• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS #10] Rangers vs Carolina Hurricanes — Tropical Storm Tony

Drew a Penalty

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

A rather gutsy performance by the crew in Blue tonight!! 

For all the grief I've given Trouba, I'm gonna eat a pile of shit tonight...gladly!!  Fucking guy made some enormous blocks, played over 25 minutes, and made the play of his life getting it to Cuylle-Hand-Luke, who buries the winner!

A huge team victory tonight, and here are the Top 9 nominees for last night's “Ozzy Quote of the GDT”, sponsored by Band-Aid, for all those missed high stick fouls, and cheap hits by those pukes!

…and the winning quote for tonight’s GDT goes to @Dem, who had the setup of a lifetime for tonight's tilt!  The only thing I would've added was a pizza pie! 

Let's hope for the best with Foxy, and Chyts.  We can ill-afford to be without them for any amount of time!  Just a superb win for the guys tonight though!  ...and a 5v5 goal from the 3rd line for the winner???  NICE!!!

You'll have to forgive the omission on the pizza. I live in VA these days and finding a reasonable facsimile of pizza is a little tough. I'll do better next time lol

• VINNY! 1

• Phil unpinned this topic

https://nypost.com/2023/11/03/sports/adam-fox-filip-chytil-injuries-will-be-big-early-test-for-rangers-depth/

If, as seems likely, Fox is down for a while, Zac Jones will get his shot after having been scratched for nine of the first 10 games. Laviolette could well pair Schneider with Ryan Lindgren while the Trouba-K’Andre Miller tandem remains intact and Jones skates with Gustafsson.

It’s not ideal, but it’s hockey.

No bueno.

I might go Gustafsson-Lindgren on 1D since there's going to be a left-left pair no matter what you do.  Gustafsson is closest to Fox's mix of contributions, both on the PP and even strength.

That leaves Trouba-Miller intact and puts Schneider-Jones on 3D.

• Like 3
  • Bullseye 1

9 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I might go Gustafsson-Lindgren on 1D since there's going to be a left-left pair no matter what you do.  Gustafsson is closest to Fox's mix of contributions, both on the PP and even strength.

Miller-Trouba is effectively your first pair until Fox is back.

I think what you mentioned are the pairings Lavi will go with, though I wouldn’t mind seeing Jones with Lindgren.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Jones-Schneider is the poopy-flavored lollypop of a defensive pair. I'd rather split them up.

50 minutes ago, Br4d said:

It's what Laviolette did with Gustafsson last year. Took on top offensive D slot when what's his face got hurt. 

Probably see Miller/Trouba get more icetime though. 

• Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Jones-Schneider is the poopy-flavored lollypop of a defensive pair. I'd rather split them up.

I don't want to give either of them the minutes that splitting them up would entail.  They're both 3rd pair quality on this roster even with Fox out.

Edit: Put another way - of Trouba, Miller, Gustafsson and Lindgren who do you want to take minutes away from to give either Schneider or Jones more minutes?

Edited by Br4d

Just now, RJWantsTheCup said:

As much as Fox means to this team Chytil being out worries me more.  Rangers have zero center depth.  Trochek/Panarin doesn't work and who is a top 6 center even for just short term?

Was just thinking the same - Chytil out is a huge hit. Tro-Panarin do not work, I would imagine even more so with the scheme Lavvy has them playing. Your backups are......Goodrow and Brodz? Not confidence-inspiring at all.

• Keeps it 100 1

20 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

As much as Fox means to this team Chytil being out worries me more.  Rangers have zero center depth.  Trochek/Panarin doesn't work and who is a top 6 center even for just short term?

Tro and Panarin aren’t great together, but if it’s a short-term thing, with those 2 and Laf, it’s ok. 

Or maybe you put Panarin with Zib and CK with Trochek for a bit. 

57 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I don't want to give either of them the minutes that splitting them up would entail.  They're both 3rd pair quality on this roster even with Fox out.

Edit: Put another way - of Trouba, Miller, Gustafsson and Lindgren who do you want to take minutes away from to give either Schneider or Jones more minutes?

You use Lindgren and Gustafsson to make up for Schneider and Jones. Honestly I put Jones with Lindgren. Jones is a similar archetype to Fox, just AHL-level. Brainy, decent with stick, not physical, plays positionally. Lindgren also being a SAH defenseman means he's already covering for his partner. You split the Lindgren-Jones and Gustafsson-Schneider pairs ice time while giving Miller-Trouba 25+ minutes a night.

26 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

You use Lindgren and Gustafsson to make up for Schneider and Jones. Honestly I put Jones with Lindgren. Jones is a similar archetype to Fox, just AHL-level. Brainy, decent with stick, not physical, plays positionally. Lindgren also being a SAH defenseman means he's already covering for his partner. You split the Lindgren-Jones and Gustafsson-Schneider pairs ice time while giving Miller-Trouba 25+ minutes a night.

This makes the most sense to me...Hopefully Foxy isn't out very long.  At least he skated off under his own power, and even stopped to argue with the ref before he did.  I'm hoping it's just a bruised knee/thigh or a charley horse.

Chytil is always banged up, and I figured he'd be a little dinged up after running into Fast.  The replay even showed Fast never even saw him coming.  Besides, Fast doesn't play like an ass hat.  Can't say the same for the Aho hit on Fox.  That little prick needs his balls sawed off with a rusty blade!

Edited by Ozzy

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Nah. Trocheck and Panarin works fine together for a short period. Their underlying numbers are good and it's not like they can't play together. They shouldn't play together when everyone's healthy, but a few games here and there is no problem.

Missing 20-25 minutes of Fox every game and having to play Jones - Schneider together is a lot worse than missing Chytil.

28 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Great breakdown from Rupper

Aho's positioning was awful. His eyes were on Fox the whole time and he saw the contact coming. He didn't try to avoid the contact, instead he leaned into it by shifting his weight from left to right skate. You can see that pretty clearly on the replay from the other angle, which is not in the vid above. Like Rupp said, he wanted a piece of Fox because he got beat and Fox would have been left open in the slot.

There's planned dirty play and unplanned dirty play. I think it was the latter. I'm not fuming about it, but there is no question Aho was at fault and it probably should have been a 5 minute major penalty and a 1 game suspension. It was unplanned, but it was not incidental. It's a bad interference penalty.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1