• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Mika Extension 'May Happen In Next Few Weeks'

LindG1000

4 hours ago, CCCP said:

Who’d want to trade for a 34-35 year old with a $9-$10M cap hit?  And buyouts arent free. Signing him to a long crippling deal is just not looking for whats best for the team long term, but rather what’s best for right now. We already have enough long expensive contracts, plus Fox will command around $10M per. No need for an aging center on a long term deal

Sure, if you're ok with Strome being a 1C. I suppose an argument could be made that our wing/defensive talent could outweigh our low tier 1C in Strome, borderline at best 2C Chytil, borderline at best 3C in Barron and 3 or 4C Goodrow, but in that case it's Strome or Zib. Both almost certainly want a mid/long term deal, so the trade target if not them would be Kreider or Trouba in 2-4 years. I would think Mika can sustain 1C type of play better than Strome and has already proven it considering his stats. When you're spending 8-9 million, why not stick with a proven asset knowing you none in the pipeline or FA to replace them with?

4 hours ago, Kevin said:

I can’t understand the argument for Eichel over Zib at this point. If Zib is an unknown what exactly does that make Eichel who is no closer to a resolution in his injury now than he was 8 months ago? Zib has proven himself. Pay the man and deal with the back end of the contract then.

I think it comes down to Eichel being a legit #1C. Top 5 C in the league... (oh, when healthy) and potential to be elite.

Zibanejad has had 1.5 seasons of top-level play, is older, and also has a history of health problems himself.  He will be 29 when his deal kicks in. Meaning 7 year deal, say, at the same cap hit as Eichel, has him at $10m as a 36 year old. That's just as scary as experimental neck hold outs.

55 minutes ago, josh said:

I think it comes down to Eichel being a legit #1C. Top 5 C in the league... (oh, when healthy) and potential to be elite.

Zibanejad has had 1.5 seasons of top-level play, is older, and also has a history of health problems himself.  He will be 29 when his deal kicks in. Meaning 7 year deal, say, at the same cap hit as Eichel, has him at $10m as a 36 year old. That's just as scary as experimental neck hold outs.

No it isn't. 

5 hours ago, CCCP said:

You’re speculating on everything here. There’s no guarantee that the cap will go up. Mikka could be a concussion away from hanging them up. Eichel will still be in his prime when our kids are and ready to challenge for the cup. Mika will be ancient.  You’re looking at now not then

Everyone is one concussion aways from hanging them up. Eichel can't even play today and is hinging his career on experimental spinal repair never been performed on a hockey player. There is no "prime" for him. He's damaged goods. 

But tell us your plan for 1C without Mika?

27 minutes ago, Pete said:

Everyone is one concussion aways from hanging them up. Eichel can't even play today and is hinging his career on experimental spinal repair never been performed on a hockey player. There is no "prime" for him. He's damaged goods. 

But tell us your plan for 1C without Mika?

Strome.  Like me now?

43 minutes ago, Costa said:

As long as there is no NMC, pay him what he wants. 

I think the days of top players signing long term deals without some kind of trade protection are over.  The best I think we can hope for is that it's limited as time goes on and not total.

20 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

I think the days of top players signing long term deals without some kind of trade protection are over.  The best I think we can hope for is that it's limited as time goes on and not total.

Been over. He will 100% have trade protection in the deal, likely through the first half, minimum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Doesn't matter. If the the question is "Is Zibs health as much a concern Eichel?", You're right. 

Answer: No

Not the next 2 seasons. in 3 seasons, who knows. But Zibanejad still has 7 more years on his contract then, eichel doesn't. 

Again, I'm just saying. My original post was giving a different perspective. That's all. 

He's going to get a 7-8 year deal for 9 or 9.5 per and, of course, a NMC.  It's not worth debating if we should do it, because we don't have much choice.  Eichel is not a better option for all the reasons discussed, and there is not another available elite 1C.  Anyone we might get in the alternative would have issues of some sort in terms of age, term, injuries etc.

Drury has gotten the memo about making the playoffs, and not signing Zib would put that in jeopardy, if not this year then next.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sod16 said:

He's going to get a 7-8 year deal for 9 or 9.5 per and, of course, a NMC.  It's not worth debating if we should do it, because we don't have much choice.  Eichel is not a better option for all the reasons discussed, and there is not another available elite 1C.  Anyone we might get in the alternative would have issues of some sort in terms of age, term, injuries etc.

Drury has gotten the memo about making the playoffs, and not signing Zib would put that in jeopardy, if not this year then next.

Will he get a NMC to term?? That's my question. If it's like the first 4 years then the last 4 M-NTC, I could live with it.

• 2 weeks later...