• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lafrenière Re-Re-Reset: 2023–24 Edition

RichieNextel305

We've all read about the practices this year in comparison; Laf didn't motivate himself the last couple of years so a new coach came in and force fed everyone to get in shape and play for one another. It isn't a coincidence; kid just needed to be motivated from an external source and force him to do the things he obviously wasn't disciplined enough to do himself. He needed guidance and found it. And the rest of us get to enjoy watching it. Way to go NYR; invest in your draft picks and bare the fruit when they produce. 

Didn't Drury say last year or in the offseason that they realized/admitted that they kind of fucked up with developing these guys properly? I thought it was something along those lines, where they'd put more focus into being better about putting them in a position to succeed and just helping them become better players in general.

23 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Didn't Drury say last year or in the offseason that they realized/admitted that they kind of fucked up with developing these guys properly? I thought it was something along those lines, where they'd put more focus into being better about putting them in a position to succeed and just helping them become better players in general.

Someone link me if he said this because I don’t remember it at all and I’d like to see it for myself 

37 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I don't know that Drury ever admitted it, but Vince reported in camp that it's his belief the organization is well aware of the mistakes they've made with rushing players and that there's a new push/mandate to get players through the AHL going forward.

I know he talked about it on a podcast and had at least one article about it, just can't find it at the moment.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Worked for Cuylle. Kid looks like he can eventually be a 20-20 middle-6 guy. Especially if his points stop getting cancelled out by Toronto.

I'm still pissed at that!  This kid's been busting his hump, and even though he's been doing fantastic, I wish he would be rewarded with something other than referee bullshit.

Even guys that never complain about refs, did last night.  Those 2 with orange stripes should be reffing in the Pee Wee's.

9 hours ago, Br4d said:

He's still game to game in my opinion although the last couple of games have been great.

As long as he is flying he's flying but when he's not you notice that also and the cold streaks definitely affect him.

I've had the feeling since watching all the tape on him over the summer that he might be on the spectrum albeit not far out on the edges.  When he was playing really well in Junior he was often standing off on the side during the celebrations not really joining in with his teammates after a goal, even one he was responsible for.  You can see a bit of this this season if you're watching although Panarin is making a huge effort to recognize him after goals and get in for a celebration.

Then you have the obvious sweats that happen when he is being interviewed by a lot of people and somebody won't let go of a question when he thinks it has been handled.  He hides more than any other player who is getting real media time right now.  You can see him looking off to the side and fiddling with his nose a lot.  These are classic signs of discomfort in forced social situations.

What I'm trying to say is that the spotlight is not something he has been all that comfortable with and maybe that should be taken into account because the spotlight is only going to get bigger from here unless he slumps again which will bring another type of discomfort.

Not gonna lie, a few times I thought something was up, but chalk it up to possibly just being less mature than even his young age. Whatever his story is, he’s likely a good dude and I’m so happy he’s flying this years start to lighten the pressures I’m sure have built up.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I'm still pissed at that!  This kid's been busting his hump, and even though he's been doing fantastic, I wish he would be rewarded with something other than referee bullshit.

Even guys that never complain about refs, did last night.  Those 2 with orange stripes should be reffing in the Pee Wee's.

I think Cuylle is going to be a top 6 LW.  He's got the body and the presence and he's only going to grow into the role as he gets more ice time in big spots.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Yep. The 2 goals taken away (last night and in Edmonton) were blatant misses by the officials and league, who have way too many gray areas when it comes to what is and isn’t a goal.

50 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I think Cuylle is going to be a top 6 LW.  He's got the body and the presence and he's only going to grow into the role as he gets more ice time in big spots.

I'm trying to temper my expectations but have acknowledged that this could be the ceiling.....and that's damn exciting.

• Like 1

If there's anything/anyone he should be in spite of, it's himself. The Rangers have given plenty of opportunities to succeed, and he just wasn't bringing it. Sure, maybe they could have done some things better, but it's not like they haven't put him in positions to succeed before. Not only was he not producing, he barely looked like an NHL player.

• ALEXIS! 1

5 hours ago, torontonyr said:

As happy as I am for his coming out season, I get this sneaking suspicion he's doing it out of spite following a disappointing contract year. Whatever works, but I worry he will bounce for Montreal or another team asap.

well if he plays the season out at this level, the rangers will have to consider a long-term extension going into next season. if the dollars are right he'd be taking a big risk not signing.

56 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

well if he plays the season out at this level, the rangers will have to consider a long-term extension going into next season. if the dollars are right he'd be taking a big risk not signing.

If he goes for 40 goals and a point a game the Rangers have to extend him after this season.

7 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

he's just a kid trying to find his game and be successful.  There's no master plan. 

I'm not trying to assume there's a master plan, but I can totally see him looking back at the contract and his treatment by the fans and having a chip on his shoulder 

24 minutes ago, torontonyr said:

I'm not trying to assume there's a master plan, but I can totally see him looking back at the contract and his treatment by the fans and having a chip on his shoulder 

Is they're a sticker on that chip that says "I should have played better and none of this would have happened"? 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

But that's not going to happen so they don't have to worry about it. 

I don't know.  He does have 5 points in the last 2 games after having 6 points in the first 12.

I think he's 50/50 to go .5 goals and 1 point a game at this point.

Is it quite possible that he's just a 1st overall pick that's taken longer to develop and finally is? Not spectrums, or looking to bounce for Montreal, or has anything wrong with him, or hates the organization, or whatever. 

Just think, he still has a whole rest of this season and next year too for development even more and turn himself into the player we hoped he would be. Perfect time too with the cap going up so we will perfectly know whether we will be throwing a boat load of money at him or not. 

just let the kid play and not worry about all this other BS. 

• Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 1