• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

8 Early Trade Deadline Targets for Rangers

RichieNextel305

25 minutes ago, Phil said:

I don't think so, no, because they're not getting anything back to replace what they're losing in Bennett. Kakko is garbage and plays wing. If Chytil were healthy, I guess, maybe you could try to put him into this kind of deal, but he also plays nothing like Bennett does in the playoffs.

Frankly, I don't think they have any interest at all in moving on from him. Not even to get Miller.

And why on earth would Florida be trading away any roster players at the deadline? 

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

And why on earth would Florida be trading away any roster players at the deadline? 

Right, that's my point. It's not taking into account their needs. If they want Miller, they're trading for him to go for it again. They're offering the Rangers picks and prospects. They're not giving up Bennett or any of their core roster players to do so.

• Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

When was the last time a NYR coach sat a star or seriously reduced TOI as motivation? I'm not defending players, but it almost seems like an oxymoron. Or am I a moron?

*asking for myself*

2 hours ago, Pete said:

The better question might be who is the last NHL coach that actually does this? 

Because the list begins and ends with Tortorella. 

Tocchet, Tortorella, Brind'Amour, Sullivan have sat a star or seriously reduced TOI.  Cooper, Bednar, Cassidy could but largely don't because it isn't in their style.  Laviolette has been around long enough that he could but largely chooses not to because of style.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Because they pretty much have 2-  #2 centers that are playing out of position on wings ( Reinhardt, Verhaeghe as well as Cousins). I've read that they are looking for inexpensive yet high potential help on the wing and it's pretty obvious they could use a bit of help in the form of an offensive D man, for down the road. They have a lot if UFAs leaving the roster this summer. So... I figured they may want to address some needs for the future and kinda now. 

Bennett isn't having a great offensive season. 

I mean, we're talking about Clayton Keller like hes available,  but Sam Bennet is a ridiculous want? 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Because they pretty much have 2-  #2 centers that are playing out of position on wings ( Reinhardt, Verhaeghe as well as Cousins). I've read that they are looking for inexpensive yet high potential help on the wing and it's pretty obvious they could use a bit of help in the form of an offensive D man, for down the road. They have a lot if UFAs leaving the roster this summer. So... I figured they may want to address some needs for the future and kinda now. 

Bennett isn't having a great offensive season. 

I mean, we're talking about Clayton Keller like hes available,  but Sam Bennet is a ridiculous want?

No, not a ridiculous want. They just have no reason to move him, and what you've offered to try and pry him out doesn't move the needle enough for them to want to do it.

A quote from Yzerman when being asking about the trade deadline and if it’s playoff or bust for the Wings:

"Our goal isn’t just to make the playoffs," Yzerman said. "Our goal is to build a team that can compete for a championship. So the moves we’re making along the way aren’t necessarily designed toward, 'Oh my god, we gotta make the playoffs this year, or playoffs-or-bust.' No, we’re trying to build a nucleus of a young team that’s going to be together for a long time that can compete in the playoffs for the Stanley Cup, and we’re sticking with that path."

• Like 1
  • LMFAO 1

Players have ups and downs, slumps, streaks, get injured and don't report the injury.  There are role players and players that exceed all expectations.  The Rangers are loaded with these guys at all positions (including goal).  What they need is a pure goal scorer who shoots first from all sides and has a wicked shot that goes in more than it gets stopped.  The player that will benefit most from being traded is Lafrenière.  For whatever reason the guy can't put the puck in the ocean if he were standing on the edge of a pier.  He plays roughly 17 minutes a night, has 14 goals on 140 shots and is a -9 (+/-) this year.  Contrast him with Cuyle.  Cuyle plays roughly 11 minutes a night, has 9 goals on 77 shots and is a +4 (+/-) this year.  Both players have appeared in 53 games this year.  Lafrenière gets good looks, has lots of chances and rarely hits the mark.  A change of scenery may be his best bet to be a star and the Rangers could get the pieces they need now if winning now is their goal.  The Rangers also need a goon.  They were physical last night against Calgary but Panarin should not ever be in the middle of a "fight".  He, like Igor and Fox, need a protector that creates room for them.  Refs aren't calling instigator penalities anymore and last night was weird because 3 Rangers were skating to the penalty box without their helmets on which means someone knocked them off.  I thought knocking off a helmet was a penalty?  So someone for Calgary should have gotten a double minor for roughing during that Panarin scrum.  Point is, if the refs aren't calling penalties on the ice then the players and the teams need to protect themselves.  The Rangers won't get far in the playoffs if they keep getting run over when the physical play gets dirty.

45 minutes ago, Steve said:

Players have ups and downs, slumps, streaks, get injured and don't report the injury.  There are role players and players that exceed all expectations.  The Rangers are loaded with these guys at all positions (including goal).  What they need is a pure goal scorer who shoots first from all sides and has a wicked shot that goes in more than it gets stopped.  The player that will benefit most from being traded is Lafrenière.  For whatever reason the guy can't put the puck in the ocean if he were standing on the edge of a pier.  He plays roughly 17 minutes a night, has 14 goals on 140 shots and is a -9 (+/-) this year.  Contrast him with Cuyle.  Cuyle plays roughly 11 minutes a night, has 9 goals on 77 shots and is a +4 (+/-) this year.  Both players have appeared in 53 games this year.  Lafrenière gets good looks, has lots of chances and rarely hits the mark.  A change of scenery may be his best bet to be a star and the Rangers could get the pieces they need now if winning now is their goal.  The Rangers also need a goon.  They were physical last night against Calgary but Panarin should not ever be in the middle of a "fight".  He, like Igor and Fox, need a protector that creates room for them.  Refs aren't calling instigator penalities anymore and last night was weird because 3 Rangers were skating to the penalty box without their helmets on which means someone knocked them off.  I thought knocking off a helmet was a penalty?  So someone for Calgary should have gotten a double minor for roughing during that Panarin scrum.  Point is, if the refs aren't calling penalties on the ice then the players and the teams need to protect themselves.  The Rangers won't get far in the playoffs if they keep getting run over when the physical play gets dirty.

Laf is unlikely to be a star at this point.  Good player yes, star unlikely.

He could do something major to make a change and reach his early ceiling but that's what it's going to take.

There's some possible options on Pittsburgh.  It doesn't look like they are clicking on any cylinders and should probably sell off some pieces. 

Reilly Smith has always been a guy that looks like he'd be a good fit for the Rangers. He's got one more year at a 5 mill cap hit. 

Rickard Rakell isn't all that great, and is 30, signed for 4 more years at a 5 mill cap hit. He's having a bad year. Probably a mistake contract for the Pens. Could the Rangers trade their own mistake contract for theirs? Goodrow for Rakell? The Rangers are taking on more salary,  but get a possible fit. Rakell is a shooter. Is that too much of a mistake contract to take on?  My garbage for your garbage? 

Jeff Carter. Hes old AF, but is a tough customer come playoff time. He's a net crasher that has accepted that he's now a bottom 6 forward. I'm not sure where his speed is at this season,  but since hes on their 4th line, it cant be good. He's making 3 mill and is UFA after this season. I'm looking for playoff pieces that play physical.  Beggars can't be choosers and he'd be more of an insurance type. I'm not into Brodzinski as a definite staple as 3C. I'd think Carter can come 50% retained for next to nothing.  

Acciari- Some were hoping for him at last year's deadline. He's got 2 more years at 2 mill left on a freshly signed contract 32 years old. Currently out with a concussion. His boxcar stats absolutely stink, but is good on faceoffs. He brings a bit of grit and some versatility. 

I'm scraping the barrell here folks. Just trying to come up with new avenues. Spit balling. Don't kill me. 

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

Carter has been done for 2 years 

I know hesxold and not what he once was. But he was a fucking pain in the ass and very disruptive against the Rangers 2 seasons ago in the playoffs. 

As I said though. I don't know what hes like now and figured it wasn't very good considering he's on their 4th line. Was suggesting as a depth guy as a backup to Brodzinski. Play off experience and all that. But I guess he's really really done from the comments. 

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

He’s fucking awful at this point in his career. Beyond awful. Penguins fans can’t stand him anymore. He’s aged like milk. For the role he would be asked to play coming in here, he would be a terrible fit.

Back up 3C?  As opposed to Riley Nash and Leschyshyn? 

OK. 

Guess it's that bad. 

• LOL 1

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Back up 3C?  As opposed to Riley Nash and Leschyshyn? 

OK. 

Guess it's that bad. 

Haha yeah man, to be honest, I’d rather those guys to giving up anything for him. Pittsburgh would trade him for less than Jackie Moon traded to get Ed Monica in Semi Pro. And that was for a fucking washing machine.

• Like 1
  • LMFAO 1

Per Emily Kaplan, names she’s heard either linked to the Rangers or (in Kevin Hayes case) a name that may make sense provided he’s available:

-Adam Henrique (ANA)

-Jack Roslovic (CBJ)

-Kevin Hayes (STL)

-Yanni Gourde/Jordan Eberle (SEA)

-Anthony Duclair (SJ)

Fast forward to the 3:19 mark for talk on the trade deadline possibilities.

Edited by RichieNextel305