• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

So do You Play Rempe Game 2?

Posted (edited)

At this point you have to stick with it until something changes. Eventually the Rangers will lose a game. At that point you can justify a lineup change.

You can't change a lineup that's won five in a row in the playoffs because Carolina may score on a power play that Rempe might get just based on his reputation. 

You can't change a lineup that's won five in a row because eventually playing one guy 6-7 minutes a night might catch up them in terms of who's taking on more minutes because of that. 

When it happens you make the change. You certainly don't make it for a home game. And you certainly you don't make it because you're worried something that hasn't happened, might eventually happen. 

Edited by Pete
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 5

There’s a valid case for making a lineup change given all the reasons- limited minutes, needing to be sheltered, no utility, and the fact that he’s being targeted by the officials.

But bottom line is that they’re winning and playing good hockey when he’s in the lineup so you probably just have to keep rolling with him. 

It's the new game plan.  Rempe gets 2 minutes for being too tall.  We kill the penalty.  They retaliate or the refs give us the make up call.  We go up 1 - 0

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Pete said:

At this point you have to stick with it until something changes. Eventually the Rangers will lose a game. At that point you can justify a lineup change.

You can't change a lineup that's won five in a row in the playoffs because Carolina may score on a power play that Rempe might get just based on his reputation. 

You can't change a lineup that's won five in a row because eventually playing one guy 6-7 minutes a night might catch up them in terms of who's taking on more minutes because of that. 

When it happens you make the change. You certainly don't make it for a home game. And you certainly you don't make it because you're worried something that hasn't happened, might eventually happen. 

For a brief moment, let's consider the possibility that it doesn't and that extra time is actually quite important.

In most cases, Trocheck or Zibanejad receives those extra minutes, and Goodrow plays the wing for a few shifts. Why is it that giving one of our top two centers—both phenomenal two-way players—a few extra shifts a game should be considered a net negative? Isn't it good to have your best players on the ice more often? 

Where this bites us in the ass is when we finally get a marathon OT game, and we're playing 11.5/6 instead of 12/6. I get that. But you can't plan for what if, and as things stand, I like Rempe setting a tone and flipping the personnel when the lead needs defending. I'll double down on that if we can get Carolina to keep taking penalties like they did in the first.

10 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

For a brief moment, let's consider the possibility that it doesn't and that extra time is actually quite important.

In most cases, Trocheck or Zibanejad receives those extra minutes, and Goodrow plays the wing for a few shifts. Why is it that giving one of our top two centers—both phenomenal two-way players—a few extra shifts a game should be considered a net negative? Isn't it good to have your best players on the ice more often? 

Where this bites us in the ass is when we finally get a marathon OT game, and we're playing 11.5/6 instead of 12/6. I get that. But you can't plan for what if, and as things stand, I like Rempe setting a tone and flipping the personnel when the lead needs defending. I'll double down on that if we can get Carolina to keep taking penalties like they did in the first.

Oh well. Cross that bridge if and when you get to it.

He plays. They're 5-0. He's a factor in every game, some negative, most positive. Ask anyone he hit yesterday afternoon how they're feeling today for more on that.

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Oh well. Cross that bridge if and when you get to it.

He plays. They're 5-0. He's a factor in every game, some negative, most positive. Ask anyone he hit yesterday afternoon how they're feeling today for more on that.

Yeah, I mean, you can't plan for the marathon OT game. So...play your guys, let Rempe show the Hurricanes what causing chaos really means, and keep riding the wave here.

And if we end up in a spot where Rempe's just getting the Stu Bickel treatment, so be it. Though, I don't think he would be too much of a liability taking a shift or two in an OT.

Doubly so when you have a guy like Rempe out there to goad the Canes into taking penalties, and we've put the fear of Mika into them. 

Yes, we've won with him, but I don't see a reason to wait for the inevitability of a goal against on one of these power plays.  He is basically not permitted to check.  It's the most outrageous officiating I've seen, because it's calculated as opposed to honest bad calls.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Yes, we've won with him, but I don't see a reason to wait for the inevitability of a goal against on one of these power plays.  He is basically not permitted to check.  It's the most outrageous officiating I've seen, because it's calculated as opposed to honest bad calls.

While the likelihood of him taking a penalty- whether it’s real or not- and it resulting in a PPG against is there, there is also no guarantee that it happens, and there’s also no guarantee that that goal is a meaningful one.

It may not matter.

And in reality, it doesn’t matter till it matters. 

11 hours ago, JJ in VA said:

BB, why can't NYR special teams dominate ?  I know Canes were tops in ST, but for this game they looked outmatched.

I'd play Matty for sure.  He is the tone setter, the enforcer and embodiment of this team.

I'd rather have my fourth liner be the punisher (4 hits) and if he draws penalties, so be it.  Afterall, he only plays 7 mins.

Yeah, I mean sure, anything can happen over a 7 game series. However, I recall the Rangers’ PP being dominant and scoring 4x in the first 2 games against NJ last year, and proceeding to get 1 in the next 5. NJ was a top 5 PK unit. The point being here is things can change quick in a series, especially if the other team is well rated.

If the tables were flipped yesterday and the Canes were 2/2 on the PP and the Rangers were 0/5 on the PK, I think we’d all be writing it off as an anomaly because of how good the Rangers’ special teams performance was all year, and I think we’d be right to do that.

Let’s also keep in mind when Rempe is in the lineup the Rangers record is either 19-2 or 20-2? I saw something a week or 2 ago showing the Rangers were 17-2 with Rempe in the lineup…. He’s actually playing better… and yeah someone in this thread said the Rangers definitely play with more confidence knowing this enforcer has their back. He makes a difference. I’ve seen it every game he’s played. The other teams have to adjust. I’m only thinking what happens when this kid gets a little bit better. Not huge amount of improvement but some.. the ramifications for the Rangers will be HUGE!! 

LGR!!! 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

This. I'm not changing shit when the team is winning, let alone undefeated in spite of the reputation calls. Plus, his physical play alone is likely worth keeping him in the lineup. He hits to hurt. You can't pay most guys to do that.

• Bullseye 1

24 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

While the likelihood of him taking a penalty- whether it’s real or not- and it resulting in a PPG against is there, there is also no guarantee that it happens, and there’s also no guarantee that that goal is a meaningful one.

It may not matter.

And in reality, it doesn’t matter till it matters. 

Right. If he gets a penalty, there's a 1/4 chance the Hurricanes score. And who knows at what point in the game that will be. At this point, we know Laviolette has been smart with Rempe's deployment.

Again, not fuckign with a winning lineup because of something that may happen, but hasn't.

The NHL will have to deal with the Rempe/bad calls issue sooner rather than later.

It's going to become obvious to the media at some point and become a talking point and that's the kind of publicity that will lead to somewhat different results.

Rempe is not just a huge thug.  He's damn near impossible to clear out from the net front and that's the kind of action that contributes in the playoffs.  It was funny last night watching the 'Canes defense take turns trying to move him out from in front of the net.   We got the bad call against when he got pushed into Andersen but there was also at least one non-call on a crosscheck on him.

The tape is going to become an issue for the league the longer the imbalance in calls continues.

• Bullseye 3
  • CK20! 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Thats It Martin Short GIF by PBS SoCal

And I'm not taking Rempe out for Brodzinski anyway. It's only a question to take out Rempe if Chytil is 100% fit and good to go.

• LINDY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 3

Just now, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Thats It Martin Short GIF by PBS SoCal

And I'm not taking Rempe out for Brodzinski anyway. It's only a question to take out Rempe if Chytil is 100% fit and good to go.

Yea, I don't see how swapping in a different 4th line element, especially one like Brodz who's just filler, makes the team better. 

• Bullseye 1

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Brodzinski gives you better xG numbers, but nothing else, and you can't discount the loss of physicality.

Which we're starting to see have as much value as IOUs handed out by Harry Dunn and Lloyd Christmas. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

3 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Definitely not Brodzinski.  I think if it's Chytil there's a real question to ask around who sits. 

It's always going to be Rempe.

• Keeps it 100 1

The Rangers front office needs to be doing double overtime lobbying the league to look more closely at these calls on Rempe.  We can not count on the PK being perfect in five attempts every night and frankly they missed at least a couple going the other way.  Maybe they felt that 2 PP goals was enough for us. With that said there is no reason for the Rangers to just quietly accept this Rempe tax.

The problem is that they probably wants "legal hitting to hurt"  to be either reduced or removed altogether and if they have to essentially ban six foot seven players in order to do that then so be it. 

13 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I love that he was laughing hysterically in the penalty box when there was a skirmish going on in front of it. 🤣

Personally my favorite moment in the game! Love that kid!

5 minutes ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

The Rangers front office needs to be doing double overtime lobbying the league to look more closely at these calls on Rempe.  We can not count on the PK being perfect in five attempts every night and frankly they missed at least a couple going the other way.  Maybe they felt that 2 PP goals was enough for us. With that said there is no reason for the Rangers to just quietly accept this Rempe tax.

The problem is that they probably wants "legal hitting to hurt"  to be either reduced or removed altogether and if they have to essentially ban six foot seven players in order to do that then so be it. 

The only way to get rid of legal hitting to hurt is to ban hitting altogether.  Not going to happen.

It's a strange situation because I'm starting to doubt that the NHL will want to sit down with Rempe for another suspension hearing at any point.  He and his reps are most likely to raise the double standard he is facing when that happens and then shit goes totally sideways for the NHL in the media.

35 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The only way to get rid of legal hitting to hurt is to ban hitting altogether.  Not going to happen.

It's a strange situation because I'm starting to doubt that the NHL will want to sit down with Rempe for another suspension hearing at any point.  He and his reps are most likely to raise the double standard he is facing when that happens and then shit goes totally sideways for the NHL in the media.

Working the Refs and working the league offices are skills that we are paying our GM and HC to  possess.  I hope they are employing those talents right now because the status quo is gifting our opponents an unfair advantage.

• Keeps it 100 1