• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Rights to Barclay Goodrow from TBL for a 2022 7th

LindG1000

Because the graphs say he'll be quick to regress and isn't much of an offensive contributor. It's common knowledge that any physical player going into their 30s is going to regress and given his resume no one is really expecting him to be an offensive piece. I look at the Islanders carrying Martin and Clutterbuck along through their early 30s with no problem. No one is expecting them to contribute offense. Goodrow is set to be paid a hair more than Clutterbuck. I would say that Clutterbuck has lived up to his contract.

Drew and I going back and forth some off forum - he basically needs to be Cal Clutterbuck to live up to this deal.

That actually seems quite reasonable.

We really don't need the offensive production from guys like this, I think. All those check boxes we've been asking for are pretty much in play with Goodrow. I'm gonna pick a lane here, boys...and I'm gonna support this one. Maybe he looks slow those last 2 years of his deal, but I think the value he brings to these kids is going to be more of what we DON'T see...not what we do.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drew and I going back and forth some off forum - he basically needs to be Cal Clutterbuck to live up to this deal.

Yep. Their deals are almost identical with Clutterbuck at $3.5M x 5 signed at 29. Goodrow $3.6M x 6 signed at 28. As you mentioned, that's 4.4% of the cap for Goodrow and 4.8% for Clutterbuck. It's a fair deal as long as Goodrow stays healthy enough to contribute even as a fourth liner.

Because the graphs say he'll be quick to regress and isn't much of an offensive contributor. It's common knowledge that any physical player going into their 30s is going to regress and given his resume no one is really expecting him to be an offensive piece. I look at the Islanders carrying Martin and Clutterbuck along through their early 30s with no problem. No one is expecting them to contribute offense. Goodrow is set to be paid a hair more than Clutterbuck. I would say that Clutterbuck has lived up to his contract.

Clutterbuck is a 4th line winger making the same money as Goodrow who is likely to be used as a 3rd line center....

Islanders 3rd line center has a 5.750m cap hit....

Of course it's reasonable. Clutterbuck is a 4th liner. People are comparing him to Cizikas. Also a 4th liner. 3.6 is a good price for a 3rd line player, center or otherwise.

If Goodrow is a 3rd line center then how will we win games? That's a terrible 3rd line center. He has just 63 points in his last 207 games. He's a good 4th liner, though a horribly overpaid one now. If he's on your 3rd line you have a problem.

Lightning didn't have any issue winning games with him on the 3rd line.

• Like 1

If we're comparing to the Islanders then look what the Islanders just had to deal to get rid of Ladds bad contract.

Ladd was signed to be a top-six player and got hurt. Doesn't compare. If you want to draw a comparison there, it's Clutterbuck.

Lightning didn't have any issue winning games with him on the 3rd line.

we dont have Kucherov, Vasilevsky, Hedman, Stamkos, Point signed at under $10mil each.

We will be having Kreider-Goodrow-??? at $10mil so far as a 3rd line.

Literally this. The reigning back-to-back champs just used him on their third line with no issue but it's bad if the Rangers do? Excuse me?

He also played more than Steven Stamkos in the cup clinching game, so yeah... lol. People wanted to get a better bottom 6 but some how get it for free? I don't know what people expected to pay a proper 3rd line LW/C.

we dont have Kucherov, Vasilevsky, Hedman, Stamkos, Point signed at under $10mil each.

We will be having Kreider-Goodrow-??? at $10mil so far as a 3rd line.

What does this have to do with anything? The team that just won the cup twice in a row used him as a 3rd liner. Why can't we use him in that role?

If Goodrow is a 3rd line center then how will we win games? That's a terrible 3rd line center. He has just 63 points in his last 207 games. He's a good 4th liner, though a horribly overpaid one now. If he's on your 3rd line you have a problem.

You don't need him to score there. You put him with Kreider and Barron, or Kreider and Cuylle, or Kreider and Chytil even, and just grind teams down.

But yet is still fully capable of it. The Lightning had a wealth of centers.

Center is more important than the other spots on a line. If that wasn't true we wouldn't be so worried about centers or even discussing Eichel. If this guy with no offense is centering your 3rd line then you're going to have a pretty shitty 3rd line. If he's a wing fine, but then he's still overpaid and harder to justify the money. This was a deal done out of desperation.

The Rangers aren't Tampa. If we were we wouldn't be trying to fix so many things this offseason.

What point are you trying to make? No one said the Rangers were Tampa. You claimed he wasn't a 3rd liner, but that was wrong. He is, and has been.

The Rangers aren't Tampa. If we were we wouldn't be trying to fix so many things this offseason.

What do you mean trying to fix so many things? The Rangers are plugging holes and exhibiting a culture change. Tampa literally had to do that two years. Goodrow helps address the "issues" that the Rangers are trying to fix.

Center is more important than the other spots on a line. If that wasn't true we wouldn't be so worried about centers or even discussing Eichel. If this guy with no offense is centering your 3rd line then you're going to have a pretty shitty 3rd line. If he's a wing fine, but then he's still overpaid and harder to justify the money. This was a deal done out of desperation.

He played center the two seasons prior. I'm not concerned. This isn't a player who wasn't playing center because he's a bad one. It's because Tampa had six centers and he wasn't better than Gourde at center who is really good.

What do you mean trying to fix so many things? The Rangers are plugging holes and exhibiting a culture change. Tampa literally had to do that two years. Goodrow helps address the "issues" that the Rangers are trying to fix.

For way too much money that is going to be a big problem in a couple years. How many guys do we have to buyout before we learn? It's a bad contract for a marginal player.

To play wing and because they were close to winning a cup and didn't have to be committed to him into his mid 30's. Now they are correctly saying goodbye even after giving up the 1st because they are probably sickened by the price as well.

Or maybe because they're in a cap jam from having competed for so long and couldn't afford him.

To play wing and because they were close to winning a cup and didn't have to be committed to him into his mid 30's. Now they are correctly saying goodbye even after giving up the 1st because they are probably sickened by the price as well.

this could not be further from the truth - only one team this offseason was $18m over the cap, and that's Tampa. Doesn't matter if this guy wanted 750k to stay, they couldn't pay him. Unless they're planning on cheating the cap again, which they're likely not.