• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lafrenière Re-Re-Reset: 2023–24 Edition

RichieNextel305

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Breaking down his skating stride and getting him stronger on his edges is something they specifically did this summer, but that could have been done at any point. You don't need to be 22 years old to do that. 

That’s fair.

The strength building part in his legs though…

I think that’s why the comments/rumblings we heard last summer regarding his offseason program.

Not that he wasn’t working or working hard enough.

But specifically what he was working on and how.

Which is exactly what I said last summer when everyone was shitting down his throat, calling him a lazy, fat ass, donut boy bust with a bad attitude.

43 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

spacer.png

You’re right when you say it’s not all on him.

But it’s clear he not only didn’t do enough. And what’s worse is that he wasn’t even concerned or cognizant enough to try.

And the argument about softness, physicality, north/south play, or whatever you wanna call it is BS too.

That’s apparently what he was telling them and what he wanted and what they were trying to do and it didn’t work. 

It’s not entirely on him and I posted in the last couple of days that I think overall he did well.

But he didn’t do enough 

And ultimately he lost the room because of that and his players knew it. 

• Applause 1

22 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

That’s fair.

The strength building part in his legs though…

I think that’s why the comments/rumblings we heard last summer regarding his offseason program.

Not that he wasn’t working or working hard enough.

But specifically what he was working on and how.

Which is exactly what I said last summer when everyone was shitting down his throat, calling him a lazy, fat ass, donut boy bust with a bad attitude.

I mean, that's fine but this guy looked out of shape and was always huffing and puffing. He's definitely leaner this year, but an efficient stride where he is getting from point A to B with less energy means he's less gassed. It's all related.

His bad attitude, maybe he just didn't like the coach, and now he does.

19 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

If you watch the video or read what people are saying here, no one is blaming Gallant for everything.

No, and no one really does. But, as a head coach, his actions (or non-actions) have impact and rippling effects. You can't ignore it, these guys are not paid millions of dollars to yell "Line change!"

And, if you watch the video, the analysis is obvious. But so were some of the choices. The things that held Lafreniere back were:

1. Ice time, both ES and PP
  2. Skating
  3. Work ethic (shift to shift, not talking about summer stuff)
  4. Being told to play a game that wasn't his game, affected other players
  5. And then let's add in the overall lack of continuity with the lineup that affected everyone

Now I don't blame Gallant at all for 1-3. But 4-5 rest directly on his shoulders.

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

I mean, that's fine but this guy looked out of shape and was always huffing and puffing. He's definitely leaner this year, but an efficient stride where he is getting from point A to B with less energy means he's less gassed. It's all related.

His bad attitude, maybe he just didn't like the coach, and now he does.

Yeah it’s tied in together.

I don’t think he looked out of shape, nor gassed all that much.

I think guys fill out and grow into their frame and get stronger naturally at that age and that’s a big part of things.

Your capacity for conditioning and building muscle really increases in those few years.

I think he was unhappy, feeling stifled, and lost under Gallant.

Not so much bad attitude. But not really having the success he was used to and feeling pressure, and not really getting anything in the way of guidance or help to fix it. 

I guess we’re saying similar things just doing so differently. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah it’s tied in together.

I don’t think he looked out of shape, nor gassed all that much.

I think guys fill out and grow into their frame and get stronger naturally at that age and that’s a big part of things.

Your capacity for conditioning and building muscle really increases in those few years.

I think he was unhappy, feeling stifled, and lost under Gallant.

Not so much bad attitude. But not really having the success he was used to and feeling pressure, and not really getting anything in the way of guidance or help to fix it. 

I guess we’re saying similar things just doing so differently. 

Yep. I put a little more onus on the player because I don't really entirely buy they "he had to grow into his body and this change couldn't have happened sooner" stuff, but I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just skeptical that's all it was.

Just now, Pete said:

Yep. I put a little more onus on the player because I don't really entirely buy they "he had to grow into his body and this change couldn't have happened sooner" stuff, but I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just skeptical that's all it was.

That’s fair.

I don’t think it was an effort thing though.

He’s had a strength coach since he hit puberty. Clearly he takes it seriously. 

I think the issue just didn’t get pinpointed earlier. That’s a part too. Who knows why? 

He needed that to get a program to correct and improve that specific issue.

My overall point is that he wasn’t ready to take the step till the last 12 months.

Brian Boyle said the same last week or week before.

He just wasn’t at the point where he could make that jump.

Physical. Mental. Emotional. Maturity. Just knowing what to do and how. 
Probably a combination. And he needed stuff he wasn’t getting prior.

Your steak isn’t cooked the way you want it cooked until it is. 

A player is ready when he’s ready.

• Like 1

It’s also really damn hard to jump into the NHL at 19 and succeed to a high level quickly.

We look at guys who do, and forget how many guys just don’t. Because they can’t. 
Too much emphasis and expectations get placed there too soon.

Through in all the other circumstances we’ve all mentioned over the previous 3 seasons and it’s not only easy to see why it took the time it did, but it’s very understandable. 

Kakko is coming too. Just gotta maintain course and the patience. 

• Bullseye 1

15 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Also, Panarin.

I mean seriously this is probably the #1 guy in the NHL that you want to put a young offensive star in waiting with.

Yeah. 
But moving him to RW prior, I completely understand why they didn’t do it.

Rookie year, abbreviated schedule, you leave him at LW, behind CK and Panarin and see what happens.

Next season, new HC, you put him with the other 2 kids as a 3rd line, keep the pressure off them, he stays at his natural position and they did ok, and had sone really nice and encouraging moments in the playoffs.

Last season, off of that prior season and playoff run, he left that line together and it was justified. 

Though GG probably should’ve bump him up earlier and for longer looks, it’s whatever.

He was ready this season and Lavy did it and it’s worked. 

57 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah. 
But moving him to RW prior, I completely understand why they didn’t do it.

Rookie year, abbreviated schedule, you leave him at LW, behind CK and Panarin and see what happens.

Next season, new HC, you put him with the other 2 kids as a 3rd line, keep the pressure off them, he stays at his natural position and they did ok, and had sone really nice and encouraging moments in the playoffs.

Last season, off of that prior season and playoff run, he left that line together and it was justified. 

Though GG probably should’ve bump him up earlier and for longer looks, it’s whatever.

He was ready this season and Lavy did it and it’s worked. 

GG constantly shuffled the lines.  Never gave Laf any time to work through a slump.  Lavi left him there all year regardless.  Laf a stretch from about Thanksgiving to February where he only had 3 goals in 31 games.  Lavi didn't waver.   Outside of that stretch Laf paced nearly 40 goals per 82.  Hope Drury can lock him up this season before Laf finds more consistency next year.

• Keeps it 100 1

49 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

GG constantly shuffled the lines.  Never gave Laf any time to work through a slump.  Lavi left him there all year regardless.  Laf a stretch from about Thanksgiving to February where he only had 3 goals in 31 games.  Lavi didn't waver.   Outside of that stretch Laf paced nearly 40 goals per 82.  Hope Drury can lock him up this season before Laf finds more consistency next year.

All fair.

Ive never been a huge fan of shuffling lines if you’re not going to let them sit for a while.

On 4/16/2024 at 8:58 AM, Cash or Czech said:

Laf tied for 14th in the NHL with 26 even strength goals. Tied for 36th with 51 even strength points. 2nd on the rangers for EVG and 3rd for EVP. Not a bad season, kid.

Im gladly eating shit right now. Now go improve on this. 

4 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

That’s coming too.

The finishing skills will only improve.

And it’s hopeful I think he gets more PP time too. 

Yea I dunno how hes going to get more PP time but he def deserves it. Maybe he can elevate Kakko now too.

On 4/18/2024 at 3:31 PM, Long live the King said:

Yeah but its not the same Laf. Can’t compare Laf of last year to Laf now. 90% its all Laf. 

• Keeps it 100 1

31 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Yeah but its not the same Laf. Can’t compare Laf of last year to Laf now. 90% its all Laf. 

Yup. Gallant never got this Lafreniere. If he did, he wouldn't have been moving him around.

Every time these debates come up, people only look at the players who took a step forward this year to discredit Gallant, and brush aside the ones who weren't as good as they were under Gallant. It's an agenda.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

7 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yup. Gallant never got this Lafreniere. If he did, he wouldn't have been moving him around.

Every time these debates come up, people only look at the players who took a step forward this year to discredit Gallant, and brush aside the ones who weren't as good as they were under Gallant. It's an agenda.

Gallant never got this Lafreniere by his own hand. He stifled creativity, didn't establish roles or in still confidence, and didn't allow continuity. Those are the biggest external factors to Lafreniere's play. The rest was the work Laf put in to improve his skating. 

What's the agenda? To show the Gallant wasn't a good coach? That's been established. There's no more debate about that. Or at least there shouldn't be, there's no lack of evidence.

If anything there's an agenda to defend him, I'm just not sure why. 

Edited by Pete

5 hours ago, siddious said:

Gallant was a terrible coach. Why are we still debating this? 

Chris Kreider and Mika Zibanejad both had career years under GG.  Igor had one of the best years a goalie has had recently also.

Not to push on the point, because I don't think it's going to happen, but if the Rangers are out early this season that would make Laviolette just as bad a coach as GG and we all know Laviolette is not a bad coach.

Edited by Br4d