• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Call This Man a Cab

Phil

On 12/3/2022 at 10:09 PM, goondman said:

Ya, but he could've brought Strome back instead of signing Trocheck. It some ways its a 6 in one, 1/2 dozen in the other

On 12/3/2022 at 10:11 PM, Sharpshooter said:

Trocheck is kind of an upgrade over Strome though, I just don't know if he's a great fit here. I don't think he's been ass, though. Good comparison though with Sather. Jagr should've been brought back too.

Trochek is an upgrade and a way better and more complete player than Strome.

Thats undeniable and therefore they should not be heavily criticized for making that move. 
Strome’s best attribute was his chemistry with Panarin. 

It’s the next 3-4 seasons with both of them.

Id rather have Trochek over that span. 

It’s an issue of utilization. 

8 hours ago, cupalife said:

Has Vince ever said he reads this forum?  Serious question.  I see many references here that Brooks does and now Vince does.  Is this actual fact or speculation?

It's mostly a joke, but a lot of what Brooks writes were ideas posted here a couple of days prior. I guess a local conspiracy theory.

2 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

It's mostly a joke, but a lot of what Brooks writes were ideas posted here a couple of days prior. I guess a local conspiracy theory.

A lot? I'd say the record stands on it's out... Easily 95% rate. 

11 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Trochek is an upgrade and a way better and more complete player than Strome.

Thats undeniable and therefore they should not be heavily criticized for making that move. 
Strome’s best attribute was his chemistry with Panarin. 

It’s the next 3-4 seasons with both of them.

Id rather have Trochek over that span. 

It’s an issue of utilization. 

The point is that they signed him to be Panarin's C on the 2nd line. Now Chytil is there because Tro isn't working. Now you have a +5M 3C and if Chytil takes off with Panarin, how do you pay him.

Lesson is when you fuck with chemistry, you might look like you upgraded on paper, but there are other costs. 

• Keeps it 100 1

42 minutes ago, Pete said:

The point is that they signed him to be Panarin's C on the 2nd line. Now Chytil is there because Tro isn't working. Now you have a +5M 3C and if Chytil takes off with Panarin, how do you pay him.

Lesson is when you fuck with chemistry, you might look like you upgraded on paper, but there are other costs. 

Oh I agree Pete.

But you can utilize Trochek in ways in which you could never even hope to utilize Strome

9 hours ago, cupalife said:

Has Vince ever said he reads this forum?  Serious question.  I see many references here that Brooks does and now Vince does.  Is this actual fact or speculation?

No beat writer is going to say they read the forums, but visiting fan communities is probably the best way to get a pulse on the fanbase. I'd bet dollars to donuts that Brooks, Vince, Mollie Walker, and others are at least reading.

10 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Oh I agree Pete.

But you can utilize Trochek in ways in which you could never even hope to utilize Strome

I don't really agree, but it's just that it's neither here nor there. 

My point the whole time when people had the pitchforks out for Strome claiming an "upgrade" was required was that you can't put a price on chemistry. 

You can argue Trocheck vs Strome individually, but you can't argue with the on ice product. Trocheck looks like he still hasn't met his teammates and Panarin is struggling. Trocheck isn't being deployed any different than Strome. 

Early grade on the roster move is not looking awesome right now. 

10 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Oh I agree Pete.

My point the whole time when people had the pitchforks out for Strome claiming an "upgrade" was required was that you can't put a price on chemistry. 

You can argue Trocheck vs Strome individually, but you can't argue with the on ice product. Trocheck looks like he still hasn't met his teammates and Panarin is struggling. Trocheck isn't being deployed any different than Strome. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Is now a good time to bring up why I wanted Chytil to get some run with Panarin at some point while Strome was still here? Sometimes short term sacrifices have to be considered to help answer long term questions.

Anyway, if Chytil really broke out with Panarin, he will have turned himself into a bigger priority to keep long term than Kakko or Lafreniere. Depth down the middle will always be key.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

No. I get you. I’m not disagreeing. 

And that’s the slippery slope I’m talking about.

On the one hand, Strome and Panarin had phenomenal and undeniable chemistry. On the other hand, Trochek is a better player. 

But… Trochek actually should be deployed differently than Strome. And it’s pretty clear that he, at least for now based on early returns, shouldn’t be deployed with Panarin. Which sucks. It wasn’t an even swap, plug and play type of thing. Now they need to think on their feet and get creative. 

But he’s still a better hockey player who brings more.

But it’s also a case of what’s worth more…

The proven guy within existing chemistry and established success, but is not as complete and versatile?

Or the guy who can do more, but maybe not in the place and way you’re envisioning?

Edited by RangersIn7

We knew trocheck was a different style playe than Strome. In fac thats why the signing was needed.

I think it was commonly discussed on here that its likely that chemistry wont be the same as it was with Strome, for Panarin. And thats exactly what happened.

It sucks but this team being unable to adapt is honestly the bigger issue. 

28 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

No. I get you. I’m not disagreeing. 

And that’s the slippery slope I’m talking about.

On the one hand, Strome and Panarin had phenomenal and undeniable chemistry. On the other hand, Trochek is a better player. 

But… Trochek actually should be deployed differently than Strome. And it’s pretty clear that he, at least for now based on early returns, shouldn’t be deployed with Panarin. Which sucks. It wasn’t an even swap, plug and play type of thing. Now they need to think on their feet and get creative. 

But he’s still a better hockey player who brings more.

But it’s also a case of what’s worth more…

The proven guy within existing chemistry and established success, but is not as complete and versatile?

Or the guy who can do more, but maybe not in the place and way you’re envisioning?

You take the guy who maximizes the roster. The problem with Trochek is he has now become an expensive 3rd line center. Chytil is being played up which is what we were all pining for, for all of the kids. Freaking Morgan Barron could be on this roster as our 3c/4c playing the Trochek role or learning it anyways.

We have had some pretty bad management of this roster when looking holistically. Goodrow and Trochek are expensive for their role. Where do we go from here?

• Like 1