• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Trading Panarin?

10 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

We've seen how he has performed in tight checking games during the regular season, its not a shock at all that he isn't producing.....its more of how much he is turning over the puck, which as I said in the other thread he must be injured b/c I have never seen someone of his caliber fumble so many pucks, or whiff on a number of passes.

He's taking 2plus minute shifts.  Hard to believe he's hurt.  Just not competing

I would rather have Matthews than Panarin. 

Matthews is not gonna be a Ranger until he's 35

Panarin is our guy. I suspect he's playing injured but even if he's not, he's a dynamic player who, on any given night, can take over and win a game for us. He might not be having the best playoffs but he's still a guy that opponents will zero in on, regardless of how he's been playing.  He's locked in as a Ranger, he isn;t going anywhere. Talk of trading the best player we've had in years is laughable

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Plays in the middle of the ice, yeah. Much better player. Orders of magnitude better.

Not the point. Will cost more than Panarin. Still loses. Can't have $22+M tied up in 2 centers. 

I'm not a big fan of the speculation that Panarin has an injury to explain his play, in this thread and elsewhere.  I think it's more likely that his pass-first philosophy and perimeter play is less effective in the playoffs when cross-ice passes are harder to complete, as opponents pay more attention to coverage.

definitely another possible explanation. 

I dont want to try and find the tweet but Someone posted. video of Kreider doing hard fist bumps to all the players after a win and then being super gentle with Bread. Lead the twitter-sphere to diagnose him with some kind of hand/wrist injury.

More generally, his shots and passes seem to be far less explosive than usual. 

Regardless, nothing about his play these playoffs so far makes me think the Rangers should trade him

You'd be able to keep Copp and Strome, plus sign another $5-6mil winger and have future space for Key and Laf's next contracts. Would be about the same playoff performance. Can't have over $11mil tied up in a non-factor and try to win in spite of the guy taking up 14% of the cap. 

EDIT: Could even pave the way for a different Russian winger that has something to prove.

Edited by Cash or Czech

Unfortunately, I think we're kinda stuck with him. 

1) He helped us get here. Without Panarin's regular season, this team isn't near the top of the division and it's impossible to say what would have happened, but we might not even be a playoff team. 

2) Contract - lot of money to move. You'd have to find someone who's like, "Yeah, we want Artemi Panarin at that price" and be willing to give up a lot, but you're not packaging Panarin with something shiny to get a team to take him. The trade partner has to want him and want him bad. 

This kinda sucks cause his playoff performance has been terrible. I attribute the OT game winner to a "broken clock is right twice a day."

• Keeps it 100 1

We have to stop with the injury stuff though. EVERYONE playing right now is injured, yet they are still trying to engage. Panarin isn’t. And it’s been happening for a long time but it gets brushed over in the regular season. He just hasn’t figured it out yet. We have to hope he eventually does because he’s going nowhere. 

I have had time to calm down, cool off and collect myself after last nights loss. And even still, I am so utterly disgusted with this guys performance the last month that it’s making me want to ram my head through a wall. Going into the playoffs, if you would have told me we would be where we are, I’d have smiled and been all about it, just like most of us. The issue here is I didn’t think it would be Panarin holding us back here or making this many mistakes; I suspected it would be some of the kids. Panarin has been here and succeeded here before. He’s played playoff hockey and knows what it’s like; that time and space are limited. I just don’t get what the hell is going on here. 

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

We have to stop with the injury stuff though. EVERYONE playing right now is injured, yet they are still trying to engage. Panarin isn’t. And it’s been happening for a long time but it gets brushed over in the regular season. He just hasn’t figured it out yet. We have to hope he eventually does because he’s going nowhere. 

To be fair, it's easier to play a grinder role than a playmaking/goalscorer role if you have a problem with your hands. He's not taking the shots he used to and some of his passes looks awkward af, so I would be surprised if he's not been struggling with something.

3 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I have had time to calm down, cool off and collect myself after last nights loss. And even still, I am so utterly disgusted with this guys performance the last month that it’s making me want to ram my head through a wall. Going into the playoffs, if you would have told me we would be where we are, I’d have smiled and been all about it, just like most of us. The issue here is I didn’t think it would be Panarin holding us back here or making this many mistakes; I suspected it would be some of the kids. Panarin has been here and succeeded here before. He’s played playoff hockey and knows what it’s like; that time and space are limited. I just don’t get what the hell is going on here. 

Well, look at the bright the side. The younger guys that will be here for a long time is taking a huge step and show that they can actually carry a team deep in the playoffs, even when our older superstar is not playing at superstar level.

It's really only Panarin. Kreider is his normal self, Mika is playing like a madman, Vatrano/Copp/Goodrow/Motte/Reaves are doing their job nicely and the kids are playing the best hockey of their careers. It could be way worse.

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

No, we don't, because he's right. 👇

37 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

To be fair, it's easier to play a grinder role than a playmaking/goalscorer role if you have a problem with your hands. He's not taking the shots he used to and some of his passes looks awkward af, so I would be surprised if he's not been struggling with something.

And I'll also go one step further, it's easier for Barclay Goodrow to take an Oxy and throw a skate on to skate in straight lines at people than it is for Panarin to play through something like a bad knee (is that's what his LBI at the end of the season was) because his game depends more on cutting and lateral movement.

And to add to that (blanket statement, not for you persoanlly), what really needs to happen is fans stop throwing around the "soft" and "pussy" garbage, every player is not going to be Cam Neely, nor do they need to be. Folks should relax with that shit. I doubt there's anyone on this forum at all who'd get body slammed by Tom Wilson and show up for work the next day. 🤣

I think what gets me most about Panarin's playoff play is that he seems to have just gotten far more reckless with the puck. We've seen him try things like backhand passes through four guys through the slot, or cross-ice passes in the NZ with 3 defenders in the way - stuff like that with all too much regularity. I'm not sure if it's just that he's facing better teams, he's not as precise because of an injury, or he's feeling the pressure to produce, but it's noticeable and I think he'd be perfectly fine if he stopped trying to thread every needle.

4 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I think what gets me most about Panarin's playoff play is that he seems to have just gotten far more reckless with the puck. We've seen him try things like backhand passes through four guys through the slot, or cross-ice passes in the NZ with 3 defenders in the way - stuff like that with all too much regularity. I'm not sure if it's just that he's facing better teams, he's not as precise because of an injury, or he's feeling the pressure to produce, but it's noticeable and I think he'd be perfectly fine if he stopped trying to thread every needle.

He's also not even taking what they're giving him, he stays on the wall even when they're giving him space, daring him to make a play on his backhand. They must have noticed something either about his forehand, or his cutting ability. 

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

No, we don't, because he's right. 👇

And I'll also go one step further, it's easier for Barclay Goodrow to take an Oxy and throw a skate on to skate in straight lines at people than it is for Panarin to play through something like a bad knee (is that's what his LBI at the end of the season was) because his game depends more on cutting and lateral movement.

And to add to that (blanket statement, not for you persoanlly), what really needs to happen is fans stop throwing around the "soft" and "pussy" garbage, every player is not going to be Cam Neely, nor do they need to be. Folks should relax with that shit. I doubt there's anyone on this forum at all who'd get body slammed by Tom Wilson and show up for work the next day. 🤣

Nah. He’s not right. He just has an opinion that agrees with your opinion so it echoes with you better. If that helps you feel better about his game so be it, but it doesn’t make some sort of fact. I’ve watched Panarin take slap shots, I’ve watched him roll his wrists for wrist shots, I’ve even seem him countless times flick his wrists for silly backhand sling passes. A few times I’ve even seen him keep his feet moving. He seems to be skating just fine as long as it’s on the outside or no one near him. Once anyone gets within 5 feet, he panics and flips it somewhere else. Tom Wilson has nothing to do with anything. Weird comment. 

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

He's also not even taking what they're giving him, he stays on the wall even when they're giving him space, daring him to make a play on his backhand. They must have noticed something either about his forehand, or his cutting ability. 

Or they watched game tape of him all year. It’s not rocket science. 

27 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Nah. He’s not right. He just has an opinion that agrees with your opinion so it echoes with you better. If that helps you feel better about his game so be it, but it doesn’t make some sort of fact. I’ve watched Panarin take slap shots, I’ve watched him roll his wrists for wrist shots, I’ve even seem him countless times flick his wrists for silly backhand sling passes. A few times I’ve even seen him keep his feet moving. He seems to be skating just fine as long as it’s on the outside or no one near him. Once anyone gets within 5 feet, he panics and flips it somewhere else. Tom Wilson has nothing to do with anything. Weird comment. 

26 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Or they watched game tape of him all year. It’s not rocket science. 

Agree to disagree, there's very clearly something different about his game and this hasn't even been a physical series so I"m not sure why people talk about "contact".

But you're welcome to your opinion.

32 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's really weird to watch. 

I'm not going to sit here and pretend that teams like Tampa and Carolina are going to give him the liberties that 25 other teams might to play with his usual galaxy-brain wizardry, but he's just not taking the easy stuff. I get it to an extent - they pay him to be the guy, he wants to generate goals and chances, but...simple plays can get him there too. 

2 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

It's really weird to watch. 

I'm not going to sit here and pretend that teams like Tampa and Carolina are going to give him the liberties that 25 other teams might to play with his usual galaxy-brain wizardry, but he's just not taking the easy stuff. I get it to an extent - they pay him to be the guy, he wants to generate goals and chances, but...simple plays can get him there too. 

Tampa wouldn't be giving him anything at all if they were worried he'd exploit it. They noticed something.