• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 Off-Season Thread — Go Into the Sadness

Phil

22 hours ago, Phil said:

Not sure. I could be wrong about all of this, mind you, but I'd imagine they mark anyone who signs post 35 as "35+" simply to signify age. As far as I understand the rules, the retirement factor only matters on 35+ deals that have more than one year, which Reaves' doesn't.

Again, I could be wrong.

I would assume b/c the Rangers so egregiously signed Reaves to an extension on top of his contract after the trade was made therefore probably making it a 35+ contract.  

18 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

I would assume b/c the Rangers so egregiously signed Reaves to an extension on top of his contract after the trade was made therefore probably making it a 35+ contract.  

Again, I'm open to being corrected here if I don't understand this correctly, but my reading of the CBA language is clear. 35+ is a tag that applies to any contract signed where the player signing it is 35 or older, or will be 35 when the contract begins (like Reaves). However, only multi-year 35+ contracts are subject to retirement or buried-in-minors penalties (outside of the standard cap relief given when a contract greater than whatever the threshold is is buried).

11 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Except Motte isn’t a C. Carpenter is. They needed a C. 

I'm thinking Carpenter is playing wing and Goodrow is the C. Obviously filling in at C when Goodrow gets bumped up to 3 C when Chytil gets hurt, or Gallant does his typical slotting a grit guy up thing. 

Edited by The Dude

13 hours ago, The Dude said:

I'm thinking Carpenter is playing wing and Goodrow is the C. Obviously filling in at C when Goodrow gets bumped up to 3 C when Chytil gets hurt, or Gallant does his typical slotting a grit guy up thing. 

That could be how it plays out.

Im just looking at the roster spot and what they needed to fill it with. 
It had to be a true C. They just needed another viable NHL C that can play that spot on the 4th line. 

Carpenter isn’t a particularly good player. He’s just cheap and reasonably reliable. 

Motte isn't a natural center, but plays all three forward positions. As it stands, though, Goodrow or Carpenter will be their fourth-line center. There's an outside shot for this Rydahl guy that Rangers Twitter is penciling into the lineup, but I think it's a long one given he's played exactly zero professional hockey minutes in North America.

2 hours ago, Phil said:

Motte isn't a natural center, but plays all three forward positions. As it stands, though, Goodrow or Carpenter will be their fourth-line center. There's an outside shot for this Rydahl guy that Rangers Twitter is penciling into the lineup, but I think it's a long one given he's played exactly zero professional hockey minutes in North America.

I still think Rydahl is very much in the mix here. They signed him pretty quickly to a one-way deal and he very much fits the mold of "pain in the ass in the bottom 6" that Drury and Gallant appear to be targeting. 

Maybe I'm just trying to read the tea leaves a bit too much, or just being too hopeful, but I really think he's the guy they've tabbed and I think both Reaves and Hunt need to be very aware that they're in a competition for the 12th forward spot.

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

I still think Rydahl is very much in the mix here. They signed him pretty quickly to a one-way deal and he very much fits the mold of "pain in the ass in the bottom 6" that Drury and Gallant appear to be targeting. 

Maybe I'm just trying to read the tea leaves a bit too much, or just being too hopeful, but I really think he's the guy they've tabbed and I think both Reaves and Hunt need to be very aware that they're in a competition for the 12th forward spot.

Maybe, yeah, but this is true of a lot of European signings. Even Zuccarello didn't make the team right out of the gate. He went to Hartford to get used to the North American game/ice. Because he, like Rydahl, had no experience.

Maybe Rydahl just adapts on the fly, but my default position would be "learn in the AHL first."

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

26 minutes ago, Phil said:

Maybe, yeah, but this is true of a lot of European signings. Even Zuccarello didn't make the team right out of the gate. He went to Hartford to get used to the North American game/ice. Because he, like Rydahl, had no experience.

Maybe Rydahl just adapts on the fly, but my default position would be "learn in the AHL first."

It's all up in the air, really. I tend to think that it's pretty rare that players over the age of 23 or so make the jump across the pond at all if they're undrafted, so when someone in Rydahl's circumstances does well enough to draw NHL attention, I tend to believe they're coming for an NHL spot.

That's not to say it'll work out, but I would not at all be surprised if he makes the team over Reaves, Hunt, or Carpenter.

4 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

It's all up in the air, really. I tend to think that it's pretty rare that players over the age of 23 or so make the jump across the pond at all if they're undrafted, so when someone in Rydahl's circumstances does well enough to draw NHL attention, I tend to believe they're coming for an NHL spot.

That's not to say it'll work out, but I would not at all be surprised if he makes the team over Reaves, Hunt, or Carpenter.

Literally zero chance Reaves isn't on the opening night roster, unless he gets hurt.

• VINNY! 2

4 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

I guess you have Gauthier in a top 9 spot?  Oddly you left him out of the equation  

Seriously though, why even sign him? You don't sign Gauthier or Carpenter (or Hajek for that matter), then don't assure a spot to Hunt and you can give Motte 1.2 X 2 and have room to sign a 13th forward. Hunt is the most expendable forward besides Gauthier. I don't understand why they are here and Motte isn’t.    

Seems like Drury just isn't a fan. Must have been a bad negotiation or something for Drury to write off the possibility of retaining Motte before free agency even began.  

4 hours ago, josh said:

When has motte played center? He’s won 54 draws during his career. 

Only a handful of games in Vancouver, or so I've been told. I watch about two Canucks games a year, if I can stay up long enough to.

I'm guessing it was in a pinch, like Marty St. Louis, second-line center.

13 hours ago, The Dude said:

Seems like Drury just isn't a fan. Must have been a bad negotiation or something for Drury to write off the possibility of retaining Motte before free agency even began. 

How do we get here? They had limited cap space, priorities over 4th liners, and about 4 other options for 4th line wing that fit under the cap already. He wasn't needed. Cullye probably gets a chance.

There's not always some nefarious backstory.

Edited by Pete
  • Applause 1