• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lafrenière Re-Re-Reset: 2023–24 Edition

RichieNextel305

Just now, RangersIn7 said:

He just needs to make a few small changes to his approach… I.e. shooting more… abd have a few go in. 

The narrative that he’s a disaster or a bad hockey player or what have you, while there’s some truth there… it’s actually wrong.

He does so much well.

The only thing that hasn’t kicked in is the scoring/offensive production. 
But he’s playing well

It will come 

The problem Kakko has in a nutshell is that all his tools don't amount to any quality chances at all.  He's got great equilibrium, he's a sturdy skater, he can control the puck and maintain possession, and none of that matters because he's always in a phonebooth with the puck while he's doing it and the end result is another missed opportunity.

The defense is good and he has value right now as a checking forward but Jimmy Vesey is twice the offensive player he is because Vesey shows up in front of the net and makes plays when they are there to be made.

There has to be a way to unlock this for Kakko but I don't see it right now.

• Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The problem Kakko has in a nutshell is that all his tools don't amount to any quality chances at all.  He's got great equilibrium, he's a sturdy skater, he can control the puck and maintain possession, and none of that matters because he's always in a phonebooth with the puck while he's doing it and the end result is another missed opportunity.

The defense is good and he has value right now as a checking forward but Jimmy Vesey is twice the offensive player he is because Vesey shows up in front of the net and makes plays when they are there to be made.

Try him with Trochek and Cuylle consistently when Chytil gets back and see what happens.

Or maybe with some PP time as the bumper.

Who knows?

But his game is there.

• Like 1

This team creates so many chances but we are almost universally bad at finishing them.  If we ever had a true sniper on the team he might get 60 goals.  Laffy is one of the worst finishers on the team and it seems like he sees enough chances to get a hattrick every game. 

She keeps spreading her legs for you kid but sooner or later you need to bury it if you wanna be a real stud.

Edited by Kick save and a beauty

I don't think linemates is going to solve the Kakko riddle.  He's too self-contained as it is.

I think he's either going to have to change something in his playstyle or potentially change positions to get things fully unlocked.

Given his strengths and weaknesses you really want him to be closer to the crease on most plays.  That's where his ability to control the puck might lead to more shots and better opportunities.  I think you really want him behind the net not in the corner.

8 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Try him with Trochek and Cuylle consistently when Chytil gets back and see what happens.

Or maybe with some PP time as the bumper.

Who knows?

But his game is there.

I don’t think Kakko’s problem is a linemate problem, but there’s no question if someone were going to get him going it’ll be the guy who always has. That’s Chytil. We need him back.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Bullseye 1

36 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I don't think linemates is going to solve the Kakko riddle.  He's too self-contained as it is.

I think he's either going to have to change something in his playstyle or potentially change positions to get things fully unlocked.

Given his strengths and weaknesses you really want him to be closer to the crease on most plays.  That's where his ability to control the puck might lead to more shots and better opportunities.  I think you really want him behind the net not in the corner.

I am not sure he has it in him but Kakko needs to develop a mean streak to match his physical size.  That and stop worrying about scoring goals since the whole worrying thing seems to have made the problem worse IMO.

Maybe he needs to be a healthy scratch for a few games

Edited by Kick save and a beauty

27 minutes ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

I am not sure he has it in him but Kakko needs to develop a mean streak to match his physical size.  That and stop worrying about scoring goals since the whole worrying thing seems to have made the problem worse IMO.

Maybe he needs to be a healthy scratch for a few games

Kakko’s a pussy. There’s no mean streak to be had. Not a chance

They have to teach him how to PK and block shots. Otherwise he’s a waste of a roster spot right now. 

some of you are saying he has to bury his chances or shoot more, but he’s never in a position to shoot and he doesn’t get chances.  He takes the puck, makes a few turns and then loses it. There’s nothing else that he does, and it’s the same thing every shift 

9 hours ago, Br4d said:

I'm very down on Kakko,  but it seems like they are coaching him into a different direction since being put on the 3rd line.

He has actually been doing a lot of stuff infront of the net and isn't really carrying the puck as much. It's as if they are trying to simplify his game. Maybe thinking his big frame can clean up rebounds in front of the net. I see him down low and a bit more stationary lately as opposed to stick handling all over the ice and never into a scoring position.  Oddly I see him more often on the left wing side of the ice. 

I think the staff is working on/with him. Maybe a reinventing of his game. Not sure I agree with it, but what he's been doing up to this point, really isn't working. So, something is better than nothing. 

20 hours ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

This team creates so many chances but we are almost universally bad at finishing them.  If we ever had a true sniper on the team he might get 60 goals.  Laffy is one of the worst finishers on the team and it seems like he sees enough chances to get a hattrick every game. 

She keeps spreading her legs for you kid but sooner or later you need to bury it if you wanna be a real stud.

I don't think he likes the fishy smell

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Still playing well but since his 2 goal game against Columbus 1 goal and 4 assists in 15 games while Trocheck and Panarin keep scoring points.  

A lot of great opportunities as well, snake bit quite a few times.