• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Mika Extension 'May Happen In Next Few Weeks'

LindG1000

I can’t understand the argument for Eichel over Zib at this point. If Zib is an unknown what exactly does that make Eichel who is no closer to a resolution in his injury now than he was 8 months ago? Zib has proven himself. Pay the man and deal with the back end of the contract then.

• Applause 1

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

I can’t understand the argument for Eichel over Zib at this point. If Zib is an unknown what exactly does that make Eichel who is no closer to a resolution in his injury now than he was 8 months ago? Zib has proven himself. Pay the man and deal with the back end of the contract then.

Bingo.

Moreover, we're conveniently ignoring the fact that Eichel is't a free agent, and the Sabres have self-sabotaged this to this point because they're not going to get bent over a barrel for him. They'd rather let him rot than sell him for pennies on the dollar. What about this situation gives anyone the idea they're about to change their minds?

It's not Eichel versus Zibanejad. It's Eichel + neck surgery + the slew of assets you have to trade to acquire him versus Zibanejad. No-brainer.

• Applause 2

22 minutes ago, CCCP said:

You’re speculating on everything here. There’s no guarantee that the cap will go up. Mikka could be a concussion away from hanging them up. Eichel will still be in his prime when our kids are and ready to challenge for the cup. Mika will be ancient.  You’re looking at now not then

If we're waiting four more years for Laf, Kakko, Fox, Lundkvist, and the rest of them to "be ready", we're already fucked. The Mika deal won't matter either way. We need them to be ready this year or next to be 2nd line+, and transition the team leadership to them in 3-4 years. That's the plan. We sign Mika to lead for window 1, and transition in window 2.

As for the cap going up - they've tripled the TV element of HRR. It's going up once the escrow debt is paid off. It's not even a debate; it's a mandate from the CBA. Not at all a speculation.

1 hour ago, G1000 said:

If we're waiting four more years for Laf, Kakko, Fox, Lundkvist, and the rest of them to "be ready", we're already fucked. The Mika deal won't matter either way. We need them to be ready this year or next to be 2nd line+, and transition the team leadership to them in 3-4 years. That's the plan. We sign Mika to lead for window 1, and transition in window 2.

As for the cap going up - they've tripled the TV element of HRR. It's going up once the escrow debt is paid off. It's not even a debate; it's a mandate from the CBA. Not at all a speculation.

Yes, 3-4 years for them to be in their prime. Lundkvist hasn’t played an NHL game yet. By the time he’s seasoned NHLer, Zibby and Panarin are 2-3 years from retirement who will be getting paid over $20M of the cap. 
i know some are saying “we’ll deal with it then” but we’re not contending for the cup now, we most likely will be serious contenders in then. 
i feel the same way with Panarin. He’s great now but will he be this great when the team will need him the most to contend 

And that's contingent on you being right that they're still years out. If that's the case, then I'd argue they're not going to win, period, because they shot their shot too soon.

I don't think they're even close to four years out. I think they're one year out. I actually think they can do real damage this season.

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

I saw some recent pictures of Kakko and it looks like he got pretty jacked in the offseason. Considering the strides he made last year, and with a new coach in place, I hope this is the year where the offensive production can match his physical improvements and we get a great year from him.

I'm sure he's a little bigger but it's also his pads. Check out his his elbow pads they're enormous. 

5 minutes ago, CCCP said:

Yes, 3-4 years for them to be in their prime. Lundkvist hasn’t played an NHL game yet. By the time he’s seasoned NHLer, Zibby and Panarin are 2-3 years from retirement who will be getting paid over $20M of the cap. 
i know some are saying “we’ll deal with it then” but we’re not contending for the cup now, we most likely will be serious contenders in then. 
i feel the same way with Panarin. He’s great now but will he be this great when the team will need him the most to contend 

4 years from now we'll be talking about the need to re-sign Panarin. Kreider will be gone. Trouba will likely be gone. Zib will be 32 - and we've just watched a bunch of NHL centers of similar caliber play well into their 30s at the same level they'd historically played at. 

At any point - it's "we need Panarin/Kreider/Zib/Trouba to carry the kids to their prime" before we worry about what the kids do in their primes. 

8 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I'm sure he's a little bigger but it's also his pads. Check out his his elbow pads they're enormous. 

Trouba's shoulder pads maybe the biggest I've ever seen on a non-goalie. He looks square.  Crazy how big the pads are getting which I'm sure contributes to the increase in head injuries.

Edited by jsrangers

7 minutes ago, G1000 said:

4 years from now we'll be talking about the need to re-sign Panarin. Kreider will be gone. Trouba will likely be gone. Zib will be 32 - and we've just watched a bunch of NHL centers of similar caliber play well into their 30s at the same level they'd historically played at. 

At any point - it's "we need Panarin/Kreider/Zib/Trouba to carry the kids to their prime" before we worry about what the kids do in their primes. 

+1

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Call me crazy, but I'm fine with this. Everyone will shout about Eichel, but that situation feels like it won't end any time soon. Stick with the devil you know.

You're not crazy, I don't think people really understand or appreciate how good this guy is. Recency bias over post COVID hangover.

There aren't many C's in the league I'd take over him, today. Maybe just Strome. 

Celebrate Ryan Strome GIF by New York Rangers

Edited by Pete
  • LOL 2

30 minutes ago, Phil said:

And that's contingent on you being right that they're still years out. If that's the case, then I'd argue they're not going to win, period, because they shot their shot too soon.

I don't think they're even close to four years out. I think they're one year out. I actually think they can do real damage this season.

Optimistic of you but i dont see how you can say they’re going to do damage when Laf only played 57 games in the NHL, Kakko just showed promise last year but we’re yet to see what he can do, our D is yet to get some experience and playing time. If they do make the playoffs, they will be out in the first round and that’s okay. 

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

You're not crazy, I don't think people really understand or appreciate how good this guy is. Recency bias over post COVID hangover.

There aren't many C's in the league I'd take over him, today. 

“Today”!!  Yes but we’re not competing today, we’ll be hopefully in couple of years. The rumor is they might extend him to 8 years at as much as $10M per. Would you want him here in 4-5 years at $10M per?

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

There aren't many C's in the league I'd take over him, today. Maybe just Strome. 

I joined you on the Strome-Wagon last year and I'm gonna hop on board again this year...I'm waiting for that Ballsy prediction thread!   We better save a few bucks to resign him to a sweet deal going forward!

Dude's a stud!!!

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

Right. I mean, we know he can perform here. We've seen it. Multiple years. Including the actual post-Covid hangover when he was, if I recall correctly, the hottest goal-scorer in the entire league down the stretch.

I'm paying for reality over promise every day.

7 minutes ago, CCCP said:

“Today”!!  Yes but we’re not competing today, we’ll be hopefully in couple of years. The rumor is they might extend him to 8 years at as much as $10M per. Would you want him here in 4-5 years at $10M per?

Nonis gets shit for it (because Clarkson), but he was absolutely right when he told reporters “I’m not worried about [year] six or seven right now. I’m worried about [year] one."

Worry about 2028 in 2028, not 2021.

33 minutes ago, CCCP said:

Yes, because we play hockey today. And in four or five years, also yes.

I don't know why this is that type of devil you know conversation. Mika at 8 years is a 1C in the league for the Rangers. We need a 1C. If we're not paying Mika to be the 1c for 8 years we are going to be paying someone else. Why pay to replace him? I know we're talking about this in the lens of the Eichel conversations, but those were never Mika or Eichel, it was what if we had both of them? That's completely different. Signing this guy long term to a reasonable deal that a normal 1c makes is a great idea, because he's a normal 1c who a little bit more wax and wane than other 1Cs in the league, like a Bergeron type. Maybe he's soft in the playoffs, no idea until we get there. Not a reason to hold a guy's contract when he's most certainly going to make the money anywhere he goes.