• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 Reports From the Rink

siddious

On 4/19/2024 at 3:59 PM, Ozzy said:

at Ping Pong, maybe  😉

I mean,  have you seen the comparison in playoff production?  Wheeler has good numbers (45 points in 65 games).  Roslovic. Not so much. Like at all. As in no goals 5 assists in 20 games. 

14 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I mean,  have you seen the comparison in playoff production?  Wheeler has good numbers (45 points in 65 games).  Roslovic. Not so much. Like at all. As in no goals 5 assists in 20 games. 

One guy has their playoff career behind them and the other has their playoff career in front of them. 

There's no point in even comparing. 

That said, there might be some situations where it behooves the team to dress Wheeler. There are some teams that might be heavier versus faster, you might want that big body in there. 

But they are two different players, and the fact of the matter is that Roslovic pushes the pace of play and is way more dynamic than Wheeler. Wheeler is safe and reliable but doesn't plus up the team at all. He doesn't help you and barely hurts you. 

Just to bring up a little ranger history, Nick Fitou you all know played for the Rangers.  I did not know he was a golden glove boxer. It’s supposedly why people never messed with him in the NHL. I understand Fitou gave an interview, not too long ago and said Rempe is not fighting the correct way. He needs to stop putting both hands on the guys chest and put one arm out and then throw punches. Fitou is also quoted as saying he would love to teach Rempe a few pointers on how to fight better. Thought that was pretty interesting.
Let’s go Rangers. 

• Phil unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Elite company.

Thank god Gorton re-signed him instead of listening to (almost) all fans that wanted him traded. I was one of them and I'm happily eating crow now.

Yeah I remember being in the trade Kreider boat given where the team was at, but the train of thought leading up to it was that he was going to get mid-7s on a long term extension. I think pretty much everyone was a bit surprised to see the 6.5 per, and that was before he became one of the best bonafide first line goal scoring wingers in the league. He’s been performing at roughly a $9m pay rate for 3 years now. Incredible.

It must be tough to stand Kreids and Lafreniere, since Kreider is pretty much the main reason Lafreniere hasn't gotten the prime ice time and PP time other #1 picks get.

Can't have it both ways (if anyone is among the "team messed up Lafreniere development" crowd.

I wasn't mad they signed him to that deal, but I wasn't too thrilled with it, either. I was just kind of like, 'okay, fine' about it. It's really turned out to be an excellent deal, though. I think he has gotten better with age, but the big reason is that he's just playing with better players, playing with guys who shoot more. Having guys like Mika, Panarin and Fox out there is a little different than, like, Callahan and Dubinsky. lol

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

It must be tough to stand Kreids and Lafreniere, since Kreider is pretty much the main reason Lafreniere hasn't gotten the prime ice time and PP time other #1 picks get.

Can't have it both ways (if anyone is among the "team messed up Lafreniere development" crowd.

I clearly remember you saying numerous times that we don't gift players ice-time, they have to earn it. Guess what - Kreider has earned both the ice-time, the PP time AND the PK time because he's been amazing for three years now.

Lafreniere had his first good season this year, playing with Panarin. He hasn't deserved anything before this season and we're not breaking up a top 3 PP in league to shoehorn in a guy that has 57 points as a career high. And even if they were to do that Kreider would probably be the last option to take out. He's the one with a unique skillset on the PP. Fox. Mika, Panarin and Trocheck pretty much plays the same way.

• Keeps it 100 2

17 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yeah I remember being in the trade Kreider boat given where the team was at, but the train of thought leading up to it was that he was going to get mid-7s on a long term extension. I think pretty much everyone was a bit surprised to see the 6.5 per, and that was before he became one of the best bonafide first line goal scoring wingers in the league. He’s been performing at roughly a $9m pay rate for 3 years now. Incredible.

I wanted him traded because I didn't see them being competitive so fast and I thought Kreider would net a huge return.

I was fine with 6.5m, but didn't like the term.

• Keeps it 100 1

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

Lafreniere’s main problem didn’t have anything to do with opportunity. It is evident that it was pretty solely related to his physical training.

Zibanejad and Panarin block Lafreniere on the PP because those are the positions he would be playing. Kreider blocks…Will Cuylle as a big net front presence I guess? No biggie.

3 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I wanted him traded because I didn't see them being competitive so fast and I thought Kreider would net a huge return.

I wonder what the trade offers were like. I think we all assumed a 1st and a B prospect. So a pick in the 20s and we would have watched Kreider post 40 goals a year elsewhere. That would have been so brutal. Gotta give Gorton some props for sure for that decision. It wasn’t an easy one.

1 hour ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I clearly remember you saying numerous times that we don't gift players ice-time, they have to earn it. Guess what - Kreider has earned both the ice-time, the PP time AND the PK time because he's been amazing for three years now.

Lafreniere had his first good season this year, playing with Panarin. He hasn't deserved anything before this season and we're not breaking up a top 3 PP in league to shoehorn in a guy that has 57 points as a career high. And even if they were to do that Kreider would probably be the last option to take out. He's the one with a unique skillset on the PP. Fox. Mika, Panarin and Trocheck pretty much plays the same way.

I don't know why you're coming at me, oh wait, I do...You're always trying to get me in some "gotcha" moment that doesn't exist.

I doesn't matter what I said about ice time. I'm talking to Laf stans (which I was not) who said the reason he sucked for 3 years was role and no PP time—But a lot of those folks also stan Kreider...So you can't whine about Lafreniere not getting PP time and also be on Krieder's jock...Who was going to take reduced ice time or be taken off the PP for Lafreniere? Wasn't gonna be Panarin.

Can't have it both ways, whine about not giving Laf a larger role and also praise the guy standing in his way.

1 hour ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

This is how almost everybody felt, myself included.

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Lafreniere’s main problem didn’t have anything to do with opportunity. It is evident that it was pretty solely related to his physical training.

Well you spent a large amount of time arguing otherwise.

Zibanejad and Panarin block Lafreniere on the PP because those are the positions he would be playing. Kreider blocks…Will Cuylle as a big net front presence I guess? No biggie.

No they don't. Maybe Panarin but not Zib. Left handed shots on the left half wall aren't much of a thing if you look at other successful PPs. They want one-timers.

Edited by Pete

34 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't know why you're coming at me, oh wait, I do...You're always trying to get me in some "gotcha" moment that doesn't exist.

I doesn't matter what I said about ice time. I'm talking to Laf stans (which I was not) who said the reason he sucked for 3 years was role and no PP time—But a lot of those folks also stan Kreider...So you can't whine about Lafreniere not getting PP time and also be on Krieder's jock...Who was going to take reduced ice time or be taken off the PP for Lafreniere? Wasn't gonna be Panarin.

I'm "coming at you" because the Kreider hate is starting to get ridiculous. 3-4 years ago it was warranted when you complained about his lack of consistency, but now it makes no sense. He's been great for 3 years, yet you take every chance you get to put him down or say some shit about him.

What was even the point about that comment you made? I would think a Laf and Kreider stan actually loves it right now. They're both playing amazing and helps the team every night. I don't see why, especially as a Rangers fan as well, it would be tough to support those two players. What must be tough is being Kreider's biggest hater over the last 3 years. That must've sucked.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Well you spent a large amount of time arguing otherwise.

No they don't. Maybe Panarin but not Zib. Left handed shots on the left half wall aren't much of a thing if you look at other successful PPs. They want one-timers.

Well you’re just wrong on both accounts here.

There are plenty of examples, but the premise you started with that Kreider’s position on the PP has anything to do with Lafreniere is honestly just nuts. I don’t know of any teams who put their first overall picks in front of the net on the PP, in a position where the puck isn’t on their stick to create chances and take shots.