• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Fire DQ, Hire Brucey B, ????, Profit!!!

Wasn't the same said about Trotz?

Yes, but ... Trotz was in the 1st coach in Nashville and was there for for 17 years. He had some pretty good teams but never the thoroughbreds that he got in DC. The Preds finished no higher than 2nd place in the Central during the regular season in that time. Given the adequate tools, Trotz won the Cup on his 4th try in Washington, winning the division all 4 years. So he certainly flirted with being that guy. But he won.

Between 2007 and 2012, Boudreau had 4 straight Caps juggernauts that crushed the Southeast division each year and never made it past the semis. He then coached a highly stocked Anaheim team that won the Pacific Division 4 years in a row. At least that time he reached the Conference finals once - and lost. All in all, Boudreau had a lot more to work with over his career than Trotz and never even got close.

You gotta put a coda on it that Trotz just took a 5th place Isles team to the Conference Finals. If there was any similar example of performance of a Boudreau team in the post season, one would have to list it as a mitigating item. There isn't.

Edit: Sorry, Trotz's Caps came in 2nd in the Metro his 1st year.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but ... Trotz was in the 1st coach in Nashville and was there for for 17 years. He had some pretty good teams but never the thoroughbreds that he got in DC. The Preds finished no higher than 2nd place in the Central during the regular season in that time. Given the adequate tools, Trotz won the Cup on his 4th try in Washington, winning the division all 4 years. So he certainly flirted with being that guy. But he won.

Between 2007 and 2012, Boudreau had 4 straight Caps juggernauts that crushed the Southeast division each year and never made it past the semis. He then coached a highly stocked Anaheim team that won the Pacific Division 4 years in a row. At least that time he reached the Conference finals once - and lost. All in all, Boudreau had a lot more to work with over his career than Trotz and never even got close.

You gotta put a coda on it that Trotz just took a 5th place Isles team to the Conference Finals. If there was any similar example of performance of a Boudreau team in the post season, one would have to list it as a mitigating item. There isn't.

Plus didn't Boudreau just don't a horrible job his last couple of years in Minnesota?

Plus didn't Boudreau just don't a horrible job his last couple of years in Minnesota?

Two 3rd place teams that went out in the 1st round. So, unspectacular Playoff performance from an unspectacular team. To me, that's less remarkable than the genuinely talented teams that ended up in a ditch.

On a completely separate note, would we really want a guy who just turned 66 trying to relate to and motivate all these blue chip kids? I mean, I'm old and sensitive to being boxed out because of age, but I think that that would be tough.

Again, he's out of work. Hire him to coach the forwards.

Quinn may not deserve ALL of the blame but this Quinn-friendly take doesn’t mention some of the inexplicable in-game maneuvers. Ice time management is a concern of mine. I’m faithful. LGR - keep playing the improved brand of competitive hockey we saw last night and I can stomach slow(er) progress this season. Yeah, I thought Beuch should have shot in OT too and not passed.

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/david-quinn-is-receiving-far-too-much-blame-for-rangers-inconsistencies-this-season/

In the contextual conversation about an organization’s success in any given sports league; who is more responsible for a winning team’s achievements or a losing team’s struggles? The players or the coaches?

The reality of the situation for the New York Rangers

Well, as the New York Rangers find their way through this Covid-shortened 56 game season, the merits and acumen of head coach David Quinn are coming into question. Since leaving the campus of Boston University to become the Blueshirts bench boss in 2018, Quinn was given the keys to a rebuilding franchise that was light years away from becoming a serious Stanley Cup contender.

Quinn’s sterling reputation of being a master communicator and relating to players not yet old enough to drink a beer was what made general manager Jeff Gorton seek him out. Since Garden management jettisoned one older fan-favorite after another to go with a full-fledged youth movement, having a head coach who excelled with young players seemed the wise way to go. New Yorkers may be impatient by nature, however even the most restless Ranger fan realized the team was going through a massive rebuild and patience was of utmost importance.

Unfair to judge Quinn while trying to win and develop kids at the same time

Now, in year three of Quinn’s tenure, an ever growing sect of Rangerstown is starting to turn sour on the Rhode Island native. Not necessarily because of the fact the Rangers have just four wins in twelve games, but partly because of the perceived snail’s pace in which prized first round draft picks Alexis Lafreni?re and Kaapo Kakko seem to be progressing, adapting and adjusting to the professional game.

Cont'd at link...

I know I'm in the minority with this, but I really would like to see Quinn get a good chance with this squad. It's not like we're stuck with him. The Rangers can cut him loose at any time, but I just have a gut feeling if we give him at least the rest of this season, we're going to see some really excellent progress out of a lot of these guys.

I realize he gets killed for Kakko and Laffy at times, but he's been pretty good with Miller and Chytil...

I just think these young guns are going to "get it" at their own pace, and I can't make Quinn the whipping boy for everything. He'll make some questionable decisions at times, sure. I just think that's part of him learning the team, and the chemistry of the guys.

I may change my mind down the road on him, but I just would like to see what he can do this year with these kids...it's still only 10 games in.

Just ask yourself if 30+ other NHL teams GM's and scouts could have been this wrong about Kakko and Laf, and you have the answer. I firmly believe Kakko and Laf would be way further along under Trotts or someone of that ilk. Have never been impressed by Quinn, the team plays flat too often, comes into the last 2 seasons out of shape, and just invents ways to lose hockey games.

Just ask yourself if 30+ other NHL teams GM's and scouts could have been this wrong about Kakko and Laf, and you have the answer. I firmly believe Kakko and Laf would be way further along under Trotts or someone of that ilk. Have never been impressed by Quinn, the team plays flat too often, comes into the last 2 seasons out of shape, and just invents ways to lose hockey games.

That's fine man, you can disagree...I'm cool with that. I just think the sample size on Laf is WAY too small yet. The kid's showing he can defend and be a responsible player. He's learning the NHL game at 19 years old, and I think he's going to be a stud on this team for many years to come.

Kakko is playing a lot better this year and each game he plays, he looks better than the last. He's been very good on defensive coverage, and hasn't had a turnover in his last 4 games! He's also 19, and has a lot to learn.

I think the sample size on Quinn is too small yet too. I can point out stuff like he's been through 2 seasons of Covid now, and yeah, he's had guys come in out of shape, as did LOTS of other teams. No training camp or exhibition season will influence that a little I believe. What about 12 million in dead cap space? I can make up more excuses than a golfer with all the shit that's gone on the last 2 seasons, but I'm not even going to go there.

I see Quinn instilling a defensive minded aspect in this team and these kids, that has now started showing up on the ice. Yeah, they still fuck up coverages and that's to be expected, because they're learning. The last few games they've tamed the Caps, Isles and Bruins pretty well in the NZ, shut them down pretty well, and got points in 2 of the 3 games. Not bad!!

Lots of guys up here think that they can or should make the playoffs this year, and that's cool! I don't. To me, this year and probably next year are the years to build this franchise into a future contender like the Patriots. A team that's going to contend for the Cup every single year. Teams are going to leave a Cocoa Puff in their drawers when they see the Rangers, headed by Laf are coming to town....kinda like we do when we talk about Ovie.

We're going to get another $13 Million to work with after this season with the cap, and yes, there are holes that need to be filled. There are players that need to be moved, released, traded and this puzzle will come together some more as we move along.

The core of this team for the next 10 years I believe is going to be Fox, Kakko, Laf, Miller, Shesty and Zibby.

I don't mind him juggling players, and the ice time stuff I can care less about. Laf is going to eventually have more ice time than any Ranger in history by the end of his career, believe me!

...and as far as candidates that could succeed Quinn, who's out there that's any good? Babcock?? Boudreau?? Those guys ain't pumping any blood into my Johnson.

I'll stick with Quinn...:thumbs:

Just for the record, Trotz was criticized in DC for his use of younger players and, I believe, was the author of the quote (or some derivative), "last time I looked, the NHL is not a development league." Doesn't look like he's doing too bad with Dobson and Wahlstrom, but it hasn't been his stock and trade.

Kinda jumping into this conversation late.

Quinn isn't perfect. I'm not always a fan of his decisions but how I've approached him is, like a young player who might make mistakes, Quinn is a young coach who is going to learn.

his Line changes suck (how often do we get called for too many men/get caught making bad changes and giving away breaks) and I was personally offended at his decision to give PDG the spot after Panarin was hurt over Laf, but I like that as a young coach he's got experienced assistants to help guide him. Hoping as the team grows and matures, so does the coach.

Quinn isn't perfect. I'm not always a fan of his decisions but how I've approached him is, like a young player who might make mistakes, Quinn is a young coach who is going to learn.

his Line changes suck (how often do we get called for too many men/get caught making bad changes and giving away breaks) and I was personally offended at his decision to give PDG the spot after Panarin was hurt over Laf, but I like that as a young coach he's got experienced assistants to help guide him. Hoping as the team grows and matures, so does the coach.

I'm with ya BBB....I think as a coach the players have to have some responsibility as well. Those Too many men penalties aren't always the coach's fault. Look at Tuukka last game!!

....Fucking guy comes charging to the bench with about a minute to go, thinking they're down 2-1, and he's a Vezina goalie!!! :rofl:

I wouldda pissed my pants if we would've put one in there!!! LOL But that sure wasn't Cassidy's fault!!!

:rofl:

Postgame tonight he said Bruins have more men than us......kind of a cringe worthy comment to make considering we had 3 fights including Buch of all people and you have Lindgren out there refusing to go to the locker room.

I get the point sort of since I assume he means going to the hard parts of the ice for goals but this was the wrong game to say that IMO or at least in the way he did.

More reasons to get Q the fuck outa here.

Postgame tonight he said Bruins have more men than us......kind of a cringe worthy comment to make considering we had 3 fights including Buch of all people and you have Lindgren out there refusing to go to the locker room.

I get the point sort of since I assume he means going to the hard parts of the ice for goals but this was the wrong game to say that IMO or at least in the way he did.