• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

So do You Play Rempe Game 2?

This is a tough call. All in all, he has brought little to the table lately. I'd scratch him for Brodz who is a forechecking animal with speed. Changes the dynamic of the fourth line a bit and I think it could be useful in a game away from home. I like the "if it ain't broke" idea but at the same time, things will get stale and the playoffs are a tactical game as well. I'd be proactive and get that fourth line ready to forecheck HEAVY in Carolina.

15 minutes ago, siddious said:

I dunno. Maybe wait for a loss or something.

Regardless of who won last night, which was a coin flip, they basically played a game and a half where he played 4 minutes... And was wildly ineffective.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Regardless of who won last night, which was a coin flip, they basically played a game and a half where he played 4 minutes... And was wildly ineffective.

At least there weren't any phantom calls made on him. 

• Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 1

37 minutes ago, phillyb said:

Tough call for me. Kid literally played 4:03 last night in double OT, but here's the flip side of that - who's taking his minutes? Trocheck played 35 minutes last night. 

I think we need to ask if the extra time that the other players are getting is too much...are they showing weakness through fatigue? 

And if not (and I don't think they are), I don't see the case for sitting Rempe. If you sit Rempe in game 3 and lose game 3, then what? Back into the lineup for game 4?

Idk, team has 6 playoff appearances and 6 wins. ROLL!

I'm leaning towards this as well. Trocheck doesn't look bothered at all and with the first round sweep we shouldn't have any problems with fatigue, at least not yet.

And it's not like shortening the bench in 3rd periods/OT's is something only done with Rempe. Carolina literally just rolled 3 lines the entire OT. Noesen played 06:48, Comtois 06:19 and Kotkaniemi 09:15. We had Rempe playing 4 minutes and no one else under 11:25 (Kakko).

Rotating Kreider/Zib/Trocheck/Wennberg/Cuylle on the 4th line with Goodrow and Vesey instead of Rempe late in 3rd periods and OT is no problem at all.

I don't even think Brodz would've seen the ice in the OT last night, so I don't see the point in adding him. Chytil or maybe even Wheeler I can understand, but we don't no Brodz here.

• Keeps it 100 1

4 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I'm leaning towards this as well. Trocheck doesn't look bothered at all and with the first round sweep we shouldn't have any problems with fatigue, at least not yet.

And it's not like shortening the bench in 3rd periods/OT's is something only done with Rempe. Carolina literally just rolled 3 lines the entire OT. Noesen played 06:48, Comtois 06:19 and Kotkaniemi 09:15. We had Rempe playing 4 minutes and no one else under 11:25 (Kakko).

Rotating Kreider/Zib/Trocheck/Wennberg/Cuylle on the 4th line with Goodrow and Vesey instead of Rempe late in 3rd periods and OT is no problem at all.

I don't even think Brodz would've seen the ice in the OT last night, so I don't see the point in adding him. Chytil or maybe even Wheeler I can understand, but we don't no Brodz here.

I Don't totally disagree with everything here, but Rempe didn't get a shift in the 3rd either... So practically an entire 2nd game played with 11 forwards. That may eventually take its toll. 

Fatigue might not show up in game 6, but it could show up in game 16. Players make mistakes when they're tired. 

I'm not 💯 sold on taking Rempe out, but there's definitely enough of an argument to make a case. 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I Don't totally disagree with everything here, but Rempe didn't get a shift in the 3rd either... So practically an entire 2nd game played with 11 forwards. That may eventually take its toll. 

Fatigue might not show up in game 6, but it could show up in game 16. Players make mistakes when they're tired. 

I'm not 💯 sold on taking Rempe out, but there's definitely enough of an argument to make a case. 

I get the point, but I think as long as it's just one player it's no problem. It could be a big problem if we were to get an in-game injury or misconduct and suddenly play two players short.

Just to do some simple math on this. Let's say Brodz played last night and got some shifts in the 3rd and OT. I don't think he would play more than Kakko, so let's say Brodz got 10 minutes (more than the entire Canes 4th line). That's 6 minutes more than Rempe played. I've seen Kreids, Mika, Trocheck, Wennberg, Cuylle and Roslovic taking shifts on the 4th line - so it's like what.. 1 minute less per player? I can't see that making any difference, even in the long run.

I'm not opposed to the idea and I don't really care either way, but I just don't want to fuck with the mojo you know. We're 6-0 and we basically never lose with Rempe in the lineup. I'm not fucking with that for 8-10 minutes of Brodzinski.

• Keeps it 100 2

2 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I'm not fucking with that for 8-10 minutes of Brodzinski.

You've made two well-thought posts and I agree. And what it boils down to at the end of the day for me is, "what is Brodzinski giving you that Rempe doesn't?" 

I’m more 50/50 on this after seeing OT deployment last night. The Rangers were rotating 11 forwards, so Rempe was benched yeah, but the Canes were rotating 9. The Rangers are not likely going to suffer from one guy benched in OT if the Canes are benching 3.

Bullshit penalties called against him at any time during the normal course of the game when he’s out there is still a potential problem though.

Tough call, but I’m less concerned about losing depth from his benchings late in a close game than I was. At least against the Canes here.

13 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I get the point, but I think as long as it's just one player it's no problem. It could be a big problem if we were to get an in-game injury or misconduct and suddenly play two players short.

Just to do some simple math on this. Let's say Brodz played last night and got some shifts in the 3rd and OT. I don't think he would play more than Kakko, so let's say Brodz got 10 minutes (more than the entire Canes 4th line). That's 6 minutes more than Rempe played. I've seen Kreids, Mika, Trocheck, Wennberg, Cuylle and Roslovic taking shifts on the 4th line - so it's like what.. 1 minute less per player? I can't see that making any difference, even in the long run.

I'm not opposed to the idea and I don't really care either way, but I just don't want to fuck with the mojo you know. We're 6-0 and we basically never lose with Rempe in the lineup. I'm not fucking with that for 8-10 minutes of Brodzinski.

I hear you, but it's not just about what they're doing versus Carolina this series. 

Next series they're going to play either Florida or Boston whose fourth line plays around 9:00 or 10 minutes, and after that the team's out west are rolling 4 lines.

That's when you need to worry about fatigue because your top players are playing more than their top players. 

12 minutes ago, phillyb said:

You've made two well-thought posts and I agree. And what it boils down to at the end of the day for me is, "what is Brodzinski giving you that Rempe doesn't?" 

Skating ability? Not chasing hits? No phantom calls? 

I'm sorry but I do take 10 mins of JB over 4 of Rempe. 

• Thanks 1

If Chytil’s head and mentality is right, the impact he could have is getting significantly underrated here.

This series isn’t over and the Rangers have gotten little offense from their bottom 6.

• Applause 1

1 minute ago, Long live the King said:

Put Chytil between Cuylle and Kakkp and move Wennberg to the 4th line.  Don't need Rempe trying to make an impact and getting some stupid suspension in this series.  He's a non-factor against the Canes.  Save him for the ECF.

I think this is still the right move. If something isn’t right with Chytil in-game, you move Wennberg back up and Chytil gets nailed to the bench like Rempe does anyway for the rest of the game. Then you go back to Rempe the next game.

8 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I’m more 50/50 on this after seeing OT deployment last night. The Rangers were rotating 11 forwards, so Rempe was benched yeah, but the Canes were rotating 9. The Rangers are not likely going to suffer from one guy benched in OT if the Canes are benching 3.

Bullshit penalties called against him at any time during the normal course of the game when he’s out there is still a potential problem though.

Tough call, but I’m less concerned about losing depth from his benchings late in a close game than I was. At least against the Canes here.

News flash: all teams shorten their bench in OT. Almost no one uses fourth liners, including good teams, like the Canes.

Rempe keeps playing until they lose.

• Keeps it 100 2

4 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

If Chytil’s head and mentality is right, the impact he could have is getting significantly underrated here.

This series isn’t over and the Rangers have gotten little offense from their bottom 6.

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I think this is still the right move. If something isn’t right with Chytil in-game, you move Wennberg back up and Chytil gets nailed to the bench like Rempe does anyway for the rest of the game. Then you go back to Rempe the next game.

Even if he is right, him playing 10 min as 3C is fine.  He's by far the most talented option.

You could see the ref get right in Rempe's face in that net front skirmish when he got knocked down.  There's no one on the Canes for him to engage with.  We'll need him more for FLA/BOS.  Let the refs stop worrying about policing him, and have him ready to go in the Garden for the ECF.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Phil said:

News flash: all teams shorten their bench in OT. Almost no one uses fourth liners, including good teams, like the Canes.

It's not just the OT, and it's not just about this series. 

Rempe had 4 shifts all game. I'm sorry, but that's just not sustainable because the players who are eating those minutes are the top players (Panarin, Tro, Zib) and if you have an opportunity to keep them fresh early, you should take it because we'll need them later. 

If you're going to dress him, play him, otherwise what's the point of dressing him? If you don't think you can play him and trust the outcome, then you shouldn't be dressing him. 

Edited by Pete

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

This is superstitious nonsense.  He has nothing to do with either win in this series.

1 minute ago, Long live the King said:

This is superstitious nonsense.  He has nothing to do with either win in this series.

I was on board with not changing the lineup until this game, if you're not going to play him there's no point in dressing him.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I was on board with not changing the lineup until this game, if you're not going to play him there's no point in dressing him.

Plus no one on the Canes will fight him.  There's no point.  They have plenty of "presence" without him to handle the Canes.  I hope ADA tries to fight Miller, I love watching him get rag dolled.  

1 minute ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

This is true, but the record with and without him is starting to feel like more than just a coincidence at this point.

They won the President's Trophy.  People are acting like they sucked outside of the 17 games that Rempe played.  Plus he played less than 6 min in 11 of those 17 games, two of which he got ejected on his first shift.  There's a time and a place for what Rempe brings.  Against the Canes ain't it.

I love Rempe, but I'm also a little exhausted of the sideshow. He gets almost as much press as anyone else on the team, meanwhile there are 3 Conn Smythe candidates playing on a team that just went 6-0 in the playoffs, and we're sitting here talking about a fourth liner who plays 5 minutes a game and has a 50/50 shot of getting kicked out. 

I think everyone needs to move on. Whether or not he plays is completely inconsequential, and the less he plays the less anyone should care. 

• Applause 1