• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Mika Extension 'May Happen In Next Few Weeks'

LindG1000

Via Vince's "New Ice City" Podcast - around the 47 minute mark

I am not reporting that I believe it's going to get done during camp, but I believe it's something the Rangers are exploring. There is at least a chance that we will hear about a Mika Zibanejad extension in the next few weeks. This is all contingent on Zibanejad bringing his AAV down. 

I think the Rangers will need to go to 7-8 years to get this done, likely in the 8-9 range, maybe slightly over 9.

I have the sense right now that discussions are happening.

Honestly...what more does Mika need to do to prove himself here? 20th in the NHL in P/GP over the last 3 seasons (and over Point/Game in that period). Only 4 centers have scored more goals than he has in that period (Matthews, Draisaitl, McDavid, Mackinnon). 

I'd love to see more defensive responsibility from him, but I have to imagine he will be worth the deal for at least 4 of the 7 or 8 seasons he will sign for. Worry about 2026 when we get there - if it's 7 years, 62M...that's going to look just fine against a 90M cap. For now - every player on that list is going to make more than him within the next 18 months if they don't already. Most of the players behind him on that list make more than he will (or in the same range) too (Tavares, Stamkos, Point, Crosby, Brakov).

We're good here. 

• Applause 1

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Call me crazy, but I'm fine with this. Everyone will shout about Eichel, but that situation feels like it won't end any time soon. Stick with the devil you know.

Nah man, I don't think you're crazy for thinking this way.  Mika's been sensational for us, and I haven't felt a whole lotta love for Eichel since the beginning of his whole trade debacle.  I'm glad to dance with the girl we brought to the party, so to speak!

I think we have to keep an eye on those purse strings a bit this season, because we have Fox and Strome who are up after this campaign, and we're gonna need every dollar we have.

10 minutes ago, CCCP said:

He doesn’t have to prove anything. He’s old with history of injuries and concussions. A long-term contract will take him to 37. What’s the point of locking him up long term?

We all know that most of these deals are "pay for the next four, figure out the last 3"

We all know that the majority of long term FA contracts - no matter how bad they are - almost never finish on the signing team's active roster

We all know that centers get paid more than most other positions

We all know that the cap rarely if ever prevents a team from pursuing a legitimate target or retaining their talent.

And we all know how LTIR works.

It's time for us to just recognize that this is how the business works and stop pretending like paying a very productive player at a position of need less than what he'd make if he went out to the market is somehow problematic. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, G1000 said:

We all know that most of these deals are "pay for the next four, figure out the last 3"

We all know that the majority of long term FA contracts - no matter how bad they are - almost never finish on the signing team's active roster

We all know that the cap rarely if ever prevents a team from pursuing a legitimate target or retaining their talent.

It's time for us to just recognize that this is how the business works and stop pretending like paying a very productive player at a position of need less than what he'd make if he went out to the market is somehow problematic. 

I dont agree. We’re not contenders. We probably wont be for another 3-4 years. I dont want an old $9-$10M zibby preventing this team from going all the way.  Like I said, I rather have Eichel who’s still going to be in his prime in 4-5 years 

15 minutes ago, CCCP said:

He doesn’t have to prove anything. He’s old with history of injuries and concussions. A long-term contract will take him to 37. What’s the point of locking him up long term?

What other options do we have? He is a proven performer here. A buy out down the line may happen but why worry about that now when we are on the cusp of playoffs and entering our window?

1 minute ago, CCCP said:

I dont agree. We’re not contenders. We probably wont be for another 3-4 years. I dont want an old $9-$10M zibby preventing this team from going all the way.  Like I said, I rather have Eichel who’s still going to be in his prime in 4-5 years 

Eichel might not even be playing hockey by then. 

Just now, jsm7302 said:

What other options do we have? He is a proven performer here. A buy out down the line may happen but why worry about that now when we are on the cusp of playoffs and entering our window?

What’s the point of locking him up long term? So he can put up points for the next 3-4 years and then become the next brad Richards ?

1 minute ago, CCCP said:

What’s the point of locking him up long term? So he can put up points for the next 3-4 years and then become the next brad Richards ?

That deal looks like a bargain in 3-4 years and teams pay for experience on a playoff run, he certainly would be a good attainable asset if we arent making playoff runs by then.

Trade or buy out down the line should not stop us from signing at a good AAV. Deal with issues as they present themselves and right now, he is the right guy for the job.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CCCP said:

What I posted is not a matter of agreement. It's a matter of fact - everything there is unequivocally true. The whole point of my post is that our "opinions" on how these long contracts work are pretty much all wrong when you look at the facts of it.

Further, the idea that we'd off a center who has outperformed Eichel, will make less than Eichel, and is currently much healthier than Eichel - plus the assets to acquire Eichel - that would set us back further than any contract Mika would realistically agree to ever could. 

I wonder what Eichel makes when his contract expires right in the middle of when you think our contention window will open and the cap is 12% or more higher. Are we talking...13 a year? 15? More? At age 29? 

• Applause 2

15 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Facts GIF by Judge Jerry

1 minute ago, jsm7302 said:

That deal looks like a bargain in 3-4 years and teams pay for experience on a playoff run, he certainly would be a good attainable asset if we arent making playoff runs by then.

Trade or buy out down the line should not stop us from signing at a good AAV. Deal with issues as they present themselves and right now, he is the right guy for the job.

Who’d want to trade for a 34-35 year old with a $9-$10M cap hit?  And buyouts arent free. Signing him to a long crippling deal is just not looking for whats best for the team long term, but rather what’s best for right now. We already have enough long expensive contracts, plus Fox will command around $10M per. No need for an aging center on a long term deal

6 minutes ago, G1000 said:

What I posted is not a matter of agreement. It's a matter of fact - everything there is unequivocally true. The whole point of my post is that our "opinions" on how these long contracts work are pretty much all wrong when you look at the facts of it.

Further, the idea that we'd off a center who has outperformed Eichel, will make less than Eichel, and is currently much healthier than Eichel - plus the assets to acquire Eichel - that would set us back further than any contract Mika would realistically agree to ever could. 

I wonder what Eichel makes when his contract expires right in the middle of when you think our contention window will open and the cap is 12% or more higher. Are we talking...13 a year? 15? More? At age 29? 

You’re speculating on everything here. There’s no guarantee that the cap will go up. Mikka could be a concussion away from hanging them up. Eichel will still be in his prime when our kids are and ready to challenge for the cup. Mika will be ancient.  You’re looking at now not then

Said this back in July and it still holds true: given the numbers we now know, it's pretty easy to see a path forward that keeps Zibanejad locked in long-term. Zib "wants" $10M x 7 or 8. Rangers "want" (presumably) $7.5 x 5 or 6. I'd expect a deal to be announced somewhere in the vicinity of $8.5M x 6/7.