• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Trade Pavel Buchnevich to STL for Sammy Blais, 2022 2nd-Round Pick

Phil

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This also guarantees the league will have a player safety meeting and once again snip the balls off of gritty players who walk the line and fight (save for the usual pieces of shit like Marchand and Wilson).

League always trends opposite of what the Rangers do.

I don't want to hear a God damn thing from anybody about "unnecessary penalties", after adding these guys.

After these 2 massive overpayment, you have to wonder what mean D man they are willing to throw assets at.

It’s certainly fair to call this underwhelming. Buch did have a fantastic year last year. He had the same point total as Point, Pastrnak, more than Wheeler, Palat, Barzal, etc.

Who knows. I get the money aspect of it, but I do think it might have been better to go through arbitration first if the return was this. So,etching tells me this return was still similar even if Buch was offered a tad higher than his worth.

It’s certainly fair to call this underwhelming. Buch did have a fantastic year last year. He had the same point total as Point, Pastrnak, more than Wheeler, Palat, Barzal, etc.

Who knows. I get the money aspect of it, but I do think it might have been better to go through arbitration first if the return was this. So,etching tells me this return was still similar even if Buch was offered a tad higher than his worth.

AmericanJesus and I were musing about this earlier and came to the conclusion that if the Rangers still had their 2nd, this deal would probably have been Buch + 2 for Blais + 1, which would have had a better initial appearance.

Aso, Buch's QO was $5.4 million. Well above the ability to walk away. There's no way they wanted to go to arbitration.

AmericanJesus and I were musing about this earlier and came to the conclusion that if the Rangers still had their 2nd, this deal would probably have been Buch + 2 for Blais + 1, which would have had a better initial appearance.

Aso, Buch's QO was $5.4 million. Well above the ability to walk away. There's no way they wanted to go to arbitration.

I just think that even if Buch got 6+ or so in a one year arb, we still had the cap room to make him fit this year and have all year to revisit this. Time will tell and this keeps a bit more room if they feel they want to spend it I guess but not likely with the other guys up for a contract next offseason.

The other side I don’t like about this is him being rfa next year and ufa the following year. With the contracts coming up, the Rangers have to almost hope he doesn’t actually do anything above what he’s already displayed. There isn’t much wiggle room if he actually turned into something especially at his position on our roster. I suppose you could say this about anyone on our team but at wing it’s even more of a problem.

Betting the ask from Buchnevich was really high. And they knew they couldn’t do it without making another sacrifice down the line, kinda like they’re doing now with Buchnevich at least in part due to having paid CK.

Blais is a nice player who really brought a great element to St Louis.

He’s going to be hard to play against, which is something they desperately need.

It’s a low return though. But I have to believe this happened in part due to a significantly bigger move on the horizon

Just have to wait

Just a great job by Drury in an attempt to re-shape the roster resemble an actual hockey club. Dealing from depth, creating cap space, and no sacrifice of the youth pipeline.

Losing a guy like Buchnevich is tough, but he's expensive, and redundant. They have to bet on Kakko and Lafreniere continuing to grow. It's a good bet.

• Like 1

Buchnevich is a losing player. He's soft. He has no toughness. Using your stick, taking dumb penalties is not toughness. In 8 games vs. the Islanders this season Buchnevich had 0 points in 7 of them. That basically sums him up and several other pansy forwards on this team. Most of the Rangers fan base doesn't seem to want to accept the fact that hockey is a 4 line game. That size on defense matters. That physical play matters. Having third and fourth lines that can shut down other teams best lines matters. Winning faceoffs matters. As great as Messier, Richter and Leetch were, the Rangers don't win the cup without Matteau. They don't win the cup without that Noonan line. Noonan who really scored the game winning goal in game 7. They don't win the cup without McTavish winning a crap load of draws on the 4th line. You have to win games 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 in the playoffs while playing north-south hockey. Not this east-west finesse crap the Rangers have been doing the past 3 years.

Yeah, I'd agree with this. When he was drafted he had a reputation as a bit chippy, and as a bit of a pest. None of that was the fact in this league. Good skill, but not remarkable. I'd be more than fine with him staying if cap considerations weren't a thing, but that's not the case, and I think Drury put it best. It's just simple math.

I think most Rangers fans are underrating by a wide margin the value Blais can bring to the team. I don't think he's tapped his full potential at all. He wasn't coming at a discount.

He played on the FIRST line in the PLAYOFFS when they won a Cup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think most Rangers fans are underrating by a wide margin the value Blais can bring to the team. I don't think he's tapped his full potential at all. He wasn't coming at a discount.

Yes, I've mostly lurked this off season, as I don't have the energy to get in to it, but I thought the teams needs were pretty stark as they wilted down the stretch. I thought everybody was in agreement.

Then the off season hits, and all I saw was post after post about POINTS. POINTS. HOW MANY POINTS? POINTS POINTS POINTS.

Yeah I was concerned about this along with the Goodrow signing possibly meaning we weren’t looking to get tougher in our top six but only in the bottom six. And also concerned we lost Buch for too little but the more I see about Blais the more I’m starting to like it. And being able to slot up and bring that toughness and grit to the top six in tough games and playoffs is huge for us.

In NHL 21 Blais is Top 6 potential, and they're always right.

Seriously though, 24 yrs old, physical, cost controlled, cup winner, offensive skill in lower leagues can mean he potentially has just under Buch's point total this year but creates turnovers, screens goalies and gives other guys room to work with. If he gets the chance, he even has finish in his game.

Every team wants a player like this. St. Louis has Perron and Schenn, if Blais reaches that level this is a steal for a 6th rounder.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Right. They trusted a 22 year old kid with that role, even if he didn't produce much on the scoresheet.

He just turned 25. His production has trended upwards on low ice time. 35 point pace last year on 12 min playing a heavy brand of hockey. The kid hasn't even played 2 full season's worth of games yet, even if you roll in the playoff experience. He's played 146 games of NHL hockey. Mostly because of a wrist injury and covid shortened seasons.

Yes, I've mostly lurked this off season, as I don't have the energy to get in to it, but I thought the teams needs were pretty stark as they wilted down the stretch. I thought everybody was in agreement.

Then the off season hits, and all I saw was post after post about POINTS. POINTS. HOW MANY POINTS? POINTS POINTS POINTS.

You haven't missed much. Mostly arguments about which soft players should be traded first, and reduxes on DeAngelo.