• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lafrenière Re-Re-Reset: 2023–24 Edition

RichieNextel305

1 minute ago, mbob said:

Couldn’t agree more. If the kid is our future I want him at his best thus my previous LW stack and poor construction comment.  I can’t make out the lines when I move him back over lol. 

Same problem here.  I don't know what the answer is.  It's the same problem the Rangers have had since they drafted him. 

I see nothing wrong with Lafrenière besides production at the moment . Maybe he's lost a step or is getting too comfortable? 

He's consistently involved with the offense and isn't coughing up the puck. I don't see an issue.  Leave him be. 

Panarin/Trocheck seems to have become the new Kreider/Zibanejad bromance. They seem to be concentrating on feeding each other, with Lafrenière as an afterthought of some kind. That hasn't made Lafrenière not try though. He's always down low and dies set up his linemates with some good opportunities. 

IMO, he's better as a RW. His skills seem to shine through when he's on the right. His passes are better, his thought process is faster, his shot is better... These are things that were missing prior to this season and prior to the switch to the right. 

Edited by The Dude

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

I hate Laf at RW and I suspect he hates RW also.

His great passes go left to right and that backhand on the move from the right side isn't terrible but it doesn't get to it's target very often either.

He's on the RW because the Rangers have no RW's and too many LW's.  That's a terrible reason to have him there.

He's playing his best hockey of his pro career. Why do you hate him on the right? Why would you think he hates it there? Everyone is off his back and people are talking him back up from the bust talk. 

He's not going to be a superstar.  He looks extremely serviceable as a top 6 forward though. This couldn't be said when he was a LW. 

If this is a byproduct of Panarin or not, I really don't care. Leave him be. Don't disrupt the leaps he has taken in this process. He's pretty good right now. Let him glow until he doesn't. If the Rangers can ride with Kreider and Zibanejad as a combo for 5 years, why the hell not Panarin/Lafrenière? 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

Early on the Panarin/Lafreniere combo was fresh and good.  Lately it looks a lot like Laffy is deferring too much to Panarin.

I'm not getting how people think these guys are robots and they will play at the same pace all season.

It's a small rut and it's really not affecting his play. He's still busting his ass and is putting in the work. The results aren't going to be automatic. The Rangers are going to switch up the plays. They aren’t going to go out there every shift and do the same thing. They certainly aren't going to score on every attempt. 

I shit on Lafrenière for years because of his lack of effort and commitment. I like production,  but I also like seeing quality chances generated.  They're getting shots off. They're working defenders into the ground. The constant pressure is something that always gets overlooked and discounted. 

I mean look at their 4th line. Its nothing special,  but they are able to pin teams in their own zone and wear them down. It's part of the puzzle. It needs to be done. 

When a line doesn't constantly generate quality chances,  that's when you get concerned.  It's not like they are flat and not keeping defenders on their heels. 

Relax. This isn't EA sports. They're not going to score on every shot. They're not going to do the same play over and over. Let him defer to the hottest player in the game right now. As long as he's not doing that damn curl along the boards upon entry like years past, IDGAF if he's trying to feed the hot hand in many different ways. 

On 12/14/2023 at 11:04 AM, Pete said:

Almost every major player in the league is streaky as fuck. There are maybe 4-5 that are going to get you a point, nightly...2 are in Edmonton. 2 in Pitt. 1 in Tampa.

If you watched 82 Panther games you'd have similar complaints about Tkachuk, Barkov, etc.

I’m not saying they have to score every game but they all seem to go on these stretches when they don’t score for a while and the team sucks. Then one of them gets hot again and suddenly the team looks good. 

in panarins case specifically when he’s not scoring he’s not doing much else. 

Maybe streaky isn’t the right word. Maybe it’s a depth scoring issue. If it ain’t panarin and zib it’s no one. 

5 minutes ago, Valriera said:

He was fine tonight, not so much before tonight 

He was ok tonight but I don't think he was fine.

He's been losing the puck a lot more lately.  It's like he's a little bit slower and people are getting their sticks out and disrupting him easier than they were early in the season.

Maybe it's just the book on him now.  Press him hard and he'll lose the puck.

I feel like the only real difference is pucks that went in for him during his hot start aren’t at the moment. That is likely to revert to some form of median over the season. 
I thought he was visible and involved. No real issues with him at the moment bar end product.

• Keeps it 100 2

He was good last night. 

Unless you're moving him to Zib's line, it would be the worst possible time to shuffle him. It would send a terrible message that production outweighs playing the right way. He's playing good hockey, leave him be.  

• Bullseye 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Keeps it 100 2

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

He was good last night. 

Unless you're moving him to Zib's line, it would be the worst possible time to shuffle him. It would send a terrible message that production outweighs playing the right way. He's playing good hockey, leave him be.  

Yeah.

Leave them alone. 

That whole line has been good. Whether it was Chytil or now Tro in the middle.

Dont screw with that.

• Keeps it 100 1

23 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah.

Leave them alone. 

That whole line has been good. Whether it was Chytil or now Tro in the middle.

Dont screw with that.

Nailed it. Lines will go through ebs and flows. They are still playing excellent hockey together. 

57 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Nailed it. Lines will go through ebs and flows. They are still playing excellent hockey together. 

The whole team is going through the proverbial ebb and flow right now

Yet they’ve now won back to back games off of losing 3 of 4, and sit atop the division.

All while not at full strength and not playing their best hockey.

All good things 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

The whole team is going through the proverbial ebb and flow right now

Yet they’ve now won back to back games off of losing 3 of 4, and sit atop the division.

All while not at full strength and not playing their best hockey.

All good things 

After New Year, we have to also flip the page from "They haven't played their best hockey, they haven't hit their stride" to "when are they going to hit their stride? It's halfway through the season and there's still plenty to clean up...." 

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

After New Year, we have to also flip the page from "They haven't played their best hockey, they haven't hit their stride" to "when are they going to hit their stride? It's halfway through the season and there's still plenty to clean up...." 

I agree.

January and February should be heavily progressing in that direction.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I mean they started out the gate pretty well and I'd say at 21-7-1, how can anyone say they haven't hit their stride? They have battled most nights and had more comeback wins then any recent Ranger team (not an official stat, but from memory). They are never going to win out a whole season. I think all in all, this product is officially the best we could ask for with what we knew we had, #2 in the league and have beat #3 twice recently. All of this with SIGNIFICANT injuries up and down the lineup.

1 G in 15 games isn't a small sample though. He's had chances, it's bad puck luck, he looks better, sure.  1 in 15 is bad for a big stretch for a team going into last night tied with 2 other teams for 2nd from the worst in the league in 5x5 G's. You could just as easily say shit he was being carried by Panarin and Tro since day one. Not saying either one is the sole issue imo. The longer it goes on without some consistent production the bigger the issue becomes. Continuing to be crap @ 5x5 leads to a fun regular season and odds of coming up short in the end. Also see: Another year of overpassing.

Of course they're being carried by being 2nd in the league in PP goals, again. We can also start other threads to say whatabout this other guy....but this one is Lafs.

Let's go kid it looks like you did the work, now get back to finishing the chances.

2 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

I mean they started out the gate pretty well and I'd say at 21-7-1, how can anyone say they haven't hit their stride? They have battled most nights and had more comeback wins then any recent Ranger team (not an official stat, but from memory). They are never going to win out a whole season. I think all in all, this product is officially the best we could ask for with what we knew we had, #2 in the league and have beat #3 twice recently. All of this with SIGNIFICANT injuries up and down the lineup.

You can't always pay attention to the record, and I was always saying it during the GG era.

They still need to improve their five on five scoring. Also, even a lot of the players like Miller admitted that they could be playing better.

The headline is that they are inconsistent despite the record. They need to be consistent in their effort. 

Sometimes it's not always about production.  The line itself is producing. It's sustaining tons of pressure and getting lots of chances.  Lafrenière is apart of all of what is good about that line. He's not an issue what so ever. Much like Wheeler isn't a problem on line 1. It's working. Leave it be and it will only improve.   

A lot of us gave Kakko a pass for playing the right way and showing improvement despite the lack of production.  Lafrenière is mostly doing everything we wanted. I'd rather he play better hockey than put up the empty stats like he did in the past.

This is stuff I mentioned last year. He lead the team in ES goals last year, but played dogshit hockey.  He wasn't good. He's good NOW and may still only put up mediocre 3rd liner type of point totals... But he's playing better. This version of Lafrenière is what we want.  He's very, very serviceable right now.

Oh course I want him scoring more, but it isn't an issue I want to make a big deal about. If he was doing absolutely nothing,  I'd have an issue.  He's not a sinking anchor. 

Then again I did see him do his pussy bitch curl along the boards upon entry move 2 games ago..  

Fuck it.   Trade him .