• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

PC Building, Maintenance, and Games Discussion

Drew a Penalty

Gaming with a 3080 and 340hz monitor is like a totally new experience. It's amazing. What a difference coming from my old 980 and 21 inch TN display. lol I'm working my way through Doom and then Doom Eternal. I know Doom is a few years old now, but it's buttery smooth. I might get Cyberpunk for it too even though I'm playing it on PS5, and I'm looking forward to The Witcher 3 upgrade.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/24/2022 at 12:58 AM, Keirik said:

I’ve been meaning to give Cyberpunk a go since it’s finally been patched and fixed but I’d be on a series X. Next gen update came out so I’m good there but a good modding community can’t be beat on pc. 

I haven’t done any of the modding but I did play the game straight through and it’s good. Reminds me a lot of Deus ex if you ever played that 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Karan said:

340Hz?! Holy crap, so you literally skipped 120/140Hz and went straight to warp speed. 😁

Yes, and after having it for a bit now, it's amazing. What a difference! Not just gaming but even regular computer work and web browsing is so much smoother and faster. I treated myself with this build. lol There were some discounts, so it was still worth it.

5 hours ago, siddious said:

I haven’t done any of the modding but I did play the game straight through and it’s good. Reminds me a lot of Deus ex if you ever played that 

I sure did play Deus Ex. Loved tha5 game. One of the first action rpg games I remember. 

4 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

@KeirikCyberpunk is very good, even moreso after all of the patches and updates. They are planning one more big update along with some DLC in the near future. I would just wait for those before diving in.

That’s probably what I’ll do. 

I’ve been toying with the idea of buying a new gaming pc. Not sure yet if I’d do prebuilt or custom. I don’t know how to build one myself, but I certainly don’t want to buy a dell or Alienware or crap like that.

I was topping around on Newegg. I’m looking to go very high end just to future proof it as much as possible. Just starting the process. Are there any new technologies coming out soon that would make me want to hold off? 

12 hours ago, Keirik said:

I’ve been toying with the idea of buying a new gaming pc. Not sure yet if I’d do prebuilt or custom. I don’t know how to build one myself, but I certainly don’t want to buy a dell or Alienware or crap like that.

I was topping around on Newegg. I’m looking to go very high end just to future proof it as much as possible. Just starting the process. Are there any new technologies coming out soon that would make me want to hold off? 

On prebuilt or custom: I prefer custom every time because the folks making prebuilts aren't as professional or A-grade quality as one might expect. Gamers Nexus has been buying prebuilts for the past year or so and reviewing them, and a lot of them are pretty scary. Plus you pay an upcharge for convenience. I can refer you to many videos from LTT and JayzTwoCents if you do decide to build it yourself. Microcenter also offers a build service if you buy your parts there. Your closest location is likely Westbury (I believe you're on LI?). I love (swear by) that store for PC components.

For future proofing, most of the new technologies just released.

CPUs: Intel 13th gen launched a week ago, and the pure power is awesome. AMD released Ryzen 7000s a month or so ago. I have had three AMD chips in a row, but at this point I'd recommend Intel. They are compatible with both DDR4 and DDR5 RAM, depending on the motherboard you purchase.

RAM: AMD is DDR5 only. DDR5 is expensive, and the motherboards that use it are expensive. DDR4 is more affordable, and has minimal performance decline versus the newer technology in processes like gaming and everyday computing. 

GPUs: Nvidia just launched the 4000 series with the 4090, with the 4080 20GB coming sometime next month. None of their other SKUs have been officially announced yet. The NVIDIA 3000 series is having some great deals, and you can get 5+ years at 1440p resolution out of an NVIDIA 3070, 3070Ti, or 3080 no problem. AMD has some solid performers as well, and the 6800XT is a strong combination of performance and reasonable price. 

Edited by Cash or Czech

15 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

Also been on the cyberpunk kick. 30 hours of gameplay in. The storytelling, the actual gameplay, mission variety, friends, it’s all so well executed. Would recommend, and it’s on sale often

Yeah Cyberpunk was great. I played on release and I was lucky enough to not have many bugs. It was definitely over-hyped and didn't deliver in quite a few areas, but it's still a solid game. I can't wait for the DLC so I can dive into that world again.

I've been playing the new COD: Modern Warfare 2 campaign. It's really well done. If you want to just turn your brain off for a few hours and play a shooty game, I highly recommend.

8 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

Yeah Cyberpunk was great. I played on release and I was lucky enough to not have many bugs. It was definitely over-hyped and didn't deliver in quite a few areas, but it's still a solid game. I can't wait for the DLC so I can dive into that world again.

I've been playing the new COD: Modern Warfare 2 campaign. It's really well done. If you want to just turn your brain off for a few hours and play a shooty game, I highly recommend.

I'm waiting for the 28th for multiplayer. Don't think I've played a COD campaign since high school.

Any indications there's gonna be movie tie ins and anime cats in the multiplayer like there was in Vanguard? I hated that shit.

14 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I'm waiting for the 28th for multiplayer. Don't think I've played a COD campaign since high school.

Any indications there's gonna be movie tie ins and anime cats in the multiplayer like there was in Vanguard? I hated that shit.

I'm sure they will be doing as many tie-ins/promos as they can to make $$$.

I haven't played a COD campaign in forever either, maybe since OG COD:MW2. But they included some multiplayer unlocks for finishing the campaign and I needed that dopamine, y'know? And I am honestly glad they did because it's really good and they clearly spent a lot of time/money on it. I might go back and play the first Modern Warfare campaign too. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Keirik said:

A few things to consider on your end:

1 - Building a PC is far more intimidating than it is hard. At this point, most things are plug-and-play; the most challenging parts all have to do with your motherboard connection, specifically to the case and to the processor. If you're going to fuck up, it's there. And even then, most motherboards and cases come with very clear instructions to avoid making those mistakes. The premium for having someone else build your PC is high enough to consider learning how to do it yourself.

2 - Don't forget an OS. Do not be that guy. And get a cheap optical drive since for some reason, OS installers still come on disks and not flash drives.

3 - Make sure the output peripherals match the guts. Getting a top-of-the-line graphics card without the monitor(s) to handle the output is pretty pointless - and those monitors cost quite a bit. With a 3080, you'll want at LEAST a 2k, probably a 4k display; those will run upward of $250 each on the lower-end. If you're seriously considering a 4090 or a 4080 (I think they're powerhouses but far too pricey for the difference between generations right now), you should also consider at minimum a 4k and to future-proof fully, a 5k monitor. Those are very expensive, and even for future-proofing, not worth the price. Most of today's more demanding games max out their resolutions either at 2k or 4k (some exceptions, Cyberpunk 2077 being one), and that's not likely to change much.

As for new tech? There's ALWAYS new tech. Very little you buy today is going to be premium in 5 years, but if you buy top-end now, you'll probably not have to think about upgrades for that long at least. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the OS, get a flash drive and install this on it. There's plenty of guides on how to boot from a flash drive to install an OS, and most mobos do it automatically now.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

Then buy a Windows key on ebay for $15, saving you $100.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

For the OS, get a flash drive and install this on it. There's plenty of guides on how to boot from a flash drive to install an OS, and most mobos do it automatically now.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

Then buy a Windows key on ebay for $15, saving you $100.

TIL. Super useful, thanks.

Just now, LindG1000 said:

TIL. Super useful, thanks.

"Operating system providers HATE this secret!"

But in actuality, they sell off keys in bulk and they end up on 3rd party sites. If you need a reco and a discount code from a reputable source, the youtube channel below is often sponsored by scdkeys with 10-15% off. I've bought three keys on that site with zero issues. Email with the key gets delivered in seconds. 

https://www.youtube.com/c/GregSalazar

You also don't need to activate windows and can use it for free, just some limitations like a watermark in the bottom right hand corner of the screen and you can't change your background. I'm sure there's other restrictions but nothing to stop you using your computer to do stuff.

5 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

On prebuilt or custom: I prefer custom every time because the folks making prebuilts aren't as professional or A-grade quality as one might expect. Gamers Nexus has been buying prebuilts for the past year or so and reviewing them, and a lot of them are pretty scary. Plus you pay an upcharge for convenience. I can refer you to many videos from LTT and JayzTwoCents if you do decide to build it yourself. Microcenter also offers a build service if you buy your parts there. Your closest location is likely Westbury (I believe you're on LI?). I love (swear by) that store for PC components.

For future proofing, most of the new technologies just released.

CPUs: Intel 13th gen launched a week ago, and the pure power is awesome. AMD released Ryzen 7000s a month or so ago. I have had three AMD chips in a row, but at this point I'd recommend Intel. They are compatible with both DDR4 and DDR5 RAM, depending on the motherboard you purchase.

RAM: AMD is DDR5 only. DDR5 is expensive, and the motherboards that use it are expensive. DDR4 is more affordable, and has minimal performance decline versus the newer technology in processes like gaming and everyday computing. 

GPUs: Nvidia just launched the 4000 series with the 4090, with the 4080 20GB coming sometime next month. None of their other SKUs have been officially announced yet. The NVIDIA 3000 series is having some great deals, and you can get 5+ years at 1440p resolution out of an NVIDIA 3070, 3070Ti, or 3080 no problem. AMD has some solid performers as well, and the 6800XT is a strong combination of performance and reasonable price. 

Agree with all of these points particularly going down the custom built path (whether doing it yourself with some DIYs or paying a hardware shop $50 to do it for you). 

I've been spec'ing out an Intel vs. AMD build for my upcoming PC as well and it looks like Intel is the way to go with the current generation. Not only do they appear to have the gaming performance but on productivity as well. The only thing that would tip the favor for AMD would be if they massively cut pricing. But at current prices, Intel all the way. 

The DDR4 vs. DDR5 discussion is getting a bit more interesting. Since @Keirik is looking to build something future proof, I'd recommend paying the extra $50 or so for a DDR5 based motherboard plus the extra $50 or so premium on DDR5 modules, which are coming down in price on a weekly basis and much closer to DDR4 pricing than they were a few months ago.

And definitely agree with @LindG1000's point about buying a worthy display if you're going to get a high end GPU like a 3000/4000 series nVidia or 6000/7000 series AMD. I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread but the LG C2 42" (if you have the space) is an incredible 4K display with all of the HDMI 2.1 gaming featured you'd want. If it's too big for your desk, then Dell and Samsung have 34" QDOLED monitors available as well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Karan said:

Agree with all of these points particularly going down the custom built path (whether doing it yourself with some DIYs or paying a hardware shop $50 to do it for you). 

I've been spec'ing out an Intel vs. AMD build for my upcoming PC as well and it looks like Intel is the way to go with the current generation. Not only do they appear to have the gaming performance but on productivity as well. The only thing that would tip the favor for AMD would be if they massively cut pricing. But at current prices, Intel all the way. 

The DDR4 vs. DDR5 discussion is getting a bit more interesting. Since @Keirik is looking to build something future proof, I'd recommend paying the extra $50 or so for a DDR5 based motherboard plus the extra $50 or so premium on DDR5 modules, which are coming down in price on a weekly basis and much closer to DDR4 pricing than they were a few months ago.

And definitely agree with @LindG1000's point about buying a worthy display if you're going to get a high end GPU like a 3000/4000 series nVidia or 6000/7000 series AMD. I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread but the LG C2 42" (if you have the space) is an incredible 4K display with all of the HDMI 2.1 gaming featured you'd want. If it's too big for your desk, then Dell and Samsung have 34" QDOLED monitors available as well. 

I probably would go with DDR5 just for that exact reason. As for the monitor, I'd go with the best one in my price range when the time comes and buy a better desk if that were an issue. I wouldn't design a Pc around the size of my desk as I'd probably have it in my finished basement with tons of space. Cant wake the wife up lol.

6 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

A few things to consider on your end:

1 - Building a PC is far more intimidating than it is hard. At this point, most things are plug-and-play; the most challenging parts all have to do with your motherboard connection, specifically to the case and to the processor. If you're going to fuck up, it's there. And even then, most motherboards and cases come with very clear instructions to avoid making those mistakes. The premium for having someone else build your PC is high enough to consider learning how to do it yourself.

2 - Don't forget an OS. Do not be that guy. And get a cheap optical drive since for some reason, OS installers still come on disks and not flash drives.

3 - Make sure the output peripherals match the guts. Getting a top-of-the-line graphics card without the monitor(s) to handle the output is pretty pointless - and those monitors cost quite a bit. With a 3080, you'll want at LEAST a 2k, probably a 4k display; those will run upward of $250 each on the lower-end. If you're seriously considering a 4090 or a 4080 (I think they're powerhouses but far too pricey for the difference between generations right now), you should also consider at minimum a 4k and to future-proof fully, a 5k monitor. Those are very expensive, and even for future-proofing, not worth the price. Most of today's more demanding games max out their resolutions either at 2k or 4k (some exceptions, Cyberpunk 2077 being one), and that's not likely to change much.

As for new tech? There's ALWAYS new tech. Very little you buy today is going to be premium in 5 years, but if you buy top-end now, you'll probably not have to think about upgrades for that long at least. 

This is all awesome advice. Thank you. I'm in such an early phase of this so I'm trying to absorb a lot of info and watch videos along the way. I have plenty of time on my hands for now so hopefully in the next coming months i concrete an idea.

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

I probably would go with DDR5 just for that exact reason. As for the monitor, I'd go with the best one in my price range when the time comes and buy a better desk if that were an issue. I wouldn't design a Pc around the size of my desk as I'd probably have it in my finished basement with tons of space. Cant wake the wife up lol.

This is all awesome advice. Thank you. I'm in such an early phase of this so I'm trying to absorb a lot of info and watch videos along the way. I have plenty of time on my hands for now so hopefully in the next coming months i concrete an idea.

Good luck man, as mentioned above PC building is pretty much plug-and-play and even though it may seem very intimidating at first, there are plenty of DIY guides out there that make it easier.

One more thing you'll need to consider is air vs. liquid cooling depending on the TDP of the Intel/AMD CPU you decide to go with. Each has it's pros and cons but if you're looking to build a system that'll last you ~5 years and not have to worry about the hassle/reliability concerns of liquid cooling (though they are more reliable than most would think, just not quite as much as air cooled), then a solid air cooler will be the way to go. Of course you'll have to consider space limitations within your case when the time comes. 

26 minutes ago, Karan said:

Good luck man, as mentioned above PC building is pretty much plug-and-play and even though it may seem very intimidating at first, there are plenty of DIY guides out there that make it easier.

One more thing you'll need to consider is air vs. liquid cooling depending on the TDP of the Intel/AMD CPU you decide to go with. Each has it's pros and cons but if you're looking to build a system that'll last you ~5 years and not have to worry about the hassle/reliability concerns of liquid cooling (though they are more reliable than most would think, just not quite as much as air cooled), then a solid air cooler will be the way to go. Of course you'll have to consider space limitations within your case when the time comes. 

Question. Does liquid cooling literally mean no fans at all? My current gaming pc that was built for me has fans and a good amount of them but with animals in the house, it gets a lot of pet hair inside. Is this not a problem with liquid cooling? 

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

Question. Does liquid cooling literally mean no fans at all? My current gaming pc that was built for me has fans and a good amount of them but with animals in the house, it gets a lot of pet hair inside. Is this not a problem with liquid cooling? 

Yeah that's understandable if you have a high air flow case with a lot of intake fans, they're going to need regular dusting. Although I think high air flow cases like the Fractal Torrent make the mesh filters easy to clean out rather than having to get at the fan blades.

With regards to liquid cooling, no it's not completely fanless. The liquid part only refers to the fluid being used to cool at the actual CPU chip itself. The warmed up liquid gets pumped through to a radiator which will have anywhere between 1 to 3 fans on it to exhaust the heat before the cooled liquid gets pumped back to the CPU, essentially a closed loop. Liquid coolers are definitely more expensive than air coolers, and obviously require compatible cases where you can mount the radiators to.

• Thanks 1