• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Call This Man a Cab

Phil

1 hour ago, Dave said:

This team needs an interim head coach until they figure out what they want their long term to look like. 

It ain't this. 

Drury plus Knoblagh. It'll be fine. Conduct proper interviews and figure out the big picture.

Just now, jsrangers said:

Drury would work imo because it instantly puts him on the hotseat, I don't think he should get a free pass by any means. 

Signing Trocheck was fine, but most of his other moves? Not so much. He had a good deadline last year but followed it up with a not so great offseason. The Buchnevich trade was a huge disaster.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, jsrangers said:

Need a passenger van at this point to take some of the dogs too. Imo there's no way this is only his fault. This team had the same flaws last year hidden by a couple of things that were probably never going to happen again. Text book smoke and mirrors. Of course the coach needs to go first because it's the easiest move to make but I don't think it's nearly enough. The rest of the changes are way more difficult to make. If Igor is a mid pack goalie we're gonna need an even bigger boat which makes it even more overwhelming.  Some waist high shit here all around. 

Shesty's fundamentals and technique seem way too strong to actually be a career average goaltender. He could end up not being the second coming of Hank like we all thought or hoped, but also gotta remember how insane Shesty's stats were last year with NO defense and a team that lacked possession most of the time. I think with even the slightest defensive structure he'll be posting shutouts left and right and get back to putting up the stats we expect.

6 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Signing Trocheck was fine, but most of his other moves? Not so much. He had a good deadline last year but followed it up with a not so great offseason. The Buchnevich trade was a huge disaster.

Trocheck is the most over-hyped thing since I Can’t Believe it’s Not Butter - Spray

55 minutes ago, josh said:

Trocheck is the most over-hyped thing since I Can’t Believe it’s Not Butter - Spray

I think he's a good player but totally not fitting in at all on this team.

That said, he's not a big ticket, but MSG sure is pumping his tires. 

Overall, I know why they made the decision they did with Tro, but it's hard to see how he makes them a better team and harder to play against. 

How's it possible that teams tire of this guy so quickly? It's like this everywhere he goes.

I think the players are like teenagers. They don't love rules, but they want to have rules. Players want to play, but they need a system to stick to when they get too loose. 

I've been watching this team for almost 30 years and watching other teams as we were allowed via cable and what not... I've never seen a team so disorganized and with such horrible body language in my life. Not just Rangers, any team. Even shitty teams look like they know that they're trying to do and just can't execute. This team doesn't even know it wants to do.

Miller made a weak ill-advised backhand pass to the middle of the ice which got picked off, and immediately looked up at the rafters as if to say "oh no not again". Zib in the post game has no words. Literally no words at all, it's December 1st and he looks like they just got eliminated from the playoffs. Hard to remember the last time I've seen anybody so shell-shocked so early in the season.

I don't think I'm being an alarmist either, it's bad. It's real bad right now folks. 

Edited by Pete
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

How's it possible that teams tire of this guy so quickly? It's like this everywhere he goes.

I think the players are like teenagers. They don't love rules, but they want to have rules. Players want to play, but they need a system to stick to when they get too loose. 

I've been watching this team for almost 30 years and watching other teams as we were allowed via cable and what not... I've never seen a team so disorganized and with such horrible body language in my life. Not just Rangers, any team. Even shitty teams look like they know that they're trying to do and just can't execute. This team doesn't even know it wants to do.

Miller made a weak ill-advised backhand pass to the middle of the ice which got picked off, and immediately looked up at the rafters as if to say "oh no not again". Zib in the post game has no words. Literally no words at all, it's December 1st and he looks like they just got eliminated from the playoffs. Hard to remember the last time I've seen anybody so shell-shocked so early in the season.

I don't think I'm being an alarmist either, it's bad. It's real bad right now folks. 

These are all true, but I'm not sure what it has to do with the coach. He's not asking Miller to backhand pass across the ice. He's not asking Laf to skate a 2-1 into the corner. He's not asking Igor to make less saves. 

This is the same exact team as last season, minus Ryan Strome and Ryan Reeves. 

What sucks here is that Kakko and Lafreniere simply haven't developed. They've been on every line, they've been given every opportunity (except PP1 - but they are on PP2 which is terrible). 

This team was never going to succeed if Laf and Kakko didn't take a step forward and they haven't. Simple as that. 

No idea who gets the blame for that because they drafted the consensus players. They've "rebuilt" but haven't actually had a home grown player develop into anything except Igor. The organization as a whole feels like a rudderless ship. 

I am not a fan of firing the coach. I think fans who are bought their own hype after a year that was mostly bad, covered up by spectacular goaltending.

Edited by ThirtyONE

10 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

These are all true, but I'm not sure what it has to do with the coach. He's not asking Miller to backhand pass across the ice. He's not asking Laf to skate a 2-1 into the corner. He's not asking Igor to make less saves. 

This is the same exact team as last season, minus Ryan Strome and Ryan Reeves. 

What sucks here is that Kakko and Lafreniere simply haven't developed. They've been on every line, they've been given every opportunity (except PP1 - but they are on PP2 which is terrible). 

This team was never going to succeed if Laf and Kakko didn't take a step forward and they haven't. Simple as that. 

No idea who gets the blame for that because they drafted the consensus players. They've "rebuilt" but haven't actually had a home grown player develop into anything except Igor. The organization as a whole feels like a rudderless ship. 

I am not a fan of firing the coach. I think fans who are bought their own hype after a year that was mostly bad, covered up by spectacular goaltending.

You don't think the team's fragile mental state is on the coach, at all?

Lafreniere and Kakko are only one reason this team is in shambles, it's not the only one though. You don't think any of their struggles are on the coach, at all? 

Hockey teams win games because they're better than the opponent.  At the start of the season the Rangers looked better than the opponent and lucky.  Then the luck went away.  Now they don't look better than the opponent and often look worse.

Panarin is in what amounts to a major slump for him with 5 points in his last 10 games and no PP pts during that span.  When Panarin is not getting points he's a pretty bad player because he's not strong defensively at this point and he adds nothing to the physical side of the game.

I think to get things righted again the Rangers need to look at why Panarin is having such a tough time right now.  They need to fix that first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

Hockey teams win games because they're better than the opponent.  At the start of the season the Rangers looked better than the opponent and lucky.  Then the luck went away.  Now they don't look better than the opponent and often look worse.

Panarin is in what amounts to a major slump for him with 5 points in his last 10 games and no PP pts during that span.  When Panarin is not getting points he's a pretty bad player because he's not strong defensively at this point and he adds nothing to the physical side of the game.

I think to get things righted again the Rangers need to look at why Panarin is having such a tough time right now.  They need to fix that first.

Panarin half assing taking the body on Tkachuk was the season in one play. Yes, he's not the beast Tkachuk is, but didn't need to blow him up (and he couldn't) but needed to get there with his speed and either put a body on him or at least impede him. He's a hockey player, he's at least as fast, it's not that out of the realm of what any player should be able to do. 

You have to change some variable to sniff a playoff berth. So far nobody in the east is locking down the wildcard spots.  But figures somebody is gonna pick up the pace. 

Having said all that, there's been game after game where this team treats the puck in it's own zone like a live grenade, and there's no plan what to do with the puck. As awful as NYR have been offensively(same shit that ended Quinn) if there was any defensive structure, they're probably 8-10 points higher in the standings. If Gallant isn't going to change that one thing, it's time for a change. 

• Keeps it 100 2

20 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Panarin half assing taking the body on Tkachuk was the season in one play. Yes, he's not the beast Tkachuk is, but didn't need to blow him up (and he couldn't) but needed to get there with his speed and either put a body on him or at least impede him. He's a hockey player, he's at least as fast, it's not that out of the realm of what any player should be able to do. 

You have to change some variable to sniff a playoff berth. So far nobody in the east is locking down the wildcard spots.  But figures somebody is gonna pick up the pace. 

Having said all that, there's been game after game where this team treats the puck in it's own zone like a live grenade, and there's no plan what to do with the puck. As awful as NYR have been offensively(same shit that ended Quinn) if there was any defensive structure, they're probably 8-10 points higher in the standings. If Gallant isn't going to change that one thing, it's time for a change. 

Dead on, my man.  This team absolutely SUCKS dead donkey dick at trying to get the puck out of the zone.  I know this isn't new, but Jesus, this year they just look terrible trying to simply get the puck out of their own end.

I don't even wanna get into the whole "One-too-many-passes" thing either.

Yup, something's gotta give around here...soon!

3 hours ago, Br4d said:

Panarin has not been the same player since the Tom Wilson incident.  Points aside his game has become more passive and even more East West than before.  I'm not saying that incident changed his game.  It's just when I noticed the change.  His first 2 years here he was outstanding, rightfully the Hart race.  

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1