• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Call This Man a Cab

Phil

22 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Signing Trocheck was fine, but most of his other moves? Not so much. He had a good deadline last year but followed it up with a not so great offseason. The Buchnevich trade was a huge disaster.

I respectfully disagree. I feel like he blew up the chemistry train

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

He did, but they were up against the cap and couldn't bring back most of them anyway.

Ya, but he could've brought Strome back instead of signing Trocheck. It some ways its a 6 in one, 1/2 dozen in the other

Edited by goondman

1 minute ago, goondman said:

Ya, but he could've brought Strome back instead of signing Trocheck. It some ways its a 6 in one, 1/2 dozen in the other.

Kind of like when Sather signed Dreary and Gomez, when he should've started by resigning Michael Nylander first...

Trocheck is kind of an upgrade over Strome though, I just don't know if he's a great fit here. I don't think he's been ass, though. Good comparison though with Sather. Jagr should've been brought back too.

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Bullseye 1

Look no further than Tampa Bay for what a structured system on ice gets you. Over the last two seasons they have lost Gourde, McDonagh, Palat, Coleman, Goodrow, and Tyler Johnson, yet they keep staying near the top of the league. You can create an entire 2nd line and a 1LD for this Rangers team out of those losses. Tampa swaps between average defensemen to fill the gaps and it makes next to no difference. They've got buy in from the players because the system they play works. There's no buy-in with this Rangers team, because whatever the fuck they're doing doesn't work.

• Like 2
  • Bullseye 3
  • Applause 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

13 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Look no further than Tampa Bay for what a structured system on ice gets you. Over the last two seasons they have lost Gourde, McDonagh, Palat, Coleman, Goodrow, and Tyler Johnson, yet they keep staying near the top of the league. You can create an entire 2nd line and a 1LD for this Rangers team out of those losses. Tampa swaps between average defensemen to fill the gaps and it makes next to no difference. They've got buy in from the players because the system they play works. There's no buy-in with this Rangers team, because whatever the fuck they're doing doesn't work.

100% in agreement here. This team has the pieces that should be able to be competitive night in and night out but they aren't. Now they have a voiceless underperforming captain and no chemistry due to an unneeded upgrade at 2nd line center. I'd call Anaheim and offer them Trochek and Krav for Strome and Vatrano straight up. Pick up where they left off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jsm7302 said:

100% in agreement here. This team has the pieces that should be able to be competitive night in and night out but they aren't. Now they have a voiceless underperforming captain and no chemistry due to an unneeded upgrade at 2nd line center. I'd call Anaheim and offer them Trochek and Krav for Strome and Vatrano straight up. Pick up where they left off.

Truth

9 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Van they make a trade that promises they only play third string goalies and the other team's best player is on IR.  Because last year's team would have gone out in 5 games if Crosby doesn't get hurt.

I just can’t imagine them running out the same team, same lines (or close to it) and same staff again on Monday. We’re past the “at some point something has to give” portion of the show. Our captain, who is not a very emotional guy, is dishing out hits and fighting to wake us up while throwing his helmet against the boards. The postgame pressers look like funerals. No one knows what to say or how to fix it.

We’re past the point of an alarm. Something needs to be done. I don’t know what. But they can’t just keep running it out there, same guys, same set ups.

• Like 1

There's a couple re-tread disrupters out there who could possibly be brought in to try to salvage the season. One of them has close ties to Drury.

Think you gotta try something sooner rather than later. Coaches are hired to be fired.

Hard to make splashy trades in this league, so what else are you to do?

23 hours ago, Bugg said:

Panarin half assing taking the body on Tkachuk was the season in one play. Yes, he's not the beast Tkachuk is, but didn't need to blow him up (and he couldn't) but needed to get there with his speed and either put a body on him or at least impede him. He's a hockey player, he's at least as fast, it's not that out of the realm of what any player should be able to do. 

You have to change some variable to sniff a playoff berth. So far nobody in the east is locking down the wildcard spots.  But figures somebody is gonna pick up the pace. 

Having said all that, there's been game after game where this team treats the puck in it's own zone like a live grenade, and there's no plan what to do with the puck. As awful as NYR have been offensively(same shit that ended Quinn) if there was any defensive structure, they're probably 8-10 points higher in the standings. If Gallant isn't going to change that one thing, it's time for a change. 

Now, traditionally the assistant coaches handled one side of the spectrum, offensively and defensively.  I guess Murphy is the guy in charge of the defense. But is that just the deployment of the defensemen? Or does he come up with any sort of scheme/ game plan for the entire team? 

I could see Murphy getting the axe first, in an attempt to show the room and the fans that they recognize change needs to be made somewhere and it starts with the lack of defensive structure.  Last year they were pretty poor defensively.  This year, they look even worse. They all look lost (except Schneider). They all make terrible decisions with the puck all over the ice. 

If they aren't willing to move on from Gallant yet,the obvious move is an assistant.  

3 hours ago, Dunny said:

There's a couple re-tread disrupters out there who could possibly be brought in to try to salvage the season. One of them has close ties to Drury.

Think you gotta try something sooner rather than later. Coaches are hired to be fired.

Hard to make splashy trades in this league, so what else are you to do?

Hartley?