• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 ECQF: Hurricanes vs. Islanders

Who wins  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Hurricanes in 4
    • Hurricanes in 5
    • Hurricanes in 6
    • Hurricanes in 7
    • Islanders in 4
    • Islanders in 5
    • Islanders in 6
    • Islanders in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/21/2024 at 12:18 AM

10 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I don’t understand the Islanders. My theory on being too attached to a roster is that the Rangers handled things right with their elite teams in the mid-2010s. You had teams that won divisions, a Presidents Trophy, an Eastern Conference Title. And when things began to tail off, management understood this notion: if we couldn’t win with this little engine that could when they were all at their best (Henrik included), are we going to win with them getting older? The answer was a resounding no.

They dealt Brassard, a staple, at the right time. Stepan. They cut ties with people like Girardi. This was all before the Letter. They knew it was time for new blood.

Lou, for whatever reason, is living off of 2020 and 2021. They got close. They were good. They were tough to play against. It was never a team built on talent, but instead it was the depth and the grit. But it’s a hard brand to sustain across many seasons and these guys are mostly older and still there. And in that time, aside for grabbing Horvat, no major moves have been made to compete with the big boys in today’s NHL. They just don’t have enough talent. Barzal is good, but is he the play driver on a Cup Winner? I see him more as a secondary guy. Same for Horvat. 

If this ends the way I think we can all agree it likely is going to end, it’s time to nuke that core and just start over. They had their chance. They, like the mid-2010s Rangers, had a few good kicks at the can. But it’s time for new blood in there.

If Panarin wanted to sign in Detroit and not the rangers, we’d be in exactly same place, if not worse. Lets not forget who carried this team this year to where it is. 

4 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, Lou really has not a very good job the last couple of years or so, and it's rearing its ugly head. Face it, this Islanders team really isn't a playoff team. Their place in the standings is because they lost a ton of overtime games. Now they're even older and a below average team, with not a ton of hope in sight. Sure, credit them for getting to that point a lot, but still, technically they lost well over 40 games and you should not be a playoff team in that case. The Islanders window was rather smaller, compared to the Rangers. Unfortunately they ran into Tampa Bay during their run. Those things happen. Winning can be about timing as well.

Lou has stood pat more than he should have.  More recently, I think he's made a couple of good moves in the Horvat and Romanov trades.  Looking at their roster, the problem is that moving on from the older players doesn't do much good if you don't have good younger ones in the pipeline, and Brock Nelson is probably the only one of their older players who would bring a good young player in a trade.

1 minute ago, Sod16 said:

Lou has stood pat more than he should have.  More recently, I think he's made a couple of good moves in the Horvat and Romanov trades.  Looking at their roster, the problem is that moving on from the older players doesn't do much good if you don't have good younger ones in the pipeline, and Brock Nelson is probably the only one of their older players who would bring a good young player in a trade.

Not too many good moves lately for Lou, though, has really hamstrung the Islanders for the foreseeable future, I think. Those trades you mentioned were the only real good ones. I know a lot of Islanders fans haven't been happy with the job he's been doing overall the last three years or so.  Getting Horvat was good, but he was traded from the Canucks just before they started becoming really good, and traded to the Islanders just when they were starting to slide down. lol

2 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

If Panarin wanted to sign in Detroit and not the rangers, we’d be in exactly same place, if not worse. Lets not forget who carried this team this year to where it is. 

And if my aunt had balls, she’d be my uncle. Lol.

Bottom line is we have that game breaking talent. And it’s not only him.

3 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

If Panarin wanted to sign in Detroit and not the rangers, we’d be in exactly same place, if not worse. Let’s not forget who carried this team this year to where it is. 

While I understand what you’re saying, there’s no way to know how this team is structured if they don’t sign Panarin.

5 hours ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

While I understand what you’re saying, there’s no way to know how this team is structured if they don’t sign Panarin.

That’s true but there’s no other Panarin out there who might’ve been available 

5 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

And if my aunt had balls, she’d be my uncle. Lol.

Bottom line is we have that game breaking talent. And it’s not only him.

I’m just saying, you are ragging on the piles and Lou but we had Panarin and Fox basically fall into our lap. Doesn’t take a genius to sign those too. Try building a team when no one wants to play for you

1 minute ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

Go ahead and puke.  Small price to pay for wearing down our next opponent.

Nope. This team can win on their own, they don't need to count on some other team being worn down.