• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

8 Early Trade Deadline Targets for Rangers

RichieNextel305

7 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Anthony Duclair.....make it happen. Success awaits on the top line sir. Will cost pennies on the dollar; it just makes sense.

This is probably most likely and it does make sense, if only he didn't stink. 

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1
  • Bullseye 1

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

This is probably most likely and it does make sense, if only he didn't stink. 

I see your point, but there's a lack of true high end talent out there right now.  Fucks sake, we had a conversation about Kyle Okposo like five hours ago. Duclair is likely among the best reasonable options out there.

It says far more about the market than anything else, but....you can't play aces you don't have.

• Cheers 1

Another name mentioned by Kaplan (on Vince's pod) is Luke Kunin. I'm a fan. Mentioned/suggested him a while back.

His numbers are abysmal but I'm pretty sure it's because he plays for a horrendous Sharks team (where everyone's numbers are in the toilet). USNTDP/Team USA guy. Dirt cheap. Mean as hell. Plays all three F positions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

I see your point, but there's a lack of true high end talent out there right now.  Fucks sake, we had a conversation about Kyle Okposo like five hours ago. Duclair is likely among the best reasonable options out there.

It says far more about the market than anything else, but....you can't play aces you don't have.

I think when the market doesn't have good players it doesn't mean you trade for bad ones. 

• Keeps it 100 2

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think when the market doesn't have good players it doesn't mean you trade for bad ones. 

Right, but if you're going to, make sure you're buying them for pennies, not dollars. I'd rather spend a 5th for Kunin than a 1st (or even a 2nd) for Henrique or Wennberg or any of these JAGs.

Rangers have been in first the entire season and near top of the league too.  They have a weakness on Mika's RW that can and should be addressed.  With that being said they shouldn't just get just any one though, especially for the wrong price.  Worse case scenario stick with what we have and they still have a legitimate shot at the Cup.  It just could be a better shot if they improve the roster a little bit.

Edited by RJWantsTheCup
  • Applause 2

23 minutes ago, Phil said:

Right, but if you're going to, make sure you're buying them for pennies, not dollars. I'd rather spend a 5th for Kunin than a 1st (or even a 2nd) for Henrique or Wennberg or any of these JAGs.

It's flawed logic, but if we spent a 1st on a guy that meaningfully impacts us winning the Cup, and that guy was only really "worth" a third, I don't really care.

1 minute ago, LindG1000 said:

It's flawed logic, but if we spent a 1st on a guy that meaningfully impacts us winning the Cup, and that guy was only really "worth" a third, I don't really care.

Yes, sure, and if you don't, you'll feel the consequences of that action.

43 minutes ago, Phil said:

What makes you think he can be had for a 5th? 

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

What makes you think he can be had for a 5th? 

A guess based on the fact he has ten points in 53 games this season on the league's worst team. I certainly wouldn't be giving much more than that for this kind of player based on the same principle I just illustrated. I'm just not interested in adding anyone if it's at Gaustad-for-a-first-type prices. Greedflation.

• Keeps it 100 1

7 hours ago, Br4d said:

What holes do the Rangers have right now?

Just asking because this isn't the roster we had heading into January and every other month has looked pretty good.

???

1 & 3 RW

3C

7 th D. 

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

???

1 & 3 RW

3C

7 th D. 

1 and 3 aren't a hole. You either have KK as your first line or third line wing, then you need another wing. 

7th D will be Mackey or Scanlin. 

They really need a utility forward who can play Wing and Center. 

Edited by Pete

I brought him up a while ago, but if the Rangers are bargain shopping or scrap heap diving,  Sammy Blais is who they need to bring in. He's having a disaster season after having a great resurgence upon returning to the Blues last season. 

He's a vet. He's gritty. He has playoff experience.  He's dirt cheap. He can be slid up down and out of the lineup. Future considerations should be the cost. 

He was supposed to be the RW for the 20/93 combo before he got Subban'ed. Try it again for peanuts.  He's atleast a depth forward to have on hand for the playoffs. 

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

1 and 3 aren't a hole. You either have KK as your first line or third line wing, then you need another wing. 

7th D will be Mackey or Scanlin. 

They really need a utility forward who can play Wing and Center. 

There definitely a need for a RW. Don't mind Kakko on line 3, but I'm assuming he is likely to be bundled in a trade for the 1RW and the 3C. 

I'm not sure Laviolette would be sold on Jones or an AHL D man for the 7th D as insurance for any injury to a D in the playoffs.  

But, yeah. Much like last season we can agree that a guy that can play both C and RW would be the preferred move. I think we agreed that Domi would have been a better fit for the teams needs last season around the deadline.  

Fuck it. Reilly Smith for our 1st. He's signed through next season. Maybe get some retention.  If Anaheim is going to put Drury to the coals for Vatrano,  then shift gears.  Fuck them. 

Pens want to keep Guentzel? They should dump 3-4-5 mill of Smiths contract (depending on  retention %) right now and resign/extend your guy. Smith is a hired gun whom isn't doing great in Pitt. Supposedly he may not be that happy to be there. 

Edited by The Dude

5 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Anyone wondering if Vatrano is the guy to get???

Vatrano goes backhand shelf for 2nd goal of game ✌️
https://www.thescore.com/s/26571750

He is. He finishes. He has one more year. He only costs 3.65. He had success here in that role in the past. Give Anaheim the first, Zac Jones and Barclay Goodrow.

You don't think Anaheim is on Goodrow trade list?

There's almost no chance at all he's getting traded during the season. 

Edited by Pete

23 minutes ago, Pete said:

You don't think Anaheim is on Goodrow trade list?

There's almost no chance at all he's getting traded during the season. 

I don't think you're wrong. Having trouble coming up with a forward piece for this deal outside of Goodrow.

42 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Anyone wondering if Vatrano is the guy to get???

Vatrano goes backhand shelf for 2nd goal of game ✌️
https://www.thescore.com/s/26571750

He is. He finishes. He has one more year. He only costs 3.65. He had success here in that role in the past. Give Anaheim the first, Zac Jones and Barclay Goodrow.

I’ve had a feeling for awhile that Vatrano is going to end up on the Rangers.  A #1 and Jones I think is too much for him let alone Goodrow too though 

1 minute ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I’ve had a feeling for awhile that Vatrano is going to end up on the Rangers.  A #1 and Jones I think is too much for him let alone Goodrow too though 

I feel like the market is crazy and he is on a career year 30+g pace. That's the guy we want to catch lightning for a run this year. I'd absolutely give Jones and a first knowing we get two cracks at it with him, especially next year being a contract year for him. If I'm Drury, I'm pursuing nothing else at the moment. I think by giving Jones and a first, we lose nothing of value for the next two shots at bringing Lord Stanley back to NY. 🤞

We have Perrault and Othmann in the wings for the next couple years as well. I'm all in.