• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Panthers — Eastern Conference Final General Series Thread

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

I think given how effective Rempe was last night I strongly consider bringing wheeler in next game. The thing that’s different about Florida than Carolina is that having size really nullifies what they’re trying to do, which is hurt you and pin you in your zone. If you are durable enough to take some contact and make a play, exactly like trouba did in overtime, and you can break out of your zone that way, then they really don’t have much to do except hope to grind you down. Against Carolina being big didn’t matter since they don’t hit you, they beat you to pucks, but Florida is different.

I would consider this lineup tomorrow:

Kreider-Mika-Kakko

Breads

Cuylle-Chytil-Wheeler

Goodrow-Wennberg- Rempe

Roslovic to me this is not the right series for him, it actually is ok for Kakko who fits the big with hands bill, and Wheeler is the same way. I would give this a look

15 minutes ago, Valriera said:

I think given how effective Rempe was last night I strongly consider bringing wheeler in next game. The thing that’s different about Florida than Carolina is that having size really nullifies what they’re trying to do, which is hurt you and pin you in your zone. If you are durable enough to take some contact and make a play, exactly like trouba did in overtime, and you can break out of your zone that way, then they really don’t have much to do except hope to grind you down. Against Carolina being big didn’t matter since they don’t hit you, they beat you to pucks, but Florida is different.

Kreider-Mika-Kakko

Breads

Cuylle-Chytil-Wheeler

Goodrow-Wennberg- Rempe

Roslovic to me this is not the right series for him, it actually is ok for Kakko who fits the big with hands bill, and Wheeler is the same way. I would give this a look

I agree 100% on Wheeler. They could use the size and strength, and not necessarily speed. Plus he has more offensive prowess in his pinky toe than a Vesey or a Kakko.

The key to the rest of this series is the Rangers counter to Florida’s forecheck.  The Rangers are going to have a problem all series defending against Florida’s cycle. They are simply not big or strong enough to defend it when Florida gets OZ possession, and they get bullied and look helpless. The counter is to deny OZ possession from happening in the first place. Happened for the majority of the game in G1, but last night the pendulum swung back and forth in terms of success accomplishing that.

When they deny Florida OZ possession, the game opens up a bit. The Rangers dug down deeper when they needed it the most in OT and did not let Florida establish anything. They low key dominated transition and established their own OZ possession time. I think we saw the desperation on ice for that OT period. Hopefully they can find that intensity more frequently when their back is not against the wall too.

Still not feeling great about this series.  Florida has looked like the better team.  Their physicality and size are a problem and will continue to wear on us as the series continues.  We need to take care of business down there.  We have the momentum now so keeping it and winning game 3 is a must.  Put some pressure on the cats going into game 4.

• Bullseye 1

51 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Kreider-Mika-Kakko

Breads

Cuylle-Chytil-Wheeler

Goodrow-Wennberg- Rempe

I understand the mindset, but I'm not completely remaking the lineup after the game they just played. 

I thought the first line was just average with Chytil, But I understand they have a tough matchup. 

I don't see them playing Chytil at center. Especially when two of our centers got their heads taken off last night on exits/entries. I think you have to keep the puck off of his stick in the neutral zone, let him focus on finishing in the offensive zone. 

I've held out as long as I possibly can on Kakko. I just can't justify dressing him, let alone putting him on the first line. But if Vesey can't go, he is a far superior fourth line option than Wheeler. Wheeler in this particular bottom six is useless. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, PucksOnNet said:

Still not feeling great about this series.  Florida has looked like the better team.  Their physicality and size are a problem and will continue to wear on us as the series continues.  We need to take care of business down there.  We have the momentum now so keeping it and winning game 3 is a must.  Put some pressure on the cats going into game 4.

Benedict Cumberbatch Drinking GIF

I don't know what you've been watching, but the Rangers played well enough to win game 1, they lost because of bad goaltending. And they were absolutely as good or better than Florida in game 2.

I'm waiting for real data from CSA but NST had NYR as the better team in game 2. So does MP.

https://moneypuck.com/g.htm?id=2023030312

Have a little faith. I don't understand how anybody can come out of this set of games thinking that Florida isn't completely beatable.

Edited by Pete

8 minutes ago, PucksOnNet said:

This is my feeling as well. Florida was a bit sluggish in OT though. I wonder if their physicality isn’t wearing themselves down more than it will the Rangers. The Rangers had two fairly unphysical series before this. They shouldn’t be tired.

One more lineup factor, the game is tomorrow at 3pm. Very tight turnaround. If you’re going to swap some depth guys out for fresh legs, this is the game to do it. It mattered last night, we were the better team as the game went on. It might matter again tomorrow.

• Keeps it 100 1

17 minutes ago, PucksOnNet said:

Disagree completely. Florida looked better game 1.

except for a short stretch in the 2nd period the rangers were top dogs that whole 2nd game and especially OT. 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, siddious said:

Disagree completely. Florida looked better game 1.

except for a short stretch in the 2nd period the rangers were top dogs that whole 2nd game and especially OT. 

Definitely agree. Rangers looked way better and more desperate than Fla last night. 

1 minute ago, Albatrosss said:

Definitely agree. Rangers looked way better and more desperate than Fla last night. 

With that said it was one of the best hockey games from a hockey fan perspective so far of the playoffs. Was on the edge of my seat all game even with a low score.

sometimes the team you play is just good too. You won’t utterly dominate at all times. 

• Bullseye 3
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, siddious said:

With that said it was one of the best hockey games from a hockey fan perspective so far of the playoffs. Was on the edge of my seat all game even with a low score.

sometimes the team you play is just good too. You won’t utterly dominate at all times. 

I’ve been on the edge of my seat and about to have another heart attack since game 1 vs wash

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, siddious said:

And That's really the perspective everybody needs to have. Coming out of last night's game, there should be zero complaints, IMO. Too many people in the "Yea they won, but..." Crowd.

Very rarely will you see a team dominate another for 60 straight minutes, and even less so in the playoffs. Every team you play is going to have their chances, it's about how you manage those chances, because you aren't always going to be able to limit chances.

I don't like the term desperate, there's a negative connotation there that's unnecessary, but the Rangers were much hungrier than the Panthers and much sharper than game 1, where the effort was there but the execution wasn't. 

I'm not 💯 guaranteeing that they'll win this series, but I'm 💯 of the belief that this is a winnable series. 

Edited by Pete
  • Bullseye 2

I thought the played very well against a damn good team.. my only gripe is the power play looked like absolute shit. Stop being so cute and for fucks sake stop all the cross ice passes. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

4 minutes ago, Flynn said:

I thought the played very well against a damn good team.. my only gripe is the power play looked like absolute shit. Stop being so cute and for fucks sake stop all the cross ice passes. 

They're playing against the great penalty kill that got going last series against Boston.

They just need more movement. They don't need to stop doing what they're doing, what they stopped doing was moving and that was the difference. 

I understand the idea of wanting to change something that isn't working, But they also need to stay true to their identity. The reason they've been so good this season is by sticking with it, no matter what "it" is. If you want them to start dumping and chasing on the power play, that's just not who they are and that's not who they need to be to be successful. 

Everybody is stationary on the blue line, They need everybody moving their feet and attacking the blue line with the puck carrier, not just waiting for him there. They need to add movement back in and they'll be fine.

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

And That's really the perspective everybody needs to have. Coming out of last night's game, there should be zero complaints, IMO. Too many people in the "Yea they won, but..." Crowd.

Very rarely will you see a team dominate another for 60 straight minutes, and even less so in the playoffs. Every team you play is going to have their chances, it's about how you manage those chances, because you aren't always going to be able to limit chances.

I don't like the term desperate, there's a negative connotation there that's unnecessary, but the Rangers were much hungrier than the Panthers and much sharper than game 1, where the effort was there but the execution wasn't. 

I'm not 💯 guaranteeing that they'll win this series, but I'm 💯 of the belief that this is a winnable series. 

Celebrate Creighton Bluejays GIF by Creighton University Athletics

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

There’s 4 teams left.

3 of the 4 are probably the 3 best teams in hockey.

You have 3 fantastic goalies playing.

And the 4th team alive has the best player in the league, arguably the 3rd or 4th best player in the league, and a supporting cast that’s gotten better.

There are zero easy matchups and games this time of year. Zero.

Just about every game and series played this time of year could go either way. 

Florida was the better team in Game 1. Yet they scored a soft goal, a goal on a very fortuitous bounce, and an empty netter.

The game was 1-0 in the 3rd. Rangers had 4-5 opportunities to tie it. But they weren’t sharp after the layoff and didn’t pot those chances as they have normally done. 

It’s a winnable series. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, siddious said:

We have to understand the deeper you go, the tougher it gets. Game 1 looked terrible at times, but if Wennberg hits an open net, who knows? 

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

The key to the rest of this series is the Rangers counter to Florida’s forecheck.  The Rangers are going to have a problem all series defending against Florida’s cycle. They are simply not big or strong enough to defend it when Florida gets OZ possession, and they get bullied and look helpless. The counter is to deny OZ possession from happening in the first place. Happened for the majority of the game in G1, but last night the pendulum swung back and forth in terms of success accomplishing that.

When they deny Florida OZ possession, the game opens up a bit. The Rangers dug down deeper when they needed it the most in OT and did not let Florida establish anything. They low key dominated transition and established their own OZ possession time. I think we saw the desperation on ice for that OT period. Hopefully they can find that intensity more frequently when their back is not against the wall too.

I thought the Rangers looked really comfortable in transition from mid-2nd period on.  It was like the Panther's oppressive forecheck just went away for some reason.

If the teams look like they did last night for the rest of the series I think it is the Ranger's to win.

1 hour ago, Flynn said:

I’m confident the PP will work itself out as the series continues. 

It would be nice if we can get a game (preferably the next one) where the Rangers win like 5-1 so we can have a nice, easy, relaxed afternoon.  

Also, Canes made adjustments when they were ice cold on the PP, it's time for the Rangers to figure that out and get the PP going.  

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Benedict Cumberbatch Drinking GIF

I don't know what you've been watching, but the Rangers played well enough to win game 1, they lost because of bad goaltending. And they were absolutely as good or better than Florida in game 2.

I'm waiting for real data from CSA but NST had NYR as the better team in game 2. So does MP.

https://moneypuck.com/g.htm?id=2023030312

Have a little faith. I don't understand how anybody can come out of this set of games thinking that Florida isn't completely beatable.

Not saying they’re not beatable.  Just saying after two games, Florida is clearly more physical and will be difficult to overcome as the series progresses.  We can certainly win this series,  but we’ll need to play our best which involves dominate the PP, beat their physicality with speed, no more bad games from Igor.

2 hours ago, Flynn said:

Agree w this Flynn. They started slipping into the east west cutsie shit. That is a BIG mistake against this very disciplined PK. get guys in front of the net n shoot high from the point for deflections or pure screen. Keep it simple!!

• Bullseye 1