• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Rights to Barclay Goodrow from TBL for a 2022 7th

LindG1000

I've never heard the argument that a cup winning team is not keeping a player because that player sucked. Tampa can't afford half their roster next season. They certainly didn't suck.

Let me say it again. Goodrow played 2nd line minutes in the cup clinching game of the season. He played more than Steven Stamkos in a 1-0 game.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does this have to do with anything? The team that just won the cup twice in a row used him as a 3rd liner. Why can't we use him in that role?

You said they won back to back cups, are you saying it had nothing to do with the players listed and more to do with Goodrow playing LW on line 3?

For way too much money that is going to be a big problem in a couple years. How many guys do we have to buyout before we learn? It's a bad contract for a marginal player.

How many third liners have we bought out with the expectation that they remain third liners? Anyone who's been bought out by the Rangers was someone who was expected to sustain a higher level of play. Guys who were expected to be top defensemen and top-line centers. Not third liners. The Rangers haven't bought out a single third liner.

You don't need him to score there. You put him with Kreider and Barron, or Kreider and Cuylle, or Kreider and Chytil even, and just grind teams down.

We're going backwards in time. I don't agree with any of the philosophy in the first place and I think this all going to fail miserably, but that's besides the point. If Cuylle is actually ready then this makes this desperation contract even worse. Those line combos are awful, give you no offenses and waste Kreider who you are also paying a boatload of money. So far I think Drury made poor coaching choice, gave out a terrible contract and screwed up the protection list, so I think this whole thing is going to be a train wreck personally.

For way too much money that is going to be a big problem in a couple years. How many guys do we have to buyout before we learn? It's a bad contract for a marginal player.

apparently we love having dead cap. The problem isn't the $ it's the 6 years, if this was a 4 year deal it wouldn't be an issue.

And because you get the freedom to take it apart after you've won back to backs, and start retooling.

Right. Chicago retooled multiple times between 2010-2015 with no issue. Guys like Byfuglien, Ladd, Versteeg, etc. were key role players who were priced out. It happens and it's not a slight towards the players.

I actually think think 4m cap hit isn't all that terrible for a proper 3rd line player with a defined role. If the Rangers are going to fill these roles with more than scrub level, AHL tweeners and rookies then there's a price to pay. Plus, like you mentioned, if they're using him as a center (which the sharks did) then a pay increase is even more manageable.

It's Kreider's 6.5 on the 3rd line that kills you in the long run, not Goodrow. But I expect Kreider to be moved in a few years.

I'd also expect a something like a 2m signing for a 4th liner this summer. Again, I can imagine people will be pissed about that, but if you want actual role players, not guys you're taking a flyer on, then you have to pay up. We've seen what taking a flyer on fringe NHLers gets you over the last 4 years, and it's not much. So if you want to pay peanuts, you get what you pay for.

Yeah to be fair, if the extra millionish comes from not having a jack johnson or bitteto just there for no reason it’s not THAT big a deal. I do really hate the 4 million number though, 3-3.5 would be a lot nicer or if the 4 million it’s gotta be less term.

Right. Chicago retooled multiple times between 2010-2015 with no issue. Guys like Byfuglien, Ladd, Versteeg, etc. were key role players who were priced out. It happens and it's not a slight towards the players.

Exactly.

Look at the guys they left unprotected, they are trying to move Stamkos. To say they are moving Goodrow because he's not good AND wants too much is silly. They left Palat unprotected, he's their #1LW. They have no cap room, at all. Goodrow is a luxury for them.

We're going backwards in time. I don't agree with any of the philosophy in the first place and I think this all going to fail miserably, but that's besides the point. If Cuylle is actually ready then this makes this desperation contract even worse. Those line combos are awful, give you no offenses and waste Kreider who you are also paying a boatload of money. So far I think Drury made poor coaching choice, gave out a terrible contract and screwed up the protection list, so I think this whole thing is going to be a train wreck personally.

Man, did you watch the playoffs and see a bunch of grind it out teams just dismantle go-go teams? Montreal offed Toronto, Vegas offed Colorado, Florida, Caorlina, and the Islanders all ran into Tampa (which is somewhat unfair, because Tampa, the one team that could do both - won). Minnesota nearly ended Vegas. Montreal outground Vegas. The Islanders put the Penguins and Bruins out to pasture.

Back in time my ass; the formula is adapt-to-survive, and the Rangers are tracking to be Toronto south in short order if they don't adapt.

• Like 1

This trade helps us quite a bit on the 3rd line, I believe. I think our top 6 is pretty well set, and I expect that also to improve with the Buchnevich outcome, whether we keep him or trade him.

Goodrow is not coming to play "production" minutes in my estimation. This guy is here to break the homogeneity of what this team has been the last 2 years...A broken record of perimeter players that play a soft game. I don't think we're getting a Gretzky for $3.6 million, and by the time we even come close to wanting to trade or buy him out, we'll have ZERO buyout dollars.

What's the buyout on the last 2 years of this deal going to be? Fly shit, compared to what we pissed away on Shatty and Hank.

Drew leaves bigger tips on the bar than what it will be!! :rofl:

Nah really, I like this one for us...cost us shit in assets, and brings us some much needed leadership, and toughness, and also a solid "change of pace" player.

You said they won back to back cups, are you saying it had nothing to do with the players listed and more to do with Goodrow playing LW on line 3?

Do you think one player is ever responsible for winning a Stanley Cup? Goodrow played 17 minutes per night for the Stanley Cup winners and executed his role to perfection. There were three goals scored against Goodrow's line over the course of the entire playoffs. Do you think they won in spite of him?

Oh. So you just enjoy complaining. Got it.

• Like 1

Kreider doesn't make a "boatload". $6.5M is fair value. Only issue is that he was given the deal pre-Lafreniere.

I mean, I don't know how you can critique Drury because he exposed candidates for the 12th/13th forward and didn't hire Ivan Hlinka 2.0.

• Like 1

Kreider doesn't make a "boatload". $6.5M is fair value. Only issue is that he was given the deal pre-Lafreniere.

I mean, I don't know how you can critique Drury because he exposed candidates for the 12th/13th forward and didn't hire Ivan Hlinka 2.0.

Probably complained when Oscar Lindberg was exposed too.

Man, did you watch the playoffs and see a bunch of grind it out teams just dismantle go-go teams? Montreal offed Toronto, Vegas offed Colorado, Florida, Caorlina, and the Islanders all ran into Tampa (which is somewhat unfair, because Tampa, the one team that could do both - won). Minnesota nearly ended Vegas. Montreal outground Vegas. The Islanders put the Penguins and Bruins out to pasture.

Back in time my ass; the formula is adapt-to-survive, and the Rangers are tracking to be Toronto south in short order if they don't adapt.

giphy.gif

Seeing him become a whipping boy this early, before the deal is even signed, makes me want to see Goodrow succeed even more. Now I know what Pete feels with Strome.

GOodrow!

He's becoming my favorite Ranger already.....Move over Kakko, you have company!! LOL

If I'm reading this correctly appears anything short of a 7 year 10.5 million or 5 year 8.75 million dollar deal is a crime. Nice work Droolry... noob loser.

Its almost like... a UFA gets more on the open market???? A positively shocking concept.

$6.5 won't be fair value any longer if he actually spends a season playing on a line with Barclay Goodrow and Will Cuyle. I'm critiquing everything he's done so far, I simply don't like his protection list. Our bottom 6 center right now are Goodrow and Rooney who combined for 34 points last year. We had better have the best PP in the league if we are going to keep up offensively.