• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

PC Building, Maintenance, and Games Discussion

Drew a Penalty

On 10/25/2022 at 8:26 AM, Cash or Czech said:

I'm in Westchester, so not that far. Depending on timing I could help you out.

I like the sound of that. Not far at all. When the time comes I'll let you know. I just sneakily got the wife to agree that we really need to have the PC and all that in the finished basement which I can then turn into whatever I want as long as I don't mess with the home gym in one half of it.  

• Like 1

So I sold off the 6800 XT today. Managed to sell it for 80% of the MSRP so not too big of a hit after ~6 months of use, figured I'd cut my losses and move on. 

I had bought it in March with the intention of building a 5700X/12700K based system. But with hardware shortages and high pricing as a result, that didn't happen.

I've spec'd out a new 13700K based build as I'm hoping to run this next system for 4-5 years. But likely won't build it until prices stabilize next spring. And there was no sense in running a 6800XT on my 5 year old system, as by the time I build the new one, it'll be bottlenecked by the 6800 XT and I'll be wanting a 4080/7800 XT anyway lol

6 hours ago, Keirik said:

Let’s talk monitors. What should I look at now when the idea of building a to end gaming system? I’m not as concerned as money as getting the best reasonable monites that till have a low latency and l input lag. 

There's a decision here, but it's because when you make the jump from 4k to 4k with the bells and whistles (1ms refresh, 144hz), you more than double the price. You also have the question of setup - do you want multiple monitors or one monitor? 

A pair of these bad boys is gonna set you back a pretty penny; 4k+144hz+1ms is a power combo and it's not cheap. If you're looking for just one big fucker of a monitor, this is damn near top of the line.

Personally, I'm thinking of getting one of those smaller ones on Black Friday if there's a good promo/drop.

• Thanks 1

Because of hardware limitations, I don't think 4K 144hz is a great investment personally. None of the current hardware can run it at the 144 FPS that the refresh rate makes look so nice. So if you're future proofing for 5 years and plan to keep the graphics card you buy, I don't think you'd maximize budget to performance with a 4K panel.

I usually recommend higher end 1440p monitors. I've been looking to upgrade that myself for a while, and they're more affordable. The 27" flat and curved models are in the $300 price range each.

I bought an off-brand one that has a Samsung panel 5 years ago and haven't had a single issue with it. 

https://www.microcenter.com/product/649789/samsung-ls27ag550-27-2k-qhd-(2560-x-1440)-165hz-ultrawide-screen-gaming-monitor

https://www.microcenter.com/product/626548/asus-vg27wq1b-27-2k-wqhd-(2560-x-1440)-165hz-curved-screen-gaming-monitor

https://www.microcenter.com/product/631142/samsung-c27g55t-g5-odyssey-27-2k-wqhd-(2560-x-1440)-144hz-wide-curved-screen-gaming-monitor

@Pete that one's good for gaming. If you don't care about 2" (😏) you can save $100: https://www.microcenter.com/product/657042/samsung-ls32ag552enxza-odyssey-315-2k-qhd-(2560-x-1440)-165hz-curved-screen-gaming-monitor

Edited by Cash or Czech
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

For me, I feel like the 1440p, 27-inch monitors is the sweet spot for me. Also, something with a high refresh rate, preferably 244hz if you plan on playing a lot of FPS games. Or even if you don't, it's still nice to have one with a high refresh rate. Everything is so much faster and snapper now, it's unreal. I had been using a 60hz panel for a long time and I can't go back now.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Keirik said:

Let’s talk monitors. What should I look at now when the idea of building a to end gaming system? I’m not as concerned as money as getting the best reasonable monites that till have a low latency and l input lag. 

If you're looking for a display specifically for a high end gaming system, some of the features you're going to want to look for:

- Firstly, you'll need to decide what aspect ratio you want. Personally, I think ultrawide displays handcuff you when playing games which don't support ultrawide resolutions (as you'll get black bars on both sides). So I'd recommend sticking with a 16:9 format as this gives you the most versality for gaming and also when watching videos.

- In terms of resolution, I'd say in this day and age you'd want to buy something that's 4K (3840 x 2160p) resolution.

- For refresh rate, 120 Hz as a minimum. Obviously you can spend more to get even higher refresh rates such as 144 Hz, 240 Hz, 360 Hz etc. But to be able to play at those FPS, you're going to be sacrificing resolution and picture quality, as there's no way most graphics cards will be able to handle 4K @ 120+ FPS with all settings turned up to max. If you're just a regular gamer, playing at 4K @ 60 Hz/120 Hz will be more than adequate. We're not e-sports pro gamers here lol 

- You're definitely going to want a display with HDMI 2.1 ports and the associated features such as VRR (variable refresh rate; this is important so that during demanding scenes when the fps drops the monitor adjusts its refresh rate to match the graphics card output), ALLM (auto low latency mode) etc.

- Aside from that you'll want to decide on whether you want to go with an LCD LED or OLED based display. Each have their pros and cons. 

• Thanks 1

A lot to unpack. @LindG1000 I would probably only go with one monitor and not dual displays. I figure I’d like to go with a 4k resolution just for the potential of future proofing. If I eventually have a pc built, I’d for sure want the option to upgrade the graphics card if need be 2-3 years down the road. @Cash or Czech great suggestions. I’ll start doing some research. Any good YouTube guys that review gaming monitors ? There are a fuck ton for regular tvs that I watch whenever it’s time to upgrade my home theater. 
@Karan

2.1 hdmi

120hz refresh rate at minimum for sure

vrr I think is definitely a good thing.

is there not much of an issue with input lag in video game monitors as it is with consoles and tvs ?

12 minutes ago, Keirik said:

A lot to unpack. @LindG1000 I would probably only go with one monitor and not dual displays. I figure I’d like to go with a 4k resolution just for the potential of future proofing. If I eventually have a pc built, I’d for sure want the option to upgrade the graphics card if need be 2-3 years down the road. @Cash or Czech great suggestions. I’ll start doing some research. Any good YouTube guys that review gaming monitors ? There are a fuck ton for regular tvs that I watch whenever it’s time to upgrade my home theater. 
@Karan

2.1 hdmi

is there not much of an issue with input lag in video game monitors as it is with consoles and tvs ?

Gaming-based monitors such as the ones others have linked above will usually have very low response time/input lag (i.e. less than a couple milliseconds). Generally, speaking anything less than 10ms is quite good, unless you're in the professional e-sports category. Most TVs being used for gaming unfortunately will have really high response time as you noted (over 20-30 or even 40 ms) in some cases. LG OLEDs are generally catered towards gamers as much as they are movie enthuasiasts and generally have some of the lowest input lag in the TV industry (around 8ms). But if you're going with a gaming-based monitor, it's not something you'll have to worry about since that's one of their primary criteria. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

@Karan

2.1 hdmi

For youtubers, BitWit, Linus, and Monitors Unboxed are the main guys I believe.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2022 at 6:30 AM, Pete said:

I've got my eye on this for Black Friday. Not sure how good it is for gaming. 

SAMSUNG 34-Inch Odyssey G5 Ultra-Wide Gaming Monitor with 1000R Curved Screen, 165Hz, 1ms, FreeSync Premium, WQHD (LC34G55TWWNXZA, 2020 Model), Black https://a.co/d/brSUuBe

That's a really popular gaming display and I don't think you'll be disappointed especially at that BF discounted price.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Thoughts on this as an alt?

Deal of the day: LG UltraWide QHD 34-Inch Computer Monitor 34WP65C-B, VA with HDR 10 Compatibility and AMD FreeSync Premium, Black https://a.co/d/3EFgp2G

Very closely comparable from the looks of it. In fact, the LG will probably have better contrast than the Samsung as it uses a VA-type panel as opposed to an IPS-panel. So if you're looking for a mainly gaming based budget monitor (rather than for productivity), the LG would probably be a better buy at this price point.

• JIMMY! 1

1 hour ago, Karan said:

Very closely comparable from the looks of it. In fact, the LG will probably have better contrast than the Samsung as it uses a VA-type panel as opposed to an IPS-panel. So if you're looking for a mainly gaming based budget monitor (rather than for productivity), the LG would probably be a better buy at this price point.

You give me hot pants when you verify my purchases. 

• Believe 1

Steam Autumn Sale closes up shop in a day. Any absolute must-have gems on sale? 

I'll throw my hat in for Spider-Man if you haven't already done it on PS. It's a love letter to NYC + some of the most crazy fun open-world I've ever seen. Still pricey since it's new to PC, but on sale.

Also a bump for Cyberpunk at half off and like every Assassins Creed game at 75% off.

39 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I double dipped and bought Cyberpunk on PC during the Steam sale! lol I also picked up Dying Light 2 and that Halo collection. I've never played a Halo, so I'm looking forward to checking out the campaigns for these games.

I played the original Halo, Sharpy!!  I was a Plasma-pistol/Battle rifle kinda guy!! 

• 2 weeks later...