• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Should the Rangers Consider Trading K'Andre Miller?

jsm7302
Message added by Phil,

Notice: this thread is being broken out from a separate thread because it warrants its own discussion. Forgive the lack of clarity in the OP.

2 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Perhaps for the Leafs.  His bedroom collection of Leafs' memorabilia apparently put John Tavares's pajamas to shame.

Modest prediction: greatest player in history not to win the cup.

^^ travesty......

He can hang with Lundquist.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

15 unanswered goals. 6-0 and 7-0 shutouts. Let’s shuffle the lines!

I think we found Gallant’s burner

Only Brooksie would look at a game where the Preds were missing 6 regulars, plus whomever they traded, and say "That's the formula!!"

But you also think Chytil is a p/g player...so...yea.

Edited by Pete

1 minute ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

@Pete @BrooksBurner Honestly I think you're both right.  I agree with Pete that you probably shouldn't(I won't say can't) go off these last two games.  But I also agree with Brooks that you you shouldn't change anything until it doesn't work.

I’m ok with this as long as I’m righter, which I am. Eat it GG

• LMFAO 1

24 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

@Pete @BrooksBurner Honestly I think you're both right.  I agree with Pete that you probably shouldn't(I won't say can't) go off these last two games.  But I also agree with Brooks that you you shouldn't change anything until it doesn't work.

I wouldn't change it now, either. But there's going to be a point where you're not facing AHL level competition and that ice cold kid line is gonna get exposed, as will the complete lack of chemistry between Kane and his linemates.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

I wouldn't change it now, either. But there's going to be a point where you're not facing AHL level competition and that ice cold kid line is gonna get exposed, as will the complete lack of chemistry between Kane and his linemates.

i'm a big proponent of:

kreider-Mika-Kane 

panarin-tro-tarasenko

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I think you missed some of the passes Kane made to his linemates during the game you attended. His lead passes to the doorstep are perfect for 2 guys who will go to the net consistently with and without the puck. 

But yeah, the Kidline has definitely lost its buzz. Kakko is looking tired and isn't creating any chances these days.  Chytil was looking very unconfident up until last night. Talk about a fragile ego. Guy gets robbed a few times a month ago and his wheels fall of. Lafrenière.. meh. He's doing well on the PP by being a net front presence.  

2 hours ago, Jdog99 said:

i'm a big proponent of:

kreider-Mika-Kane 

panarin-tro-tarasenko

Say no to Tro and Panarin. It hasn't worked all season. Like.... at all. Trocheck has done his best to be the player we thought the Rangers signed, when he plays with Kreider. Kreider also plays more like the Kreider we want to see, when he's with Trocheck. That combo needs to stay together. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

I think you missed some of the passes Kane made to his linemates during the game you attended. His lead passes to the doorstep are perfect for 2 guys who will go to the net consistently with and without the puck. 

But yeah, the Kidline has definitely lost its buzz. Kakko is looking tired and isn't creating any chances these days.  Chytil was looking very unconfident up until last night. Talk about a fragile ego. Guy gets robbed a few times a month ago and his wheels fall of. Lafrenière.. meh. He's doing well on the PP by being a net front presence.  

Nah. I didn't miss anything. There's one line firing right now. Zibenejad. And it's mostly due to... Zibenejad and Tarasenko. 

16 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

15 unanswered goals. 6-0 and 7-0 shutouts. Let’s shuffle the lines!

I think we found Gallant’s burner

GG has two things to work with: his personality and the boyz.

So when he's losing what he goes to is the boyz, making switches to shake things up and hopefully get the train back on the tracks.  The thing that lets him do that consistently without offending the boyz is his personality.  The boyz love playing for him because he lets them go out on the ice and do their thing.

If he had a system there would be a lot less of the switcheroo going on because he'd be spending time, particularly with the younger players, making sure they had the system down.

I don't really know whether his emphasis on the boyz is helpful or harmful over the course of the season.  They definitely like him more than they would if he was drilling them all the time on the same system.  However late in the season it is easy to see where he could switch things up once too often and have people dragging around as a result.  It's actually work to acclimate to new linemates and get everything down and when you do that and then a switch happens it can probably be demoralizing.

The Rangers did go on a nice long run last year into June of all places.  If they do that again I think we might have to give GG some credit for not putting a system out there that other teams can dissect and try to take down.

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

GG has two things to work with: his personality and the boyz.

So when he's losing what he goes to is the boyz, making switches to shake things up and hopefully get the train back on the tracks.  The thing that lets him do that consistently without offending the boyz is his personality.  The boyz love playing for him because he lets them go out on the ice and do their thing.

If he had a system there would be a lot less of the switcheroo going on because he'd be spending time, particularly with the younger players, making sure they had the system down.

I don't really know whether his emphasis on the boyz is helpful or harmful over the course of the season.  They definitely like him more than they would if he was drilling them all the time on the same system.  However late in the season it is easy to see where he could switch things up once too often and have people dragging around as a result.  It's actually work to acclimate to new linemates and get everything down and when you do that and then a switch happens it can probably be demoralizing.

The Rangers did go on a nice long run last year into June of all places.  If they do that again I think we might have to give GG some credit for not putting a system out there that other teams can dissect and try to take down.

That's certainly the most delicious whipped cream I've ever seen on a shit Sundae. 

They went on a run because Trouba concussed 2 guys and Carolina's goalies got hurt. It had nothing to do with GG. At all. Crosby was single-handedly dismantling them. 

I know this place has some wild takes, but when we're giving a Coach credit for not coaching, now I've seen everything. 

Edited by Pete

41 minutes ago, Pete said:

That's certainly the most delicious whipped cream I've ever seen on a shit Sundae. 

They went on a run because Trouba concussed 2 guys and Carolina's goalies got hurt. It had nothing to do with GG. At all. Crosby was single-handedly dismantling them. 

I know this place has some wild takes, but when we're giving a Coach credit for not coaching, now I've seen everything. 

I'm willing to accept a few things right now as general limits for our potential:

1 - Gallant is a player's coach to the point that he either lacks tactical knowledge or doesn't want to hurt a player's feelings by making a tactical change. He hired assistants like him such that the lack of tactical thinking is likely detrimental to the team. Speculation here, but I'd imagine having guys like Kane and Trouba around matters more than it should because they're actually smart hockey thinkers and want to win - they lead on-ice and on the bench in ways Gallant just can't or won't.  

2 - Chris Drury has made moves so that it should be impossible for Gallant to fuck up the tactics unless he screws up the time balance of our lines or just randomly decides that a bottom 6/bottom pair D is a top-line guy. He's a player's coach, so that's unlikely.

3 -  Right now, this version of the Rangers looks like it's buzzing, and regardless of their current situations, blanking the Penguins and Predators a combined 13-0 is a pair of big wins.

4 - Our division is Thunderdome and our conference is the eighth circle of hell. If this was the Minnesota Wild or the Seattle Kraken, I'd be fully confident we're going to the finals. That the path to the finals runs through Carolina, NJ, and then one of Boston/Tampa/Toronto (okay, maybe not Toronto) - that's a real limiter to me.

5 - This team is going to get stress tested in the next 10 days, and how we deal with a home-and-home with the Canes, a trip to Sunrise, a classic trap game, and then a showdown with the Devils will influence how I think about this team far, far more than beating on the Penguins and Predators ever will.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

21 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I'm willing to accept a few things right now as general limits for our potential:

1 - Gallant is a player's coach to the point that he either lacks tactical knowledge or doesn't want to hurt a player's feelings by making a tactical change. He hired assistants like him such that the lack of tactical thinking is likely detrimental to the team. Speculation here, but I'd imagine having guys like Kane and Trouba around matters more than it should because they're actually smart hockey thinkers and want to win - they lead on-ice and on the bench in ways Gallant just can't or won't.  

2 - Chris Drury has made moves so that it should be impossible for Gallant to fuck up the tactics unless he screws up the time balance of our lines or just randomly decides that a bottom 6/bottom pair D is a top-line guy. He's a player's coach, so that's unlikely.

3 -  Right now, this version of the Rangers looks like it's buzzing, and regardless of their current situations, blanking the Penguins and Predators a combined 13-0 is a pair of big wins.

4 - Our division is Thunderdome and our conference is the eighth circle of hell. If this was the Minnesota Wild or the Seattle Kraken, I'd be fully confident we're going to the finals. That the path to the finals runs through Carolina, NJ, and then one of Boston/Tampa/Toronto (okay, maybe not Toronto) - that's a real limiter to me.

5 - This team is going to get stress tested in the next 10 days, and how we deal with a home-and-home with the Canes, a trip to Sunrise, a classic trap game, and then a showdown with the Devils will influence how I think about this team far, far more than beating on the Penguins and Predators ever will.

Before I go and read this entire post, does it have anything to do with what I said? Because a quick skin of the first sentence of each bullet says no...: 😂

17 hours ago, The Dude said:

Say no to Tro and Panarin. It hasn't worked all season. Like.... at all. Trocheck has done his best to be the player we thought the Rangers signed, when he plays with Kreider. Kreider also plays more like the Kreider we want to see, when he's with Trocheck. That combo needs to stay together. 

didn't we actually see the panarin-tro-tarasenko line combo for a bit? i thought they had at least one game where they ripped off a bunch of points.

i mean look - if the kind of production were seeing these last two games continues...forget it...maybe we struck gold with the current line combos. but if we hit a dry spell, i think the simplest change that could have the biggest impact is flipping tro and zib.

5 hours ago, Pete said:

well, maybe 'credit' is the wrong word...but i think its very possible that 'not coaching' (GG) can sometimes have better results than 'over coaching' (Quinn, Vignealt, torts).

47 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

well, maybe 'credit' is the wrong word...but i think its very possible that 'not coaching' (GG) can sometimes have better results than 'over coaching' (Quinn, Vignealt, torts).

A lot of the star players on this team had career years under Quinn.

You simply can't free-ball it all the time. Knowing where other players are going to be, or should be, helps a ton when you don't have a lot of time and space. There have been several noticeable plays where there were egregious giveaways because (for example) a defenseman got pressured and tried to push the puck to a winger who wasn't there, puck was turned over, and everyone blew coverage because no one knew where to be.

Here's one that sticks out in my mind:

Key lays the puck up the boards expecting a winger there, but Trocheck is coasting in. No one goes to Raymond, Kravtsov has no  idea where to be, neither does Trouba. It's a joke. That's more than a breakdown by one player. That's a collective "We have no clue where we should go, or where the puck should go".

• Keeps it 100 1

54 minutes ago, Pete said:

You simply can't free-ball it all the time. Knowing where other players are going to be, or should be, helps a ton when you don't have a lot of time and space. There have been several noticeable plays where there were egregious giveaways because (for example) a defenseman got pressured and tried to push the puck to a winger who wasn't there, puck was turned over, and everyone blew coverage because no one knew where to be.

Key lays the puck up the boards expecting a winger there, but Trocheck is coasting in. No one goes to Raymond, Kravtsov has no  idea where to be, neither does Trouba. It's a joke. That's more than a breakdown by one player. That's a collective "We have no clue where we should go, or where the puck should go".

That’s the play where someone tried to blame Panarin 😆

• LMFAO 2

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Key lays the puck up the boards expecting a winger there, but Trocheck is coasting in. No one goes to Raymond, Kravtsov has no 

idea where to be, neither does Trouba. It's a joke. That's more than a breakdown by one player. That's a collective "We have no clue where we should go, or where the puck should go".

I'm certainly underwhelmed by GG's results overall...just saying that there's a separate problem we've seen out of previous coaches where offensive pressue and production gets stifled because players seems to be holding onto thier sticks to tight due to anal retentive coaching.