• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#57) Rangers @ New Jersey Devils — Paying to See Hughes Lose

Phil

58 minutes ago, Pistol Pete said:

As a former goalie coach I give him all the credit and pull hard for him every game, but if you go back to all those 1 goal games, most of the goals were soft…that’s it…doesn’t take away from his game otherwise…

Well, I'm not going to get into who's a former coach, player, spectator, or whatever. I honestly think most, if not all, people that contribute here on the regular are very knowledgeable in the sport. The GDt is always filled with emotional hot takes so I, not really trying to call you specifically out. We all do it. I just think, that if you are going to bring some of this stuff up tonight of all nights, then you basically aren't going to ever give credit to a guy like Shesty unless he is perfect 100% of the time. That's just unrealistic. I see the same stuff happen with Laf here. Sometimes it's just better to enjoy the good and see where it takes us. I do love your passion though in these GDTs.

LGR! 

• Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Eight may be great, but nine is DEVINE, baby!!!

Hey Devils, take that, you swamp pricks!  Matt Rempe (The Undertaker) set the tone early, and the Devils really looked cautious after that.  Physical play has rarely if ever been a trait of this franchise, but good God it feels so good to have a team that can loosen teeth with some bone-rattling checks!

Call it clean, call it dirty, I don't give a fuck.  That's a tone setter!  We played a rough game, and kept everything pretty much to the perimeter.  NJ looked like they had something else to do tonight, because they were downright awful.

In a season high post count GDT, here are the Top 24 nominees for tonight's “Ozzy Quote of the GDT”, sponsored by Old City Public House, where the wings are just as delectable as those beautiful hits we put on those punks tonight!

3 hours ago, siddious said:

What penalty is given for straight murder on the ice?

3 hours ago, Dunny said:

He made 2 Devils cry on his first shift lol

3 hours ago, Dem said:

He hit him w his shoulder the moron in red had his head down. This has become a yeast infection league

3 hours ago, phillyb said:

EAT THE DIRTIEST SHIT YOU CAN FIND NJ

3 hours ago, siddious said:

Congrats to whoever took Mika to score 5 on 5 +60000 on draft kings 

2 hours ago, Dem said:

It's the Devils crowd. Probably have a cardigan runway show going on

2 hours ago, Pistol Pete said:

Bastion should get a match penalty for getting his ass kicked!

2 hours ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

Bastian might reconsider his entire career after tonight

2 hours ago, Pistol Pete said:

As if Devils fans couldn’t suck enough, now they blow those stupid elephant horns…

2 hours ago, siddious said:

I really like this team lately. Add a 1RW at the deadline and depth and go with this team. Rempe and Edstrom have given that 4th line not only purpose but some great energy. I’m all in on the kielbasi posse keep brodzinski in the lineup.

1 hour ago, knedragon said:

Lindgren coming down doing his best Jacques Cousteau impression 

1 hour ago, Pistol Pete said:

That deserves an “OOhhh La la…SASSON!”

1 hour ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

Jack Hughes looks like he’s rethinking that extension

1 hour ago, delneggs said:

Trouba with an awesome hit.  Love Bastian's tears.  LOL

You can't tell me that this team hasn't been much more physical since Rempe and Edstrom were called up.  Lindy is hitting.  Schneider is hitting.  Trouba is hitting again. Cuylee is hitting, but in fairness to him, he has been hitting all year.  

If Drury sends Rempe down to the AHL, I'm going to drive to MSG and beat him!  

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

100% fake. I have a hog 

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Rempire State Building forever.

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

He hit him in the 37th floor but it was ground level for Rempe

1 hour ago, Lord Al said:

Matt Rempe ,Adam Edstrom  =Devastation Inc.

1 hour ago, Pistol Pete said:

I don’t think refs will call a penalty on the devils unless there is penetration.

1 hour ago, siddious said:

Who wants to marry me at MSG so we can get a rangers fan commercial too?

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Igor is goalie-ing another team for the 3rd indoor game in a row. Just dragging his big ol' Russian sack all over the Devils' faces tonight

1 hour ago, siddious said:

It’s not gay if you’re trying to get on tv 

1 hour ago, Cash or Czech said:

Hey, at least the fans paid to see one of the 1OAs show up

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

How did they lose to this satanic type piles of shit last spring? 

Laff pops 2 beauties, and Panarin goes off for 3 apples, in a game we spent a lot of the time with guys in the box.

Tonight's winning quote for the GDT goes to @delneggs!!!  I think you speak for a bunch of us, my good man!  The sweetest part was watching Siegenthaler try to take exception and get bitch-slapped for his effort!

Have a seat fuck-o! 

Don't look now boys, but the band is starting to come together!

Our.....NEW YORK RANGERS!!!!!  We go for 10 against the Flyers Saturday!  Bring the pain, gents!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Applause 3

• Phil unpinned this topic
6 minutes ago, Valriera said:

And I fucking love him for it

Word. And I hope he keeps his edge and despite what happened last night, that was a classic example of a clean hit where he was already committed and Bastian made a choice to try and play the puck instead of protect himself. Not much Rempe can do there as it happened in a split second. 

• Like 1

lol Great stat. Love what he's brought in his 'limited' playing time. 😆 Hopefully he stays up for a little while. I'm sure he'll be back down by the deadline, but he's made a difference just adding that little extra physical element. It's nice that he and Edstrom and provided some in-house assistance for the bottom six.

Rempe is EXACTLY what this team needed.  An energetic humongous kid that plays responsibly with a tough edge.

Pete's right...situational awareness is on the opposing player here.  Albeit, he didn't see Rempe coming off the bench, but he had to know someone was coming.  Unfortunately for Bastian, it was the 8pm Rempe Express, fresh outta Penn and it was haulin' ass!

Now we have Cuylle, Edstrom, Rempe, Trouba, Schneider, Goodrow, Lindgren, Brodzinski and Vesey to an extent that can all throw the body pretty well.

I'd really like to get another glimpse of Mackey before the playoffs.  With these team creating space with tough play, it should open up a lot more ice for our goal scorers!

Edited by Ozzy

I took the wife out last night and missed this one. I might need to watch more than the highlights, because this sounds like it was a "call a doctor because we're at full mast for more than four hours" kinda game.

Saw the goals and the Rempe/Trouba hits. Are we sure Bastian isn't just a sub?

• LOL 1

I love what Rempe is bringing, but that was a penalty through and through. Head was the main point of contact and it was avoidable, combined with Bastian’s body position did not significantly change. Only reason he probably won’t get suspended is because Bastian returned to the game.

I would tell a Devils fan I thought it was completely legal though just because fuck them 😉

12 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I love what Rempe is bringing, but that was a penalty through and through. Head was the main point of contact and it was avoidable, combined with Bastian’s body position did not significantly change. Only reason he probably won’t get suspended is because Bastian returned to the game.

I would tell a Devils fan I thought it was completely legal though just because fuck them 😉

It was a pretty textbook hit, IMO. but any time you hit the head, you're gonna get the book thrown at you. I'm fine with the match penalty, but I'd be annoyed with a suspension. The only reason the head was the chief point of contact was because Bastian was staring at the ice.

Glad Bastian's okay, especially so he could come back and get punked by Trouba, and again so he could come back and get facepunched by Trouba.

5 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

It was a pretty textbook hit, IMO. but any time you hit the head, you're gonna get the book thrown at you. I'm fine with the match penalty, but I'd be annoyed with a suspension. The only reason the head was the chief point of contact was because Bastian was staring at the ice.

Glad Bastian's okay, especially so he could come back and get punked by Trouba, and again so he could come back and get facepunched by Trouba.

I want to see a montage of Bastian's night last night.

• LMFAO 1

That hit is within the rules today, methinks. I believe the match penalty was issued because an injury resulted in the hit, which is humorous cause Bastian came back to the game only to get Trouba'd. 

I also think that hit will not be legal in tomorrow's league, though. 

36 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Rempe is EXACTLY what this team needed.  An energetic humongous kid that plays responsibly with a tough edge.

Pete's right...situational awareness is on the opposing player here.  Albeit, he didn't see Rempe coming off the bench, but he had to know someone was coming.  Unfortunately for Bastian, it was the 8pm Rempe Express, fresh outta Penn and it was haulin' ass!

Now we have Cuylle, Edstrom, Rempe, Trouba, Schneider, Goodrow, Lindgren, Brodzinski and Vesey to an extent that can all throw the body pretty well.

I'd really like to get another glimpse of Mackey before the playoffs.  With these team creating space with tough play, it should open up a lot more ice for our goal scorers!

It's unlikely that Rempe is here for the playoffs.

He's suspended for the next game unless they appeal the match, I believe. I think Othmann should get a look on the top line with Vesey going back to the fourth line. His stint on the top line has not been a successful as previous chances. 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

It's unlikely that Rempe is here for the playoffs.

He's suspended for the next game unless they appeal the match, I believe. I think Othmann should get a look on the top line with Vesey going back to the fourth line. His stint on the top line has not been a successful as previous chances. 

Probably so, Pete....I just love to see that kind of play for us, rather than against us all the time.  I do hope we let him stick around a while to get a good taste of what's ahead for him.  He sure is fun to root for!

11 minutes ago, phillyb said:

@Pete I'm kind of surprised to see that you're ok with the Rempe hit, but didn't like the Trouba hit on Nosek. What's the difference you're seeing?

Edited to add the hit on Nosek: 

Trouba saw Nosek's head down, could have played the puck, didn't. 

Rempe was already committed when Bastian put his head down to find the puck. He's also much taller. 

Trouba is also a known headhunter. 

Just my $.02, others may feel differently. We all have our own POVs. 

Edited by Pete
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Body position is key. It’s one thing for a moving player to be skating up or cross ice with his head down, and get blasted with  some unintentional head contact because it’s a moving target. We see that a lot with Trouba, and I defend it because it deserves to be defended. In this case, Bastian is not changing body posture much and he’s allowed to have his head down along the boards without his head getting directly blasted.

Rempe’s form was textbook. Elbows down, and he didn’t elevate. He’s just going to have to learn how to play within the line, especially given his size. I love this guy though. Feels good to have someone willing to push the envelope as cleanly as possible.

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 2