• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

PC Building, Maintenance, and Games Discussion

Drew a Penalty

On 7/14/2023 at 1:10 PM, LindG1000 said:

It's kind of riding on the legacy of some of the older titles. A parkour style assassination game with a great, somewhat historic story should be a winner every time, but it's been a little on and off recently. Origins was decent, Odyssey was actually great, Valhalla was...okay. 

Agree with this assessment. The original AC games are obviously legendary for their theme, gameplay and historical nature. And while Origins and Odyssey were quite enjoyable, the franchise has turned into just another RPG adventure with a shit ton of side quests and microtransactions ever since Odyssey, so I don't have high expectations of Mirage being any good. 

So AMD's new 7800 XT GPU comes out on the 6th, and comes with a free copy of Starfield. I game at 1440p and don't really care for ray tracing. My EVGA (RIP) 3070 Ti is going for $350-$450 on eBay/FB Marketplace right now. Upgrading to AMD would be around $499. I feel like this is a no brainer. 

Edited by Cash or Czech

I think the only AC game I liked was Origins, mainly because of the Egyptian setting. It's just a franchise that I couldn't get into and didn't really enjoy. I didn't even care for the classic Ezio games that much, although I find them better than most of the more modern releases. Black Flag was really good, although that felt more like a pirates RPG than an AC game, which helped in my eyes. I haven't even bothered with the more recent releases, as they look kind of 'meh' and just extremely bloated just for the sake of giving you stuff to do.

Fingers crossed that Starfield becomes the sci-fi game to end all sci-fi games. It's got everything you could possibly want by the looks of it. Hopefully it delivers. It's a priority over BG3 for me at this point. I'm definitely not pre-ordering and will wait for a lot of reviews to trickle down before I purchase. According to 'leakers' it the best running, most polished Bethesda game they've ever released. I hope that is true.

On 8/29/2023 at 4:36 PM, Cash or Czech said:

So AMD's new 7800 XT GPU comes out on the 6th, and comes with a free copy of Starfield. I game at 1440p and don't really care for ray tracing. My EVGA (RIP) 3070 Ti is going for $350-$450 on eBay/FB Marketplace right now. Upgrading to AMD would be around $499. I feel like this is a no brainer. 

So I know we had spoken in the past about me building a gaming Pc. Well, the timing is getting a bit closer but I want to wait to see how it all plays out with Starfield backing AMD and whether it would be better to build an AMD based one or just wait a bit longer and see if an intel system still is the better bet. 

thoughts?

6 minutes ago, Keirik said:

So I know we had spoken in the past about me building a gaming Pc. Well, the timing is getting a bit closer but I want to wait to see how it all plays out with Starfield backing AMD and whether it would be better to build an AMD based one or just wait a bit longer and see if an intel system still is the better bet. 

thoughts?

Starfield's AMD-exclusive is around graphics upscaling technology. AMD graphics cards use FSR, Nvidia uses DLSS, and Intel uses XeSS. Starfield only has FSR, and doesn't have DLSS or XeSS. Outside of AMD-exclusive tech titles, DLSS is the better technology IMO. It's more developed and has more partner games overall.

In making your decision, I'd wait for Gamers Nexus or another tech youtuber to do a FPS comparison on different tiers of cards to see what impact the tech or lack thereof will have on this single title.

I'm considering the flip because I like the "oooooh new and shiny" factor and convincing myself it's worth it because if I buy the card, get the free game, and sell my other card ideally I spend $100 out of pocket for $570 worth of product. It's flawed logic but hey, I love upgrading my PC LOL

For CPU, it's a coin flip between Intel and AMD. AMD is at the start of it's socket lifecycle so you will be able to upgrade without a new motherboard down the road. Intel's 12th and 13th gen CPUs only work on this current set of motherboards. If you got one and then wanted to upgrade when 14th gen launches, you'd need a new motherboard as well. If you're going to lock in and not upgrade for 5-6 years, I think I'd lean Intel even though I am an AMD CPU user myself. 

• Applause 1

1 minute ago, Cash or Czech said:

In making your decision, I'd wait for Gamers Nexus or another tech youtuber to do a FPS comparison on different tiers of cards to see what impact the tech or lack thereof will have on this single title.

This is basically where I’m at. I figured I’d let the dust settle and see where we are at. Personallly, I do think it’s a bit of a shitty look for Bethesda to side with either rather than staying neutral considering how big of a deal the modding community is for every major Bethesda game. I get that it’ll still work and thrive on a good intel system, but I’d still prefer if they didn’t go after the bag of cash in this situation. They already did on the console side of things. 

8 minutes ago, Keirik said:

This is basically where I’m at. I figured I’d let the dust settle and see where we are at. Personallly, I do think it’s a bit of a shitty look for Bethesda to side with either rather than staying neutral considering how big of a deal the modding community is for every major Bethesda game. I get that it’ll still work and thrive on a good intel system, but I’d still prefer if they didn’t go after the bag of cash in this situation. They already did on the console side of things. 

Yeah, I mean doesn't AMD supply the chip tech for Xbox and also possibly Playstation? Rockstar/2K is notorious for being AMD-preferred. The Borderlands games perform way better on AMD cards.

21 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

OK, thank you. Also, I'm looking at perhaps upgrading hard drive space with an external SSD. What company makes the best hard drives? I'm leaning towards Seagate or Western Digital.

What are you looking to store on the drive? Pictures/static files or games/programs?

• 2 weeks later...