• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Must Face Georgiev Issue

Sod16

Could it possibly have been an attempt to showcase the Russian to the Sabres, who have all sorts of goaltending problems? If so, let’s file that under questionable ideas that went very wrong.

And something is wrong with Georgiev. Off with his technique. Off with his confidence. Georgiev’s .858 save percentage through five starts ranks last in the NHL among the 52 goaltenders with at least 250 minutes. The Rangers never know when the 25-year-old is going to make a save. It is an impossible way to go.

Georgiev, unhappy with his status as backup to Shesterkin, has wanted out for a while, even if he might never have formally requested general manager Chris Drury to trade him. The Blueshirts made Georgiev available over the summer, but never got more than a nibble. Now, they may not even get that.

It is unclear whether the hierarchy — in this case that would include goaltending coach Benoit Allaire — believes that 24-year-old Adam Huska would be ready to step up into the NHL. Huska, the 184th selection of the 2015 draft who then played at UConn, has sparkling numbers for the Wolf Pack, posting a .938 save percentage and 1.81 GAA.

Georgiev, a pending restricted free agent with arbitration rights, is carrying a $2.425 million cap hit that is pricey for a backup. It is possible — possible — that he might clear waivers if the Rangers opt to make that move. But a claim of Georgiev would leave the club with a neophyte behind Shesterkin. That would not be ideal.

https://nypost.com/2021/11/22/rangers-win-doesnt-change-their-alex-georgiev-problem/

He speculates that Georgiev might clear waivers at this point considering his cap hit.  It's come to a head, and I'm guessing something might well finally happen in the next week or so.

2 hours ago, Sod16 said:

https://nypost.com/2021/11/22/rangers-win-doesnt-change-their-alex-georgiev-problem/

He speculates that Georgiev might clear waivers at this point considering his cap hit.  It's come to a head, and I'm guessing something might well finally happen in the next week or so.

It really can’t get worse than Geo. .858 save percentage is laughably bad.  He seems to play so small and this year he looks like he’s scrambling like crazy. He’s not an NHL goalie at the moment. Can he become one again? Who knows but I’m definitely ok with the risk of dropping him down. Huska’s Hartford numbers are really good and Kinkaid’s aren’t terrible either. I think the Geo we’ve seen for the last two + years is very easily replaced.

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

It really can’t get worse than Geo. .858 save percentage is laughably bad.  He seems to play so small and this year he looks like he’s scrambling like crazy. He’s not an NHL goalie at the moment. Can he become one again? Who knows but I’m definitely ok with the risk of dropping him down. Huska’s Hartford numbers are really good and Kinkaid’s aren’t terrible either. I think the Geo we’ve seen for the last two + years is very easily replaced.

It's not just laughably bad, it's the worst in the league.

1 hour ago, siddious said:

I dunno what happened to him. I feel like he has regressed in the last two seasons. In any case you simply can’t have him start another game for this team. 

And that we kept him and had Hank $5.5M against the cap last year when we could have had him on LTIR costing nothing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

And that we kept him and had Hank $5.5M against the cap last year when we could have had him on LTIR costing nothing. 

Well, yes, technically but when the Rangers were making decisions, no one knew Hank had a heart defect. 

Georgiev looked decent in his first season but the longer he sits on the bench the worse he gets, which is not idea for someone playing behind Shesterkin. 

I didn't realize Huska's stats were so good. I'd still rather have Kincaid over everyone at the moment. 

1 minute ago, ThirtyONE said:

Well, yes, technically but when the Rangers were making decisions, no one knew Hank had a heart defect. 

Georgiev looked decent in his first season but the longer he sits on the bench the worse he gets, which is not idea for someone playing behind Shesterkin. 

I didn't realize Huska's stats were so good. I'd still rather have Kincaid over everyone at the moment. 

True, and at the time, they didn't need to buy him out though. They chose to do that because the 3G rotation was uncomfortable. My point is that they made the wrong decision, seeing how it all played out.

Agree with the last 2 paragraphs, especially not letting Geo sit. That's why I was saying in the other thread that he had to play last night.

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

True, and at the time, they didn't need to buy him out though. They chose to do that because the 3G rotation was uncomfortable. My point is that they made the wrong decision, seeing how it all played out.

Agree with the last 2 paragraphs, especially not letting Geo sit. That's why I was saying in the other thread that he had to play last night.

That’s serious hindsight though. At the time the organization decided to go with the future, which was supposed to be Geo. 

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yeah, in hindsight, they botched that. 

And I have no problem with Geo playing last night, either. He HAS to play at some point. If you can't start your backup against Buffalo, when are you supposed to start him? 

From my perspective, Gallant has give all the players rope to either succeed or hang themselves with and in Georgiev's case, it's the latter. At some point Drury has to pull the plug on the experiment and it seems like that time is coming.

• VINNY! 1
  • Applause 1

I figured there'd be a thread on Georgie today...

Good Lord he was just terrible in net again last night.  He looks so shaky in goal.  There's no confidence there....I don't think the team even has any in him at this point.  They played such a better third period last night in front of Shesty.  In fact they looked like a vastly different team, with much better puck possession time.  I don't think it was a coincidence either.

• Phil changed the title to Rangers Must Face Georgiev Issue

He’s a weird goalie. The talent is actually there. As much as I and everyone else shit on him (and rightly so), he has shown flashes in his tenure here. But the flashes are just too far and few between. I understand backups are not going to steal games for you the way your star No. 1 will. But, they’re also not supposed to lose you games. And he has done that for us, and a lot the last little while.

I don’t know if it’s lack of focus, being sourpuss about not playing more and what it is. But when the starter is getting a night off and has to come in to bail you out, especially against a team like Buffalo that is not the 80s Oilers, there’s an issue.

I have always believed Igor would benefit from a veteran backup who could understand the role of a backup and could step in and play his 20 or so starts at an NHL-caliber level. And right now, we are a ways away from that.

At this point, I think it’s just time to make a switch and place him on waivers to see if anyone puts in a claim (doubtful) or let him clear and send him to Hartford and let Kinkaid get a crack. Kinkaid isn’t the ideal option either, and I get that. But at this point, he can’t be any worse than Georgiev. I just don’t get how they can justify giving the guy another start.

• VINNY! 1

2 hours ago, ThirtyONE said:

Could have planned to use him as a split/backup.  Didn't NEED to buy him out, as they did nothing at all with the cap savings. He could have had the proper send off and they wouldn't have to carry the buyput. Georgiev should have been dealt 2 years ago, for what ever they could have gotten THEN.

Maybe then they would still have 2, almost PPG right handed D men and a better PP. 

I used to be a pretty staunch supporter of Georgiev. Like Richie said, the talent is there, but he's just way too mentally weak.

He's been trending downward since December of 2019 when he had that absolutely awful month and they called up Shesterkin in January. While he still had decent games that season, I don't think he's ever recovered from that and having to compete with Shesterkin. While Shesterkin was set up to be the goalie of the future, I think Georgiev felt he had a legitimate chance to challenge him but just caved under the pressure. Combine that with the dust up with TDA last season and just further struggles.

I think he just needs a fresh start somewhere. He's young and he can still grow, but he needs less pressure on him. He could probably revive his career in Arizona or something. NY is way too big of a spotlight and he's still trying to fight a battle he lost two years ago.

• VINNY! 4

I tend to doubt that he would get taken on waivers based on: (1) no one was ready to pay a modest price for him in the off season when he was worth more than he is now; and (2) given that no one is going to qualify him at $2.6 at the end of the season, he is a de facto pending UFA and no one wants a pending UFA who is playing poorly.

If he goes down and is playing well in January, we can always call him up and have the benefit of the Georgiev from a couple of years ago.

long covid?

It was mentioned prior to last season that several Rangers had COVID and recovered prior to camp (when Zibanejad was out). I'm not looking so dont quote me on that if you dont want to. I dont recall his name being mentioned. I was never high on him, but last season and this season was a different level of not-good-Georgiev.

Looking at his stats from last season, he was pretty dominant against the Islanders and Philly for whatever reason, going 950. And 960. respectively. He's only 25 so hopefully if he goes down he can build his game back and clear his head. We've all seen him play some outstanding games but he's not that player right now. Thanks for stopping by Georgie, you take care now.

7 hours ago, Kevin said:

The problem with Huska is that while his numbers this year are good in a handful of games, the rest of his AHL career is pretty trash