• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

PC Building, Maintenance, and Games Discussion

Drew a Penalty

alright, so dont laugh but for the BSBH Fantasy draft I had set up my old gaming computer in the basement for the first time in about 7 months. I figured id take the opportunity to update some Steam games and just saw that it said "Steam will stop working on Windows 7 in 84 days"

wtf is this true? I had been talking about having a new gaming pc built but this kinda seals the deal i guess? I have yo upgrade to Windows 11 now or Steam is incompatible? 

22 hours ago, Keirik said:

alright, so dont laugh but for the BSBH Fantasy draft I had set up my old gaming computer in the basement for the first time in about 7 months. I figured id take the opportunity to update some Steam games and just saw that it said "Steam will stop working on Windows 7 in 84 days"

wtf is this true? I had been talking about having a new gaming pc built but this kinda seals the deal i guess? I have yo upgrade to Windows 11 now or Steam is incompatible? 

It's true. Support for it ends on January 1st. 

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/4784-4F2B-1321-800A#:~:text=As of January 1 2024,on those versions of Windows.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone see any good upcoming black Friday deals on curved monitors or full gaming systems?

I saw skytech gaming has 10% off their high end custome PC builds which actually can save a good amount but not sure if if there are better deals pit there. 

10 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Anyone see any good upcoming black Friday deals on curved monitors or full gaming systems?

I saw skytech gaming has 10% off their high end custome PC builds which actually can save a good amount but not sure if if there are better deals pit there. 

Honestly...if you want top of the line this is like...an awful time to be buying a PC. Shit's stupid expensive. Unless you're sitting on something ancient, I might consider a parts upgrade instead.

5 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Honestly...if you want top of the line this is like...an awful time to be buying a PC. Shit's stupid expensive. Unless you're sitting on something ancient, I might consider a parts upgrade instead.

Better than when I paid $900 for a 3070Ti second hand...It's expensive now but that's just the new cost of PC gaming. We aren't even in a price gouging/secondary market. Supply is fine.

Edited by Cash or Czech

59 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Yeah I'm a little surprised that pricing has been so high given the decrease in demand, particularly on GPUs. I would've thought we'd see some hefty discounts on RTX4080/4090s but that hasn't been the case. Not sure what they plan to do with all the inventory they're sitting on. 

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

Keep a lookout for those Dell Alienware QD-OLEDs if you can. I think the Samsung G9 will be a bit too overkill for you. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

I'm sitting on a PC build from 10 years ago unfortunately  it's just time. The good news is that I have a small (large) budget stashed away so money isn't too much of a problem within reason. 

3 hours ago, Keirik said:

I'm sitting on a PC build from 10 years ago unfortunately  it's just time. The good news is that I have a small (large) budget stashed away so money isn't too much of a problem within reason. 

Oh if that's the case, go hog wild.

I'll say this though - the jump from "very very good" to "top of the line" costs more than it's worth most times. Don't be thinking you shorted yourself if you go with a 12th gen intel processor or a lesser GPU than a 4090. It ain't much of a difference to anything to step down except your wallet.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Oh if that's the case, go hog wild.

I'll say this though - the jump from "very very good" to "top of the line" costs more than it's worth most times. Don't be thinking you shorted yourself if you go with a 12th gen intel processor or a lesser GPU than a 4090. It ain't much of a difference to anything to step down except your wallet.

I can't imagine I'd go less than the 4090 though to be honest. If I'm going to do this, I don't see why I'd care about saving a small amount. 

one things I did notice that I've seen the 13 th gen processor still be a bit more expensive than the newer 14th Feb. is that normal or maybe I looked quickly and didn't notice. 

• The Chyt! 1

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

I can't imagine I'd go less than the 4090 though to be honest. If I'm going to do this, I don't see why I'd care about saving a small amount. 

one things I did notice that I've seen the 13 th gen processor still be a bit more expensive than the newer 14th Feb. is that normal or maybe I looked quickly and didn't notice. 

With the 4090, you need to be careful though. You need a big ass case, you need seriously good cooling in the case, and you need to make sure you aren't using any sort of angled connectors as the 4090's been melting those 🙂

Thing is a goddamn monster. It's probably the only card that's truly 4k gaming ready. 

13 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

With the 4090, you need to be careful though. You need a big ass case, you need seriously good cooling in the case, and you need to make sure you aren't using any sort of angled connectors as the 4090's been melting those 🙂

Thing is a goddamn monster. It's probably the only card that's truly 4k gaming ready. 

I did watch a build where the 4090 wasn't large. Think instead of fans it was joined with the cpu water lock. You can see the video here

9 hours ago, Keirik said:

I did watch a build where the 4090 wasn't large. Think instead of fans it was joined with the cpu water lock. You can see the video here

Yup. That's a watercooled 4090, so it doesn't need the heatsink. I've never done this, and after watching a few videos, I'm not sure I'd recommend it unless you have cash to burn or a lot of confidence - you literally need to disassemble the entire card, redo all the thermal padding (and add some), attach the waterblock, and then fill the waterblock. One mistake on this and you're surely out around $2000

Go prebuilt if you want watercooled - and yeah, that's absolutely going to give you the best performance.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Good to know if I ever want to go that route. Mine is fan cooled, but still pretty quiet overall and great at keeping cool.

The other thing to keep in mind is that water cooled systems are often highly customized. You need to cut and bend tubing, add plugs and valves, and oftentimes modify your GPU using a conversion kit (if you intend to use watercooling for your GPU as well)

They're very pretty when done well. They're exceptional at handling overclocking. They're a ton of work to set up.

11 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

For most people and uses, there's almost no reason to water cool except for it to look cool.

Yeah, I was just wondering. I was kind of wary about it myself. I mean I'm sure it works great and everything, but I don't know if it's really necessary. I just did a new build not too long ago with fans and it's still extremely quiet and very efficient and cool. I never overclock my GPU or anything anyway.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Keirik said:

I'll preface this question with I don't know jack shit about gaming computers.  Are you selling your current setup as a whole or keeping it and just upgrading parts?

3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I'll preface this question with I don't know jack shit about gaming computers.  Are you selling your current setup as a whole or keeping it and just upgrading parts?

im keeping it for now as it can be the work pc for my wife or more likely just til i transfer files over and all that and i get to have my own gaming setup. Why, whats up?