• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Trade Vitali Kravtsov to Canucks for William Lockwood, 2026 7th Round Pick

Blue Heaven

Guess that Gorton connection is still severed.

I mean an AHL nothing winger and a 7th for a recent top 10 pick?  No conditions to the trade? 

I don't care if the guy shit on the team logo in the locker-room. You have to get more for him or figure a way to keep him to build some kind of value. 

Could they have loaned him to a KHL team to get him off the books? I'd rather they waived him than to get this in return. 

• Bullseye 1

Not sure how you get more for him, you're (not you personally) saying they haven't been trying or they turned down better deals.  I'll go with there was literally no interest whatsoever which is basically what we've been hearing the last couple of weeks.

15 minutes ago, fletch said:

Perhaps the GM took the best offer available in preparation for other planned moves.  My point is to at least wait to judge the GMs moves until after the trade deadline.  I'd argue that we should wait to see whether the Rangers make a deep run in the playoffs or not to see whether the rentals were worth it.  But that's a pretty boring take, isn't it?

He did, obviously. My comment is geared towards the whole situation in general. Rather than in regards to the deadline.

inhave no other issue with what drury has done. Although if I’m being honest mikkola has been trash so far.

25 minutes ago, siddious said:

He did, obviously. My comment is geared towards the whole situation in general. Rather than in regards to the deadline.

inhave no other issue with what drury has done. Although if I’m being honest mikkola has been trash so far.

Agreed, but at least he was able to get him early enough to determine that he still needs a guy at the deadline. 

Drury's been really good since the Buch trade. Way more wins than loses. 

• Bullseye 1

30 minutes ago, siddious said:

Right, so I'll make some general comments to follow up on what you wrote.  My comments are not directed at you, but comments about the thread topic in general.

The goal isn't to win every trade and have every draft pick pan out.  The goal is to put together a roster that can make a run at the Cup.  Since only 1 team can win each year, the other 31 teams have various levels of disappointment.  And Drury has put us in position to make a deep playoff run, which is all you can ask of the GM.

Was Doug Armstrong (GM Blues) a genius for acquiring O'Reilly and having Binnington in the organization during their Cup run, and now an idiot for where St Louis is in the standings?  Or do some moves work out, and some don't, but we build a narrative around the geniuses that build the Avalanche, Lightning, Penguins, whomever because those teams ending up winning.  Maybe there are some organizations and some GMs that have a little bit of an edge on the rest of the league.  Most probably there's a few terrible orgs, a handful of elite orgs, and a muddle in the middle of orgs that are about the same.

What a weird day to walk down draft memory lane..  You get to watch a recent #9 overall pick get traded for essentially an 8th round pick in a 7 round draft and get to watch another heralded top 10 pick ply his trade for the Capitals, reminding anyone who has ever watched a hockey game that we should have had Vladdy T back in 2010. 

We should probably trade more future picks as a general rule of thumb. Is it better to ask “oh, what if?” than constantly say “oh what the fuck!”

5 hours ago, Tonybologna said:

Good for him, he got a really unfair shake here in NY. From the org, media, fans, and most importantly a shit-for-brains coach. I imagine he'll get some playing time in Vancouver and be worth a bit more than a Lockwood and 7th rounder this time next year.

Two years from now we could be hearing how he's tearing up the league, and how Vancouver stole him from the Rangers for Lockwood and a 7th. I have a feeling this is going to bite Drury in the azz.

4 hours ago, jsrangers said:

Not sure how you get more for him, you're (not you personally) saying they haven't been trying or they turned down better deals.  I'll go with there was literally no interest whatsoever which is basically what we've been hearing the last couple of weeks.

They can hold onto somebody for as long as they want, but if he's not getting consistent ice time, he's not going to increase his draft value.

5 hours ago, siddious said:

I mean ok but that doesn’t change the return for krsvtsov is bad 

It was always going to be bad. You guys need to divorce yourself from his draft position. The rest of the league, the Rangers included, clearly have. His best attribute is "youth."

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

It was always going to be bad. You guys need to divorce yourself from his draft position. The rest of the league, the Rangers included, clearly have. His best attribute is "youth."

And cheap. Dreger mentioned today too there was no market for him. 

Edited by jsrangers

11 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

The league showed the Rangers what they think he's worth. Ouch.

Two things, Rangers didn't handle this situation very well, and Kravtsov's youth (immaturity) didn't help. So they are both to blame. However, since the Rangers thought so highly of him to make him their number one pick, maybe they should have done things a little differently. For one thing, maybe your stupid head coach shouldn't be telling the media that he's not here to develop players. Maybe that's not his job, but is there any reason you need to be saying that to the media? I'm beginning to understand why this guy was let go at his last two jobs.

Unless the Rangers scouting dept is incredibly bad, you don't draft someone with your first pick unless he's talented. Pride on both sides screwed this up, and hopefully both sides learn from this. However, why would the league give up more than they have to, when they know he wants out, and the Rangers want him out? Kravtsov is talented, and if Vancouver handles him a little differently, they may have just stolen him from New York for pennies on the dollar. Drury better hope that's not the case.

4 minutes ago, jamsim1967 said:

Two things, Rangers didn't handle this situation very well, and Kravtsov's youth (immaturity) didn't help. So they are both to blame. However, since the Rangers thought so highly of him to make him their number one pick, maybe they should have done things a little differently. For one thing, maybe your stupid head coach shouldn't be telling the media that he's not here to develop players. Maybe that's not his job, but is there any reason you need to be saying that to the media? I'm beginning to understand why this guy was let go at his last two jobs.

Unless the Rangers scouting dept is incredibly bad, you don't draft someone with your first pick unless he's talented. Pride on both sides screwed this up, and hopefully both sides learn from this. However, why would the league give up more than they have to, when they know he wants out, and the Rangers want him out? Kravtsov is talented, and if Vancouver handles him a little differently, they may have just stolen him from New York for pennies on the dollar. Drury better hope that's not the case.

I still think that’s one of the dumbest things gallant has said (so far). 

he’ll get more of a chance to play in Vancouver. Hard to imagine a scenario where Vancouver doesn’t win this trade. Even if krsvtsov sucks they have basically nothing up for him.

Rangers need to work on developing talent better and communication. It’s been an issue over and over again.

• Bullseye 1

17 hours ago, The Dude said:

Guess that Gorton connection is still severed.

I mean an AHL nothing winger and a 7th for a recent top 10 pick?  No conditions to the trade? 

I don't care if the guy shit on the team logo in the locker-room. You have to get more for him or figure a way to keep him to build some kind of value. 

Could they have loaned him to a KHL team to get him off the books? I'd rather they waived him than to get this in return. 

Kravtsov has been nothing but trouble from a developmental point of view.  That the Rangers held on to him this long was the surprising thing.  He should have been gone early in the season when it became apparent there were no minutes for him and he was not going to accept a move to Hartford.

You can't let a non-productive player hold up your processes the way that Kravtsov did.  At some point you have to part ways and consider it addition by subtraction.

• 2 months later...