• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Trade Pavel Buchnevich to STL for Sammy Blais, 2022 2nd-Round Pick

Phil

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plays in-your-face hockey and is a beast on the forecheck. Is a solid hitter and a major disruptive force when on the ice. Was a dynamic offensive player with a history of strong point production at lower levels but is more of a role player in the National Hockey League. Injuries are part of the game with his rambunctious style. Can play either wing position and is equally effective on both sides.

http://www.sportsforecaster.com/nhl/player/10954

^never heard of this website before but never the less...

Underwhelming return, but I think other moves are coming. That's a lot of salary freed up and we still had piles of cap to use.

There are precisely three reasons this makes sense:

1 - Buchnevich's salary demands depressed his value

2 - We're clearing space for something else

3 - Drury is an idiot and in way over his head

I'd like one and or two to be true instead of 3. Let's see.

Underwhelming return, but I think other moves are coming. That's a lot of salary freed up and we still had piles of cap to use.

Agreed. I don't think it's space freed for a trade either. I think they're gonna be hard after Landeskog and just worry about who exactly will play in what position later.

Terrible. I've said before I wouldn't do Buchnevich for Eichel straight up. He's the only two-dimensional offensive player we had. Never backs down from a scrap. Doesn't take any crap from anyone. Very, very underwhelming return. That should have been a first round pick or there should have been a prospect included, minimum.

Agreed. I don't think it's space freed for a trade either. I think they're gonna be hard after Landeskog and just worry about who exactly will play in what position later.

I will cream my pants if they do that. I haven't given it much thought because I just didn't think it'd be realistic. Mostly because "omg he's a wing". But when you really think about it, they can get cheap players and futures for Buch and Strome. Cap space freed up for Landeskog. The futures develop and eventually help off balance the heavy cap players at the top years down the road.

shows how much of a crap year last year really was. I know the front office was overhauled sort of and the coach changed, but one of if not the the biggest takeaway from last year was the development of Buchnevich into a high impact player on both sides of the puck. At least statistic wise he was. Then given up for very little. They were almost better off signing him to another bridge deal even if he had arb rights and trade him after signing with every GM knowing exactly how much they would have to pay him. I'm not understanding this return at all. There are guys out there for the 4th line without trading someone in the top 6 to get him. That is unless this is a precursor for a bigger move.

And on top of his on-ice production, you got the sense that Buch was a very popular teammate within the locker room. It's obviously hard to put a trade value on that, but definitely makes this return even more disappointing.

I will cream my pants if they do that. I haven't given it much thought because I just didn't think it'd be realistic. Mostly because "omg he's a wing". But when you really think about it, they can get cheap players and futures for Buch and Strome. Cap space freed up for Landeskog. The futures develop and eventually help off balance the heavy cap players at the top years down the road.

I also think back to Gallant's presser when he took over where he mentioned he'd speak to Laf about where he was comfortable playing. There might be some indication that there's some flexibility with where guys are comfortable playing even if they have history elsewhere. Landeskog might not fit a positional need but he absolutely addresses an organizational need. I also think there's some merit to the history he has with Zibanejad.