• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 Off-Season Thread — Go Into the Sadness

Phil

12 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

Unless Laffy (playing the wrong side) and Kakko suddenly light the world on fire, I think it's safe to assume this team will be quite a bit lower in point totals next year. The climb to a cup is never linear and I hope we can all keep our panic buttons locked up when the team inevitably has less impressive season.

The right side of the lineup is a complete crapshoot next year. Hopefully one of those three kids proves they're worthy of big time minutes -- otherwise we could have a problem. 

Yup, safe to say it's time for the kids to blosom...at least a few of them. If none of them step up, you are correct.  

However, I do think this is the proper approach because the alternative would be to spend precious cap space on players like Copp and Vatrano which would ultimately block any ascension opportunities.  

I think Laf has shown enough to think he's ready for a more prominent role.  

Chytil could springboard based on his playoff performance.

I, for one, haven't even remotely given up on Kakko.  In fact, I thought he did a lot of really nice things last year.  Was the scoring there?  No.  But hopefully that comes with time and maturity.  

Finally, assuming Krav comes over, if he can provide some scoring that would help a lot.

All in all, not a bad place to be.  I bet you a lot of teams around the league would love to have our "problem".  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

Unless Laffy (playing the wrong side) and Kakko suddenly light the world on fire, I think it's safe to assume this team will be quite a bit lower in point totals next year. The climb to a cup is never linear and I hope we can all keep our panic buttons locked up when the team inevitably has less impressive season.

The right side of the lineup is a complete crapshoot next year. Hopefully one of those three kids proves they're worthy of big time minutes -- otherwise we could have a problem. 

Start of the season through January 21st with Kakko in the top 6: .683 points %

Kakko injured but pre-Vatrano: .658 points %

Post-TDL additions: .659 points %

It's literally the same pre-deadline team with Trocheck in place of Strome and anyone in place of Nemeth.  I don't see how they're quite a bit lower in points.  If they add Kane at the deadline... 

49 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Wasn't right wing a shit show this past season until the trade deadline?

Losing Blais and having Kravstov leave was a big part of that. Both are to be in camp and are likely to make the roster. I think both players bring a lot of flexibility up and down the lineup. Either one can slot in on the top 9 at either wing. Blais would be fine on the 4th line too. He just needs to stat healthy. That's been a major problem for him over his career  though. I think the Rangers might be able to get 50 games out of him this year. If he does well,  you have to wonder if they can keep him past this coming season. 

Let's do a hypothetical because I'm already bored after free agency:

Matthew Tkachuk tells Calgary that he intends to leave after one more season, and Calgary decides to rip it down. Tkachuk gets traded. Elias Lindholm is next. He has two more years on his contract at a $4.85M cap hit. The cost is Kaapo Kakko, Filip Chytil, a 1st and 2nd round pick.

What do you do?

Zibanejad

Lindholm

Trocheck

Goodrow

down the middle for 2 seasons.

3 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Let's do a hypothetical because I'm already bored after free agency:

Matthew Tkachuk tells Calgary that he intends to leave after one more season, and Calgary decides to rip it down. Tkachuk gets traded. Elias Lindholm is next. He has two more years on his contract at a $4.85M cap hit. The cost is Kaapo Kakko, Filip Chytil, a 1st and 2nd round pick.

What do you do?

Zibanejad

Lindholm

Trocheck

Goodrow

down the middle for 2 seasons.

Lets not prematurely ejaculate

• JIMMY! 1

25 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Tyler Motte is still out there unsigned.

I am surprised 

21 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Seemed like a good guy but in a cap league, it seems teams want to fill those roles from within with cost controlled contracts.

Yea, a lot of teams have RFAs to deal with, maybe arbitration in some cases. He's a guy who's probably going to sign later in the summer or latch on through a try out. When there's a flat cap, the stars get paid and everyone else gets shafted.

• VINNY! 1

19 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Seemed like a good guy but in a cap league, it seems teams want to fill those roles from within with cost controlled contracts.

That’s the biggest factor I’m sure. But it’s hard to see any contract he signs breaking anyone’s bank. 

He was making $1.225 vs the cap last 2 seasons. Next contract isn’t going to be some mega deal. And it’s clear he can be very effective in a bottom line role

10 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

That’s the biggest factor I’m sure. But it’s hard to see any contract he signs breaking anyone’s bank. 

He was making $1.225 vs the cap last 2 seasons. Next contract isn’t going to be some mega deal. And it’s clear he can be very effective in a bottom line role

Motte probably isn't getting too much higher than that number at this point. It's a question of where he wants to play and for how long.

If we can get him as a dollar-for-dollar replacement over Reaves I'd do it.

12 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Motte probably isn't getting too much higher than that number at this point. It's a question of where he wants to play and for how long.

If 1.5 moves the needle for him; id give him a couple of years.

57 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

The problem is, based on exactly how you break down the roster, an argument could be made that they need to ditch Reaves in order to pay Kakko and keep enough padding to be able to meaningfully address the roster at the deadline.

I'm not sure there's any scenario, really, in which Motte is attainable.

20 minutes ago, Phil said:

The problem is, based on exactly how you break down the roster, an argument could be made that they need to ditch Reaves in order to pay Kakko and keep enough padding to be able to meaningfully address the roster at the deadline.

I think, as things stand and under the assumption of a Kakko contract equal to the one Chytil signed last year, we're at 1.66M in cap space on a 21-man roster (13/6/2). This also assumes that Dryden Hunt makes the team over Will Cuylle or Brennan Othmann (if Cuylle/Othmann, make it 1.5M). They can carry another defenseman should they so desire it at league min and still have 800k or so in cap space (so figure 3M in deadline space - probably not enough for Drury's liking without an injury or two playing a role).

It's not impossible to think of Motte on a 3-year, 1.5M AAV deal. It just requires you to get rid of Reaves and/or be comfortable not carrying a 13th forward/7th D for a while.

27 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'd guess Motte is unsigned because he wants term, but teams are concerned with his injury history.

Get Reaves' money of the books.  Give Motte 1 x $1.25.  Leaves you an extra $500k for cushion, and gives Motte the opportunity to prove he can stay healthy so he can sign a term deal next summer.

5 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I think, as things stand and under the assumption of a Kakko contract equal to the one Chytil signed last year, we're at 1.66M in cap space on a 21-man roster (13/6/2). This also assumes that Dryden Hunt makes the team over Will Cuylle or Brennan Othmann (if Cuylle/Othmann, make it 1.5M). They can carry another defenseman should they so desire it at league min and still have 800k or so in cap space (so figure 3M in deadline space - probably not enough for Drury's liking without an injury or two playing a role).

It's not impossible to think of Motte on a 3-year, 1.5M AAV deal. It just requires you to get rid of Reaves and/or be comfortable not carrying a 13th forward/7th D for a while.

I mean, sure, but it all depends on what they value more — Motte now, or the most cap flexibility at the deadline, when they're presumably going to be big-game hunting.

In effect, you can kill Reaves to sign Motte to the same AAV and it doesn't hurt their ability to be cap compliant with some padding to start the year (for call-ups), but any deal would chip away from more generous space to start, which equals a bigger cushion at the deadline.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

I mean, sure, but it all depends on what they value more — Motte now, or the most cap flexibility at the deadline, when they're presumably going to be big-game hunting.

In effect, you can kill Reaves to sign Motte to the same AAV and it doesn't hurt their ability to be cap compliant with some padding to start the year (for call-ups), but any deal would chip away from more generous space to start, which equals a bigger cushion at the deadline.

Oh, for sure. There's also just a lot of potential randomness out there with the lack of cap for some players. We're only 8 weeks away from camp starting and there are a LOT of players out there who will have to take dirt cheap contracts or even PTOs because there simply is no cap space. 

If you can convince Reaves to walk away, is the most valuable thing you can do to give Motte a deal? Probably not. Is it keep the cap space? Maybe. Is it to give Paul Stastny a PTO?

4 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Oh, for sure. There's also just a lot of potential randomness out there with the lack of cap for some players. We're only 8 weeks away from camp starting and there are a LOT of players out there who will have to take dirt cheap contracts or even PTOs because there simply is no cap space. 

If you can convince Reaves to walk away, is the most valuable thing you can do to give Motte a deal? Probably not. Is it keep the cap space? Maybe. Is it to give Paul Stastny a PTO?

Depending on who’s left out there, I’m burying Reaves to get the cap space if it means signing a steal of a contract. Think Motte at 1-2 yrs x $1.2-1.4M. Thank you Reavo but it’s only been a year. I’m not that tied to him. Bonus points if they get him to retire with a wink wink deal within the organization to make up for the money.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Depending on who’s left out there, I’m burying Reaves to get the cap space if it means signing a steal of a contract. Think Motte at 1-2 yrs x $1.2-1.4M. Thank you Reavo but it’s only been a year. I’m not that tied to him. Bonus points if they get him to retire with a wink wink deal within the organization to make up for the money.

Reaves would be a hell of a coach, imo. 

He could legitimately lose his spot to any handful of "energy" wings in our depth chart. 

Not sure how you bury his contract, I believe his extension is considered 35+.  So I believe that means he would have to be traded. I also doubt GG has any issue with him being on the roster, I do think we will see less of him but not drastically less barring injury during the regular season.