• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Trade Pavel Buchnevich to STL for Sammy Blais, 2022 2nd-Round Pick

Phil

Interested to see what they do with the freed up cap space...you can't judge this trade until you know what fills that void. If they sign Landeskog, then essentially the trade was Buch for Landeskog, Blais, and a 2nd rounder...that looks a lot better, no?

Sorry but no.

You dont sell you house for less because you may or may not win the lottery.

Plain and simple Drury did not get fair value for an asset.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. I don't think it's space freed for a trade either. I think they're gonna be hard after Landeskog and just worry about who exactly will play in what position later.

Eh. I guess if you look at it as 7 million X 7 years for Buch finishing that contract at 33 years old vs. 8 million X 7 years of Landskog finishing the contract at 35 years old I guess you can justify it given the value that Landskog plays center. If Landskog lands closer to 9.5-10 million; not so much. In reality though, if this was a cap space clearance thing,they should have just traded Strome(or Strome plus a prospect) for Blais.

Eh. I guess if you look at it as 7 million X 7 years for Buch finishing that contract at 33 years old vs. 8 million X 7 years of Landskog finishing the contract at 35 years old I guess you can justify it given the value that Landskog plays center. If Landskog lands closer to 9.5-10 million; not so much. In reality though, if this was a cap space clearance thing,they should have just traded Strome(or Strome plus a prospect) for Blais.

St. Louis may not have wanted or needed Strome. Strome is still on the block, anyway. He's probably moved in another deal of his own.

St. Louis may not have wanted or needed Strome. Strome is still on the block, anyway. He's probably moved in another deal of his own.

Maybe. Probably more than likely. Then you don't make that deal then; you either get St. Louis to sweeten the pot or or get up from the table with your almost point per game 2 way forward and see if anyone else has a 3rd line grinder that is willing to make an equitable deal. Just terrible asset management imo.

I also think back to Gallant's presser when he took over where he mentioned he'd speak to Laf about where he was comfortable playing. There might be some indication that there's some flexibility with where guys are comfortable playing even if they have history elsewhere. Landeskog might not fit a positional need but he absolutely addresses an organizational need. I also think there's some merit to the history he has with Zibanejad.

I wasn't aware of the history between Landeskog and Zibs. Interesting.

Good buddies since 8 years old? This could have legs....

Maybe. Probably more than likely. Then you don't make that deal then; you either get St. Louis to sweeten the pot or or get up from the table with your almost point per game 2 way forward and see if anyone else has a 3rd line grinder that is willing to make an equitable deal. Just terrible asset management imo.

I don't agree with the deal but I can understand if there's a bigger and better picture that takes shape. On its own, it's pretty rough.

I think that's why people think this was a move to clear cap, rather than getting a return.

Right, we traded an arb eligible, probable $6 million ticket... for a $1.5 ticket, non arb eligible. There's a cost there.

Right. Zib just lost one of his best friends on the team. Time to get him his old one.

Alternatively, the rumor the other day about going after Coleman might have legs as well. Drury might be looking at this as Coleman + Blais for roughly the cap hit Buchnevich was going to cost.

While I agree they maybe should have gotten more, I think a lot of the league knows he is soft when a physical game is played. Many of his points came against soft teams and when going against teams like the Isles, he all but disappeared.

Add the fact that he will command a good penny as an RFA, we got in return, closer to what he is actually worth.

As a buddy of mine put it, if he plays with Taresenko, he may put up 50/60pts and maybe 30 goals, but he does not play, nor is he built to handle the playoff style of hockey, which is what this team really needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are precisely three reasons this makes sense:

1 - Buchnevich's salary demands depressed his value

2 - We're clearing space for something else

3 - Drury is an idiot and in way over his head

I'd like one and or two to be true instead of 3. Let's see.

is it bad that i laughed at #3 because i dont think but feel it's where we could be heading