “you don’t think that Rangers package is even close to what Buffalo would need, well the Rangers are likely looking at is too much and ‘we’re not paying that.”

Whats so whack about this is if any of this is true , they are acting like Eichel is 100% healthy and not an injury risk moving forward . If thats the case, why in the world won't you share his medicals? Really, really strange stuff here.

Injury issues aside, that trade simply wouldn't work from a salary cap perspective so I doubt even it's credibility. You can't send ~3.5 million one way and 10 million the other in a flat cap world. That would essentially mean that you have to pass on signing one of Zibanejad, Fox, or Shesterkin long term. So ergo you are trading Zibanejad, Lundkvist or Schneider, Kravtsov, Chytil and a first round pick for Eichel.

Injury issues aside, that trade simply wouldn't work from a salary cap perspective so I doubt even it's credibility. You can't send ~3.5 million one way and 10 million the other in a flat cap world. That would essentially mean that you have to pass on signing one of Zibanejad, Fox, or Shesterkin long term. So ergo you are trading Zibanejad, Lundkvist or Schneider, Kravtsov, Chytil and a first round pick for Eichel.

They can if they trade Strome separately, but yeah, some cap has to move out in that world.

Vince Z. Mercogliano

@vzmercogliano

Belief is Drury won't budge on adding certain players to Eichel deal, so it appears #Sabres working to squeeze other teams (presumably MIN/ANA/LA) for players they prefer over #NYR package.

Very fluid situation, but sounds like a game of chicken. I don't sense Drury will blink.

3:24 PM · Jul 23, 2021