• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS #11] Rangers at Minnesota Wild — Zucc on This

Drew a Penalty

Quick did what he could. Unfortunate bounce on the shootout winner. 

Not a good effort tonight except from Panarin and Gustafsson. 

I think I've seen enough of Kakko on the Zibanejad line. They need something else or totally blow up the line.  This one line carrying the team shit can't continue. 

Brodzinski had a stinker. Schneider is regressing, Kakko is wasting away as he can't find chemistry with the top players,  Zibanejad was invisible, Trocheck too... Just a bad game after potting a quick 3. 

We knew there was still work to be done,  but I'm getting ancy with how ineffective the forwards lines are without Panarin on the ice. 

This team needs an energy player.  

33 minutes ago, Kevin said:

For the Wild?

If Schneider didn't fuck up on his pinch by giving the puck away, Jones was looking for an opportunity to get pucks to the net and was controlling the puck on that point,  really well. Had room to do what he does,  but Schneider coughed it up down low sending play the other way, which trapped that unit in the Rangers zone for that 3 minutes. 

IDK What Schneiders deal is, but they have to fix him. He's no longer on my untouchable list.

Schneider,  Kakko and Goodrow. What RW can they get for that combination?  Shit, I'd take Andrew Copp back (minus Kakko included). 

6 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Rangers are playing down a Vezina winner and a Norris winner against a desperate team trying to right the ship during a losing streak....at home. I'll take the road point and lesson learned anytime in November. 

I don’t want to put words in your mouth, but what lesson were they supposed to have learned tonight?  Wouldn’t it have been better to win when spotted a 3-0 lead against a Wild team that hasn’t been very good to start the year?

As a fan, I buy you can’t win them all and to focus on all the positive play lately.  We got a point, but I don’t see what lesson they learned.

I've been to every game the Rangers have played in MN since the Wild started in 2000, about 25 games, and this was my last, as we are in the process of moving from MN to NH.  This was the least gratifiying of the 25.  It made Game 7 against the Devils look like an inspired effort.

The 1-3-1 strategy is supposed to avoid what happened tonight.  The Rangers were rarely even able to get in a 1-3-1 formation, and when they did, the Wild easily broke it.

Mica is really no where to be found mat games.  Without his powerplay time I don’t think he’s had an impactful game all year. Most games he’s coasting, looks disengaged and honestly not like the impactful player he has been in the past.  I can’t help but wonder/suspect that the anchor on his wing known as Kappo has a lot to do with this but it’s time for Mica to figure this out!

9 hours ago, Keirik said:

Rangers are playing down a Vezina winner and a Norris winner against a desperate team trying to right the ship during a losing streak....at home. I'll take the road point and lesson learned anytime in November. 

Nothing more to be said about this game other than time to try Kakko elsewhere in the lineup. I think Wheeler will be more effective up there. He may be a little slow but he has the skills and will benefit from the linemates up there. Kakko with Tro and Vesey or Cuylle will be a good look.

10 hours ago, fletch said:

I don’t want to put words in your mouth, but what lesson were they supposed to have learned tonight?  Wouldn’t it have been better to win when spotted a 3-0 lead against a Wild team that hasn’t been very good to start the year?

As a fan, I buy you can’t win them all and to focus on all the positive play lately.  We got a point, but I don’t see what lesson they learned.

Well. I never said it was better to lose than win. I'm not sure where you are getting that from. The lessons are to not take any opponent lightly, to play a full 60, to continue to do the little things and play smart hockey even when up early, etc. I'm not sure how you don't see that to be honest. Laviolette didn't take a timeout to discuss after game catering options. And it didn't work even slightly so there are still things to learn. I'm sure there will be a film session, or team meeting at some point, or practice where they discuss a few things done wrong last night. Teams are going to play stinkers from time to time. This was one of them, and we still got a point out of it. 

Watching the recap it looks like the Wild were faster than the Rangers and the Rangers didn’t clear anyone out in front of Quick.  Looked like poor defensive positioning on most of the goals.  Maybe  it’s going to be harder to teach old dogs new tricks than it appeared during the winning streak.  

9 hours ago, Sod16 said:

I've been to every game the Rangers have played in MN since the Wild started in 2000, about 25 games, and this was my last, as we are in the process of moving from MN to NH.  This was the least gratifiying of the 25.  It made Game 7 against the Devils look like an inspired effort.

The 1-3-1 strategy is supposed to avoid what happened tonight.  The Rangers were rarely even able to get in a 1-3-1 formation, and when they did, the Wild easily broke it.

The Rangers team speed is suspect at this point.  We're going to have tough games against the teams that skate very well like the Wild.  This has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with if you can't keep up you're going to be embarrassed now and then.

The other thing last night is the Rangers were chasing the puck in the defensive zone way too much.  It's like the new defensive pairings hadn't gotten their timing down and the forwards just had a rough night in the defensive zone.

Edit: just going to add that the Wheeler experiment needs to end soon.  Tough to do down a forward but he is so slow that he's a risk every time he's on the ice without regard to who the matchup is.  He's -4 now on a team that is +10 collectively and he's not even on the ice that much.

Edited by Br4d

We got to see all sides of it last night, going from "Fox who??", to last year's playoffs revisited, not being able to clear a zone.  Credit Quick for basically standing on his head to secure a point in a game that saw us piss away all the momentum in about a 10 minute span!

...and here are the Top 11 nominees for last night's “Ozzy Quote of the GDT”, sponsored by John Holmes, the only guy with a bigger stick than Zucc!

14 hours ago, Keirik said:

Been awake since 4am. Children are overrated Barclay. Dumb move. 

14 hours ago, siddious said:

See we don’t need fox. Trade that bum.

13 hours ago, Kevin said:

Zuc can’t control his John Holmes hockey stick

13 hours ago, Br4d said:

That's how Harvard guys get the girls?

13 hours ago, The Dude said:

Wait. There's still time outs in hockey? GG never used them. 

13 hours ago, The Dude said:

Wow Rossi with the Top Gun Maverick move, hitting the brakes. 

12 hours ago, Keirik said:

Just missed? Lettieiririri shot it 17 ft wide? That's like saying I just missed with Taylor Swift because I tried on a Travis Kelce jersey once 

12 hours ago, phillyb said:

Turn on the tv to see zucc score. Bittersweet. 

12 hours ago, CBrowningPI said:

Kakko will turn out to be a Bonino 

12 hours ago, Keirik said:

I have to go to bed soon.let's go Rangers. It's my only chance for a happy ending 

11 hours ago, Valriera said:

A win here would be absolute larceny - a point already is lol we played five minutes of hockey. This is like when my wife does five seconds of work in bed and is a legend for the week!

Just a frustrating game to watch, so many screw ups, and deviation from the system that was created by this coaching staff.  Besides that, how many fucking bad bounces can you get???  Good Christ!!  Hit the post and bounce off the back of Quick to go in??

How about a nice pass deflection off a broken stick for the go ahead goal???  Ahh Fuck it!!  We're lucky we got a point outta that puke!

…and the winning quote for tonight’s GDT goes to @Valriera Val, with a great one to sum up this night of entertainment!! 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

Well. I never said it was better to lose than win. I'm not sure where you are getting that from. The lessons are to not take any opponent lightly, to play a full 60, to continue to do the little things and play smart hockey even when up early, etc. I'm not sure how you don't see that to be honest. Laviolette didn't take a timeout to discuss after game catering options. And it didn't work even slightly so there are still things to learn. I'm sure there will be a film session, or team meeting at some point, or practice where they discuss a few things done wrong last night. Teams are going to play stinkers from time to time. This was one of them, and we still got a point out of it. 

Thank you for clarification.  Given the Rangers history over the last few years, I doubt this is THE GAME that they learn to 'not take any opponent lightly, to play a full 60, to continue to do the little things and play smart hockey even when up early.'  If it is, awesome.  A common criticism of Gallant is that he failed to take in-game timeouts, and make strategic adjustments.  Laviolette took an in-game time-out to make in game adjustments, and the team still failed to work hard nor tighten things up in the defensive end.

I think it's better to look at this game as a point earned, a lost opportunity for a win, and a poor team performance.  I call BS that this is a 'learning experience' - it's a feel-good statement that sounds like a platitude. We've seen a bunch of games like this over the past few years with various coaching regimes. 

However, we can look at the recent stretch of games, and choose to see this as an aberration. With on-ice results, we can see progress and feel good about how the Rangers are doing this year, feel good about our chances of making the playoffs, and an opportunity for redemption and a deep playoff run.  Time will tell.  

I don't think this specific game is one to panic over. They came off a long trip, home for one game, then back on the road...Just brutal. Then playing without Fox, Chytil, Goodrow, Shesty (goaltending was not why they lost this one, but still) against a team that really looked at this as a must-win since they've had a slow start...Was still a winnable game. They got a point and who cares that Minny got an extra.

The larger concern here is still 5v5 offense. Moving Wheeler up the lineup doesn't seem like the answer, but maybe Mika and CK can carry him because he's useless otherwise.

• Like 3
  • Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

The larger concern here is still 5v5 offense. Moving Wheeler up the lineup doesn't seem like the answer, but maybe Mika and CK can carry him because he's useless otherwise.

Jimmy Vesey to RW on line #1.  At least he'll give them consistent defense and he can't mesh any worse than Kakko has.  So Kreider - Zibanejad - Vesey.

Line #2 as is with Panarin - Trocheck - Lafreniere.  Figure out what moves to make when Chytil gets back.

Line #3 Cuylle - Bonino - Kakko.  They check at 3 different speeds.  It might work out.

Line #4 Pitlick - Brodzinski - Goodrow.

Healthy Scratch: Wheeler.

That's all I got right now.  The Rangers RW situation is almost situation normal depending on how you view Laffy's conversion at this point.  Was very funny watching both him and Panarin set up down the left side on one of the shifts last night.  Brain fart on his part no doubt but he clearly would rather be on the forehand.

12 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Jimmy Vesey to RW on line #1.  At least he'll give them consistent defense and he can't mesh any worse than Kakko has.  So Kreider - Zibanejad - Vesey.

Line #2 as is with Panarin - Trocheck - Lafreniere.  Figure out what moves to make when Chytil gets back.

Line #3 Cuylle - Bonino - Kakko.  They check at 3 different speeds.  It might work out.

That's all I got right now.  The Rangers RW situation is almost situation normal depending on how you view Laffy's conversion at this point.  Was very funny watching both him and Panarin set up down the left side on one of the shifts last night.  Brain fart on his part no doubt but he clearly would rather be on the forehand.

The only thing I disagree with is moving Bonino up. That guy is terrible and slow. 

Don't mind Vesey on the 1st line. Was trying to get some kind of use out of Wheeler. I don't see a world where he gets scratched. He got his first point with a really smart pass to Gustafsson. Maybe he can do something with that. 

12 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I could get on board with those line combinations until Chytil gets back but I don’t see them scratching Wheeler.  Pitlick will continue to be the 13th forward unless they use Goodrow at center and scratch Brodzinski.  
The D pairings are more of a concern while Fox is out.  
Whatever happened to untouchable in a trade Schneider?