• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Rights to Barclay Goodrow from TBL for a 2022 7th

LindG1000

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the term. Not really loving the number. That's probably 250K too high at a minimum.

As I said earlier, he'd best be good for 3c minutes here, else this is going to be a rough one.

If it makes you feel any better, G man.....we have $2.5 million in cap freeing up after the '22-'23 season....we certainly can use him, and we gave up peanuts to get him.

..and as long as we don't write in a NMC, we can always trade him, if need be....

If it makes you feel any better, G man.....we have $2.5 million in cap freeing up after the '22-'23 season....we certainly can use him, and we gave up peanuts to get him.

I'm not like...cataclysmically pissed about this or something. We badly need a big, physical, defensively minded forward, and I'm thrilled we can bring rings, size, experience, leadership, physicality - all in one package no less.

That's a number that sets expectations - he really needs to be the guy he was on Tampa. If he takes the 3c spot at ES, is the go-to PK center, and gives us high 20s points, it's worth every fucking penny. It just feels like an ask that's just a hair too much given his history.

• Like 1

I'm not like...cataclysmically pissed about this or something. We badly need a big, physical, defensively minded forward, and I'm thrilled we can bring rings, size, experience, leadership, physicality - all in one package no less.

That's a number that sets expectations - he really needs to be the guy he was on Tampa. If he takes the 3c spot at ES, is the go-to PK center, and gives us high 20s points, it's worth every fucking penny. It just feels like an ask that's just a hair too much given his history.

Summed up well imo.

I agree, man...But I think at 28 years old, 6' 2" 215 lbs, with all the credentials he brings....he is right in line of what we've been looking for ("checking the boxes"), so to speak ;).

To overpay by $250K is a whole lot different than to overpay by $2 million like we did for Trouba.

I actually think it's a pretty good score for Drury to get him for a 7th rounder!!! We have enough goalies, don't we?? :rofl:

Love the term. Not really loving the number. That's probably 250K too high at a minimum.

As I said earlier, he'd best be good for 3c minutes here, else this is going to be a rough one.

Other way around for me. Six years is the tougher pill because he's 28, so this takes him to 34. 34-year-old, physical bottom-six players tend to fall apart.

The deal is fine, though. This isn't going to cost them anything or anyone.

Ahh Ok, Winter...I really didn't know that. Not sure how Seattle would benefit from that though...he could still sign with another team if they picked him, right?

Seattle can negotiate with unprotected UFAs but he's already been negotiating with the Rangers. I doubt they'd select him without checking in and given negotiations I'm sure he'd tell them no thank you.

Ahh Ok, Winter...I really didn't know that. Not sure how Seattle would benefit from that though...he could still sign with another team if they picked him, right?

they can talk to the player about a deal unlikely they'd take anyone who didnt say they were interested in signing with em -- Seattle is currently dealing with a great deal of "leaks" and "alleged" injuries on exposed players. It's getting ridiculous as im not sure Seattle even has time to do medical checks on every player they'd be interested in, so likely chatter of Goodrow contract at 3.6 will turn them off.

I agree, man...But I think at 28 years old, 6' 2" 215 lbs, with all the credentials he brings....he is right in line of what we've been looking for ("checking the boxes"), so to speak ;).

To overpay by $250K is a whole lot different than to overpay by $2 million like we did for Trouba.

I actually think it's a pretty good score for Drury to get him for a 7th rounder!!! We have enough goalies, don't we?? :rofl:

Yeah, that's probably right. I think the uncertainty around the flat cap is part of my calculus here - you overpay one guy by 250k, no biggie, but you make that mistake four times and suddenly you're out a key players raise...etc..

I think there's a calculated gamble on the cap actually going up in 23-24 baked into some contracts we've seen signed too. Flat for last year, flat for this year, flat for next (22-23), but maybe not in 23-24 when things have had two years recovery?

Either way, this is a contract he's going to need to improve his game to earn.

Seattle can negotiate with unprotected UFAs but he's already been negotiating with the Rangers. I doubt they'd select him without checking in and given negotiations I'm sure he'd tell them no thank you.

they can talk to the player about a deal unlikely they'd take anyone who didnt say they were interested in signing with em -- Seattle is currently dealing with a great deal of "leaks" and "alleged" injuries on exposed players. It's getting ridiculous as im not sure Seattle even has time to do medical checks on every player they'd be interested in, so likely chatter of Goodrow contract at 3.6 will turn them off.

Thanks guys, I wasn't too sure how it worked. The last time I remember an expansion team it was the California Golden Seals!!! :rofl: I'm kidding!!

Yeah, that's probably right. I think the uncertainty around the flat cap is part of my calculus here - you overpay one guy by 250k, no biggie, but you make that mistake four times and suddenly you're out a key players raise...etc..

I think there's a calculated gamble on the cap actually going up in 23-24 baked into some contracts we've seen signed too. Flat for last year, flat for this year, flat for next (22-23), but maybe not in 23-24 when things have had two years recovery?

Either way, this is a contract he's going to need to improve his game to earn.

Let's hope for the best, man! I watched that fucker play a bunch of damn good playoff games! Just pack that shit up from Tampa, and bring these kids some experience, size, grit, and toughness. Hopefully it's contagious!!! :thumbs:

I'm not a fan of Drury at all so far. This is just stupid. Guys like this break down around 30 and we'll have him for 4 more years after that. I also hate signing guys from cup winning teams because it over blows their value and normally makes them look way better than they are. They were just part of team that completely clicked to become the best in hockey and now your gonna have them in someplace totally different. Who knows what you get? This is a pretty big mistake for a marginal player.

I would like to say that the money would hurt so bad if we didn't have so many buyouts, but contracts like this are the reason we do. Drury doesn't seem any different.

I don't know why everyone's crying about it on twitter. 3.6 for a 3rd line forward (center?) isn't absurd. We all know the term is meaningless as we've seen with pretty much every long contract signed by the Rangers.

Because the graphs say he'll be quick to regress and isn't much of an offensive contributor. It's common knowledge that any physical player going into their 30s is going to regress and given his resume no one is really expecting him to be an offensive piece. I look at the Islanders carrying Martin and Clutterbuck along through their early 30s with no problem. No one is expecting them to contribute offense. Goodrow is set to be paid a hair more than Clutterbuck. I would say that Clutterbuck has lived up to his contract.