• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS #60] Rangers vs. Columbus Blue Jackets — the Remp Is Too Damn High

3 hours ago, Phil said:

I mean, I have no doubt the moment Trouba is gone, they're gonna miss him and be looking for/wishing they had someone capable of doing what he does regarding physicality/fighting/spark. Same with Goodrow. But there's a financial limit to their effectiveness that they both exceed by orders of magnitude.

If and when Trouba goes, I'm calling Anaheim about Gudas pretty much right away.

Gudas is already 34.

They can re-sign Trouba, but if he had any kind of conscience he'd take about 3 million a year because he's been robbing the organization for the length of this contract. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Gudas is already 34.

They can re-sign Trouba, but if he had any kind of conscience he'd take about 3 million a year because he's been robbing the organization for the length of this contract. 

I'm talking about a buyout or trade scenario. If they buy him out they can't re-sign him for a calendar year.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'm talking about a buyout or trade scenario. If they buy him out they can't re-sign him for a calendar year.

Ohhh. Yeah I doubt they buy him out or trade him. But the rule your referencing only covers compliance buyouts.

The CBA only forbids the signing of players bought out using compliance buyouts for one year. There is no restriction on re-signing players on ordinary course buyouts.

Unless that rule changed since 2019. 

What rule? I'm saying both Trouba and Goodrow are top of the list of guys week make WAY too much money for what they bring. If the team needs cash, they're the ones getting liquidated in whatever fashion. I'm also saying that the day they do that, they're also going to immediately be in the market looking to make up for that loss on the ice.

18 hours ago, Pete said:

Except Goody making 2x what he should is a 1.5 million problem rather than Trouba making 2x what he should... That's a 4 million dollar problem. That's a right wing. 

See I get what you’re saying about Trouba.

But no universe exists where he’s a $4 million dollar player.

He was making $5 million his last season in WPG, had a career year, and was arb eligible before they traded him.

He easily gets north of $6 million in a 1-year arb award had he stayed there.

I completely agree he’s overpaid.

Just not by that much.

2 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

See I get what you’re saying about Trouba.

But no universe exists where he’s a $4 million dollar player.

He was making $5 million his last season in WPG, had a career year, and was arb eligible before they traded him.

He easily gets north of $6 million in a 1-year arb award had he stayed there.

I completely agree he’s overpaid.

Just not by that much.

I'm not interested in his contract history, I know how he got to the number he got to, and I also know he was overpaid by it about 2 million as soon as he got here.

The point is that if you looked at him in a vacuum, he's not somebody anybody should be paying more than 4 maybe 5 million a year. 

Edited by Pete

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm not interested in his contract history, I know how he got to the number he got to, and I also know he was overpaid by it about 2 million as soon as he got here.

The point is that if you looked at him in a vacuum, he's not somebody anybody should be paying more than 4 maybe 5 million a year. 

Ideally on that deal he signed, they shouldn’t have gone over 6.5.

• Keeps it 100 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

OK. With this said.

Trouba was a 40-50 point D man at age. Was deemed a physical force and a strong defender. So, again. With that said. You say he shouldn't make more than 4- 5 mill.

What's Miller worth on his next deal? 3-4? He's not as good/well rounded as Trouba was at the age you're talking about (24-when the Rangers got him). Let's add for inflation. 4-5 mill?  

46 minutes ago, The Dude said:

OK. With this said.

Trouba was a 40-50 point D man at age. Was deemed a physical force and a strong defender. So, again. With that said. You say he shouldn't make more than 4- 5 mill.

What's Miller worth on his next deal? 3-4? He's not as good/well rounded as Trouba was at the age you're talking about (24-when the Rangers got him). Let's add for inflation. 4-5 mill?  

Probably close to 6.

Trouba was 25 and turned 26 in February of his first season with Rangers. He was coming off a 50 point season where he had 20 power play points.

Miller was coming off of 40 point season where he got no power play time. His offensive upside is much greater than Trouba. All Trouba had was a shot and he quickly played his way off the power play here. 

28 minutes ago, Pete said:

Probably close to 6.

Trouba was 25 and turned 26 in February of his first season with Rangers. He was coming off a 50 point season where he had 20 power play points.

Miller was coming off of 40 point season where he got no power play time. His offensive upside is much greater than Trouba. All Trouba had was a shot and he quickly played his way off the power play here. 

Los Angeles Drama GIF by ABC Network

One got bumped off the PP by Fox. The other, never got there and hasn't scored a goal in his last 27.  

Not sure how a more well rounded (at the time) player like Trouba should have only got 5 mill (in your opinion) in a time when the cap was supposed to be escalating more and more. But Miller being a one dimensional player who might sniff 30 points this year,  in a time where it's a flat cap, going back into an escalating cap is worth 6 million.

Can you be a little objective instead of continuing to hate on Trouba,  while for some reason glowing for Miller? 

Trouba was better at age 24 than Miller is at 24. I won't debate it. Anyone anywhere takes Trouba at age 24 over Miller at 24. What Trouba is doing now isn't the same as what he was doing prior to NY. 

The discussion I'm trying to have is why you think Trouba was only worth 5 mill back THEN. Doesn't seem like you're using hindsight. If you are. I apologize.

You've hated on Trouba for most of his time here. So, I'm taking your 5 million comment as that's what he was worth then, as opposed to now. 

And I don't get how you can say Miller is worth more in a flat cap. 

You don't really have to reply. I'm kinda just making a statement. You favor Miller entirely too much,  while continually hating on Trouba. 

And that's fine. We all have our favorites. And we all have the players we never were on board for (Goodrow for me).

12 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Los Angeles Drama GIF by ABC Network

One got bumped off the PP by Fox. The other, never got there and hasn't scored a goal in his last 27.  

Not sure how a more well rounded (at the time) player like Trouba should have only got 5 mill (in your opinion) in a time when the cap was supposed to be escalating more and more. But Miller being a one dimensional player who might sniff 30 points this year,  in a time where it's a flat cap, going back into an escalating cap is worth 6 million.

Can you be a little objective instead of continuing to hate on Trouba,  while for some reason glowing for Miller? 

Trouba was better at age 24 than Miller is at 24. I won't debate it. Anyone anywhere takes Trouba at age 24 over Miller at 24. What Trouba is doing now isn't the same as what he was doing prior to NY. 

The discussion I'm trying to have is why you think Trouba was only worth 5 mill back THEN. Doesn't seem like you're using hindsight. If you are. I apologize.

You've hated on Trouba for most of his time here. So, I'm taking your 5 million comment as that's what he was worth then, as opposed to now. 

And I don't get how you can say Miller is worth more in a flat cap. 

You don't really have to reply. I'm kinda just making a statement. You favor Miller entirely too much,  while continually hating on Trouba. 

And that's fine. We all have our favorites. And we all have the players we never were on board for (Goodrow for me).

Blah blah blah. He got bumped off by ADA not Fox.

I've hated Trouba because he's not worth his paycheck. You've always hated Miller ok and, so?

The cap isn't flat.

Stop trying to manufacture drama. Miller and Trouba have nothing to do with each other. One is 30 and the other 24. 

Trouba was overpaid by about $1.5m when he signed the deal. He was worth about 6.5m. I actually think he’s about a $4-5m defenseman, but when you factor in the “intangibles”, hitting, leadership, I think he’d get about that 6.5 figure on the open market today. He never grew into the 8m guy they hoped.

They have to be careful not to make the same mistake with Miller. He’s a bum on defense with occasional flair on offense.

• Keeps it 100 1

24 minutes ago, Pete said:

Blah blah blah. He got bumped off by ADA not Fox.

I've hated Trouba because he's not worth his paycheck. You've always hated Miller ok and, so?

The cap isn't flat.

Stop trying to manufacture drama. Miller and Trouba have nothing to do with each other. One is 30 and the other 24. 

Well as usual.  You are wrong and have to be immature.  "Blah blah blah"

I have backed Miller from day 1. I'm no longer backing him. 

The cap has been flat for about 4 years now. What planet have you been on. Did you forget Covid happened and made it pretty much a flat cap? 

Troubas worth at age 24 has a lot to do with Miller's worth at 24. I mean unless you have a narrative and can't admit you favor one player over another,  because you have this burning need to be right about something. 

50 point all around top pairing d man is only worth 5 million in a regular cap ear.

30 point one dimensional 2nd pairing D man is worth 6 when the cap is essentially flat. 

Got it.

Petenomics.

But blah blah blah I guess.