• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS #60] Rangers vs. Columbus Blue Jackets — the Remp Is Too Damn High

7 minutes ago, siddious said:

Presumptuous of you to think Mika had balls. Or that they’re not in kreiders purse. 

Good point!

Hey Pete, the seats are right where they come on and off the ice.  If you hear someone yelling "MIKA ...SHOOT IT!!!"...it's me!

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I'm worried about Rempe. Just as quickly as the good vibes around him went around the league, the book is now out that this guy just can't fight. He's just a chucker who can't defend himself.

He's going to need a lot of seasoning, or he's going to wind up with more than a black eye. 

• Applause 1

1 hour ago, delneggs said:

Cant fight?  Because he lost a fight to a good fighter?  Matt Martin is a good hockey fighter and Nic Deslauriers is a very good hockey fighter and he did really well against both of them beating them both, so I think he is more than a "chucker". And Olivias face was bleeding after that fight as well, so not like he didn't take some punches himself.  Rempe's face is so beat up because he has taken punches from 3 very tough customers in a short period of time. But, I agree he needs to protect himself better if he is going to fight NHL enforcers for a living. Hopefully he comes to play hockey first and only drop the gloves when its needed, to protect himself or a teammate.

I think you need to go to YouTube and search for "Matt Rempe". There are folks who are way more knowledgable than you or I regarding fighting on ice, there are tons of videos breaking down his inability to defend himself. He wins on reach.

He wasn't even a great fighter in the AHL. He would frequently lose to smaller opponents who knew what they were doing.

3 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

I'm honestly just more worried about him as a human. This is a whirlwind for anyone, let alone a farm boy with the fists of a pro boxer and the off-ice personality of a golden retriever.

Getting punched in the face every night by large humans  is not a good plan, short or long term. 

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think you need to go to YouTube and search for "Matt Rempe". There are folks who are way more knowledgable than you or I regarding fighting on ice, there are tons of videos breaking down his inability to defend himself. He wins on reach.

He wasn't even a great fighter in the AHL. He would frequently lose to smaller opponents who knew what they were doing.

he's too much of a baby face to be a mean fighting SOB.

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

I love this movie. Been looking for a place to DL/stream it.

Love that he's supposed to be 17 here, and all this training basically happens over 3 days 🤣

Looks like all the streaming sites do not have it available.

You can probably find the full movie on youtube.

2 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

Looks like all the streaming sites do not have it available.

You can probably find the full movie on youtube.

I wish. That was the first place I looked lol. 

7 hours ago, Phil said:

Rempe apparently didn't fight a lot when he was younger. He's going to have to take real lessons if he continues to at the NHL level because he 100% can't defend himself and it's going to get him seriously hurt.

Colton Orr was apart of the alumni trip this year.  He obviously still has connections to the Rangers.  He's also the coach of the NY PWHL. Get him on the horn and teach this kid how to do it right.

Heck Tanner Glass is still with the team as a director of player development.  Development this kids fighting skills. 

Other names in the organization that should be talking regularly with Rempe about fighting are

Tanner Glass

Paul Mara

Ryan Clowe

Adam Graves

Jeff Beukeboom

And maybe Steve Eminger& Jed Ortmeyer

This team has a wealth of knowledge for this kind of player at their fingertips. I'd assume we'll see clips of someone dancing with him during practice to teach him. 

Edited by The Dude
  • Applause 1

27 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Colton Orr was apart of the alumni trip this year.  He obviously still has connections to the Rangers.  He's also the coach of the NY PWHL. Get him on the horn and teach this kid how to do it right.

Heck Tanner Glass is still with the team as a director of player development.  Development this kids fighting skills. 

Other names in the organization that should be talking regularly with Rempe about fighting are

Tanner Glass

Paul Mara

Ryan Clowe

Adam Graves

Jeff Beukeboom

And maybe Steve Eminger& Jed Ortmeyer

This team has a wealth of knowledge for this kind of player at their fingertips. I'd assume we'll see clips of someone dancing with him during practice to teach him.

I dunno about half these names, but yes, I think the org should ask one of these guys — Glass or Orr, most likely — to give him some defensvie pointers.

6 hours ago, Phil said:

I don't want to speak for @Pete, but fighting is both offense and defense. If you can't defend yourself, "can't fight," is most definitely an accurate description of your abilities.

I think there's a difference between "can't defend himself " and "isn't defending himself " 

I mean he obviously CAN fight. He's 2 and 1 in the NHL. He'd lose every time if he couldn't fight. 

This kid is raw. This is his first pro season. He's fresh out of Jrs.  He needs improvement on his skill.

I think saying he can't fight is a bit if a reach. He's 21. He needs work on something that can be fixed if it's deemed that he truly needs much if any fixing.

Tony Twist, Tie Domi and Joey Kocur fought with the same reckless abandon. I don't recall much defensive prowess in their skill. Some guys have their own style. I agree he needs some pointers, but it's not like he's terrible at fighting. The ability to stand in there and eat some punches is something that can't be taught. He's got that. 

With that said. Run with it. He's lightning in a bottle.  He may only be a flash in the pan. Ride it out and run it into the ground. Whatever he is. It's helping at the moment.